Geelong break record for most wins in a decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprising really, given the amount of true home games they get, a luxury not other Victorian sides and only a few non Victorian clubs get.

2013 I doubt, we played some good games that year but were starting to reach the end. Obviously 08 hurt and was the missed golden opportunity but I don't see any of the other finals series' as major missed chances.

I still think you'd have beaten an inexperienced, and poor-on-MCG Freo in 2013, but it is probably unfair to suggest you'd played that prelim poorly, we probably had a stronger outfit by that stage, and you'd done well to get as close to winning as you did.

Maybe last year given how we'd fared against everyone bar Sydney.

Yes, that was an odd one where in hindsight you might have actually been better off losing the final against us, and avoiding getting into the Sydney side of the draw. There was more than half a chance we could have met again in the GF had that happened, as we had gone better against Sydney and you had gone better against Dogs during the year (although I think Dogs were closer to full strength come finals than when you'd played them earlier in the year, so might have been a much tougher prospect than previous games).

Losing big games on those circumstances doesn't necessarily make the side a flop or a team of chokers. No one looks at Sri Lanka losing the 2007 World Cup final as a reflection of their pressure cricket, they look at it as an example of how great Australia were.

Agreed, but given how dominant Geelong were over the period, it still feels like the flag haul was less than it should have been. Other teams with slightly inferior H&A records got more silverware during dominant periods than Cats have added, perhaps they can tack one on this year to help balance the flag haul with the H&A record...

Equalisation measures from those eras?

Yet Hawthorn have 4 flags and 5 GF from the same decade of comparison (2008/2017). Go figure

Well done King Cold seem to have triggered a few Hawks fans (the ones that haven't jumped off already). Keep going hk89 this is amusing :)

And yet the Cats can't draw 30k to a Victorian fixture not featuring Hawthorn despite being 5-0. Say what you like about the Hawks 1-4 start but at least they've fronted up in half decent numbers (78.2k v Dons, 62.3k v Cats, 37.4k v Crows and 28.9k v Eagles) as compared to the Cats (62.3k v Hawks, 33.8k v Saints, 30.9k v North and 29.7k v Dees)

The Cats haven't even b2b'ed. Some decade of dominance lol...

Last edited:
Quite a few non-Hawthorn fans posting in the thread. I can understand how everything looks Hawthorn to a cat's fan though...
Not all look 'Hawthorn', only the stupid ones ;)

Pfft pointless thread, as the older records that were broken clearly played less games due to less teams. But we better roll out the red carpet so duckwood doesn't hurt his knees while getting knitghted

That gorgeously warm but mild sunny day in September 2008 is going to be the difference between being spoken of as possibly the greatest team of all time and being a footnote in the Hawthorn dynasty.

Them's the breaks.

#Kennettwasright

Like our 2012 gf defeat. You'd have to say the experience of 2008 turned Geelong into the afl version of the t-1000. Hard to destroy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kardinia Park win was certainly a great win for Freo, but it was also unexpected, and given the massive amount of flag experience Cats still had in their team at that stage, and the distinct lack thereof in the Freo lineup, I don't think it is a stretch to think Geelong could have reversed the QF result in the GF had they made it. You were also somewhat suspect at the MCG. Richmond smashed you there earlier in the year, and your only other visit was a very handy win over Melbourne who finished 17th that year, playing Cats at Kardinia Park may have been a blessing in disguise if it wasn't for the fact it robbed you of another chance to get some practice on the MCG.

Kardinia Park is pretty much the same dimensions as Subi, where both grounds reduced width help the Ross Lyon defensive style (Kardinia even more so than Subi really). Possibly a reason it hasn't been as well replicated at the much wider MCG by either Freo or St Kilda.

I reckon we would've been slight favourites but Freo definitely would've preferred to match up against us rather than Hawthorn. Freo had gotten under our skin and Sandi still would've torn us a new one like he did in the QF since we were reduced to playing Vardy in the ruck.

Pfft pointless thread, as the older records that were broken clearly played less games due to less teams. But we better roll out the red carpet so duckwood doesn't hurt his knees while getting knitghted

Less teams doesn't necessarily mean less games. The number of rounds (byes) determine that, not the number of teams. The number of rounds has fluctuated over the years, certainly pre 70s would have been harder to get these types of records, but I'm not sure how things have changed during the years, we had some 24 round seasons, and then some byes in 22 round seasons, so I'm not sure what the average number of games per season has looked like over the last 40 or so years.

260801_5b9ff6d06c1b7593f08d15672dd47467.png

Vets allowance during those periods? Introduction of two teams who were awful for 50% of the ten year period during those times? Free agency during those times?

Don't really see how the two awful teams effect the finals.

What is being argued is that our side doesn't stack up to the other two sides mentioned because of grand final wins. Undoubtedly getting games against the Giants and Suns helps our winning percentage but it means nothing in the context of how many flags we've won. Plus our flags came before free agency anyway so again I don't see by what measure it is relevant.

But Hawthorn won the 2008 flag right :confused:

The greatest Geelong side ever didn't even win the flag, lol...

The greatest Geelong side ever was 2007.

Statistically win-loss perhaps not. But our best footy came from the Richmond match in round 6, 2007, through to the absolute belting Collingwood gave us in round 8 the next season.

Bomber still itches over 2008 and says he feels we were slightly better and I guess it's hard to argue, but we were smashing teams in second gear for fun in 2007. Yeah the Pies stretched us in the prelim - either side of that we won two finals by 225 points.

Missed finals in '09 unfortunately. I apologise for posting that image again though, I know it really riles you up something chronic. :straining::thumbsu:

So in the last decade do Hawthorn have more flags?

Let's be honest if not for the goal umpires ****ing up the 2009 Grand Final, the Cats would have a North Melbourne 1990s type 2 flag return. Lol...

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong break record for most wins in a decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back