Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to Thurlow lining up in round 1. cheers. :thumbsu:

Mate , I don't know how old you are but losing an argument on an internet forum doesn't justify a stupid , tasteless comment like that.
Take a good look at yourself and smarten up , we all know how hard Jackson would be doing it at the moment - why would you even go there :mad:

Sensible approach Stan The Caddy
Ruggles will develop nicely but he has nowhere near the match conditioning yet - he was cramping in the 3rd and really struggled to make second efforts at times. Small Hawk forwards would have a field day on him in the latter parts of the game if not before.
Murdoch played back in the second half and did well , found it a bit and was prepared to run - looks to have improved from a guy who used to panic and choose a poor option in defence. He is a great penetrating kick as well.
Yep, Murdoch looks to have matured in his head doesn't he, holding his nerve better-so could become a real asset if it can translate to real games( no reason why it shouldn't given the nature of yesterday's game)

I'm well aware that you're a poor judge of footy.

Mackie is slow and makes error after error, stop living in the past.
Obviously your the best judge of footy out there, or at least better than all of the Geelong coaching staff.

Last edited:

With Thurlow out we need Mackies disposal.

4 tall backs + Mackie isnt the right balance but i guess they will try it until Lang/Cowan/Ruggles replaces one of the talls

One thing I found naming my team was there wasn't really anyone I thought was stiff missing out. Perhaps a worry depth wise, but you'd hope guys like Lang, GHS, Cockatoo, Ruggles, Bews and Kersten will put together some good VFL form and provide some pressure.

But in terms of small/tall balance, I can't see the small that is worthy of a spot over a tall without me thinking the tall is unlucky and the small is lucky. Maybe Ruggles for Kolo?
Yeah I assume Cockatoo will not be playing due to reasons other than fitness and none of the others are really pushing it, but would be more comfortable with Ruggles, Bews or even Lang playing on Puopolo or Bruest, rather than Hendo or Kolo. I hope we play Vardy up forward along with both ruckmen Smith and Stanley forcing Hawthorn to play three talls in defense, Frawley, Gibson and probably Shoenmaker or Roughie. Making their forward talls less of a threat.

Sensible approach Stan The Caddy
Ruggles will develop nicely but he has nowhere near the match conditioning yet - he was cramping in the 3rd and really struggled to make second efforts at times. Small Hawk forwards would have a field day on him in the latter parts of the game if not before.
Murdoch played back in the second half and did well , found it a bit and was prepared to run - looks to have improved from a guy who used to panic and choose a poor option in defence. He is a great penetrating kick as well.
Thanks for your insight F2G. I did notice at one stage in the game that Ruggles was struggling to keep up with Ballantyne and looked like he was absolutely spent. HB is a very good burst runner though and they were playing on a big ground on a very hot day I guess.

I think that with Thurlow going down Murdoch will be asked to spend more time in defence this season so it's good that he is showing some encouraging signs. He looks and is playing much stronger compared to what he has in the past so hopefully he keeps it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I assume Cockatoo will not be playing due to reasons other than fitness and none of the others are really pushing it, but would be more comfortable with Ruggles, Bews or even Lang playing on Puopolo or Bruest, rather than Hendo or Kolo. I hope we play Vardy up forward along with both ruckmen Smith and Stanley forcing Hawthorn to play three talls in defense, Frawley, Gibson and probably Shoenmaker or Roughie. Making their forward talls less of a threat.
Vardy is a lock for round 1 IMO.

Early week meat tray entry:

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Guthrie
C: Motlop Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Menzel Vardy Caddy
F: McCarthy Hawkins Gregson
R: Smith Blicavs Selwood
Int: Stanley Bartel Murdoch Kolodjashnij
Em: Ruggles Lang Kersten

Bolded are the mid rotation.

Looks strong!

I have the same backline. Couldn't fit Kolodjashnij though, as much as I'd like to. He needs to kick Lonergan or Mackie out at some stage during this year, and I think he will.

B: Enright, Lonergan, Henderson
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Guthrie
C: Duncan, Caddy, Bartel
HF: Gregson, Vardy, Motlop
F: J. Selwood, Hawkins, McCarthy
R: Smith, Dangerfield, Blicavs

Int: Stanley, Cowan, Menzel, Murdoch

Emg: Kolodjashnij, Lang/Horlin-Smith and Ruggles/Bews

Might be top heavy with all 3 of Smith, Vardy and Stanley. But this will allow Blitz to just focus on tagging. Was really impressed with Vardy and Stanley's strong leading and marking from CHF yesterday. Something we've lacked since Pods left. And they often quickly wheeled around with a long kick and got the ball moving. Great to see.

Don't know what to do with Bartel. Would prefer to see him play forward pocket permanently to end his career. Really don't like seeing him down back with all the other old guys. Kicked 27 goals in 2014, 0 last year in half a season floating around all over the place. Would like seeing the two wise old guys (Enright and Bartel) at opposite ends of the ground.

You play this side

Bews Lonergan Enright
Guthrie Henderson Taylor
Motlop Duncan Murdoch
Caddy Vardy Gregson
McCarthy Hawkins Menzel

Smith Dangerfield Selwood

Blitz Stanley mackie Lang

Emergency Kolo, bartel,
Good side, but Jimmy will play. The fact that the club so carefully managed him after the concussion test vs Fremantle, is testament to this. Hoping to see him clunking marks up forward come Round 1!

You play this side

Bews Lonergan Enright
Guthrie Henderson Taylor
Motlop Duncan Murdoch
Caddy Vardy Gregson
McCarthy Hawkins Menzel

Smith Dangerfield Selwood

Blitz Stanley mackie Lang

Emergency Kolo, bartel,

That's a pretty tall bench.
I like your forward-line, with a slight change, I've chosen to play an extra small over Vardy,
Work rate is what will win us the match, we can't afford to carry the extra tall or players with limited tanks like Bews.

FB Kolodjashnij Lonergan Enright
HB Guthrie Taylor Mackie
C Motlop Selwood Duncan
HF Caddy Stanley Gregson
FF McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
Fol Smith Dangerfield Blicavs
Int Murdoch Bartel Horlin-Smith Lang

There's no match up for Henderson where as Kolodjashnij could probably line up against someone like Bruest
Murdoch is the 7th defender
Bartel rotating pretty much where ever to fill any gaps we have in our rotations
Horlin-Smith to take over from Caddy's 2015 rotations, Ideally he should be our most "inside" mid. To free up Dangerfield and Selwood to burst away from packs
Caddy and Motlop rotate between Half forward and the Midfield. At around the ground stoppages Motlop should be in an offensive position ahead of a stoppage while Caddy plays closer to the stoppage.
Even if Lang doesn't get a lot of the ball at the very least he won't let us down with our defensive structure.

I'm a big fan of Kolo and I think he should be a very good player for us long term and will play will this season as well.
But I can't see how he could be in the team round 1.
He's had a poor pre season and we just look too tall down back.
As good as the improvement is in many areas we need match ups for the Hawks dangerous small forwards.
Obviously losing Thurlow is a big blow and will be felt from round 1.
Henderson hasn't put it all together yet but he's been improving wiht each game. He's still managed to do some good things.

Kersten and Cowan haven't done enough to get a spot in my opinion.
Menzel will take kersten's spot and I'm not sure what position Cowan can play. If he can play down back that would fill a need. That'd be tough for him against the Hawks and could be costly.
Murdoch is similar with the talent up forward there's not really a spot for him there.
His pace is hand though and his good record against the Hawks will mean he plays.

hopefully Selwood and Menzel can get through the vfl game and play round 1.

But the backline is a worry Enright will come back and Bews is a chance.

That's a pretty tall bench.
I like your forward-line, with a slight change, I've chosen to play an extra small over Vardy,
Work rate is what will win us the match, we can't afford to carry the extra tall or players with limited tanks like Bews.

FB Kolodjashnij Lonergan Enright
HB Guthrie Taylor Mackie
C Motlop Selwood Duncan
HF Caddy Stanley Gregson
FF McCarthy Hawkins Menzel
Fol Smith Dangerfield Blicavs
Int Murdoch Bartel Horlin-Smith Lang

There's no match up for Henderson where as Kolodjashnij could probably line up against someone like Bruest
Murdoch is the 7th defender
Bartel rotating pretty much where ever to fill any gaps we have in our rotations
Horlin-Smith to take over from Caddy's 2015 rotations, Ideally he should be our most "inside" mid. To free up Dangerfield and Selwood to burst away from packs
Caddy and Motlop rotate between Half forward and the Midfield. At around the ground stoppages Motlop should be in an offensive position ahead of a stoppage while Caddy plays closer to the stoppage.
Even if Lang doesn't get a lot of the ball at the very least he won't let us down with our defensive structure.

Vardy will play....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back