Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Lousy night obviously. Hoping Selwood isn’t rubbed out or our midfield is looking fairly thin next week. Can’t afford more slip ups. On the up side Jez should be back and I suspect a few others. Hopefully this sharpens them up. On to next week

As I said in the game day thread, reminded me of the Adelaide game in that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, with player copping injuries left and right, easy chances going begging, a probable suspension to Selwood, mental weaknesses exposed...and that's without even mentioning the four points lost.

An utter disaster from start to finish.

Just be happy it happened in the regular season and not in finals. Good to see JK finally get a goal. Feel like we played a pretty average game, and that most weeks we beat them anyway given how many shots at goal we generated despite a dysfunctional forward line. Zac Guthrie and Kreuger were the only ones who really committed to each tackle, that's probably the core issue with this effort. Just kept losing soldiers, couldn't kick and the giants couldn't miss.
Solid effort from Sav, Good games from Bews, Cuthrie Stewart and Henry. Narkle disappointing. Holmes and Clark were OK, though that miss at the by Clark was terrible.

At this stage just gotta hope the injuries to Toughy, Rohan and Danger are short term.

Last edited:
Close has been good for most of the year.

Has looked tired in the last month and probably needs a rest.
He was the worst player on the ground, give Evans a go.

Terrible effort all bloody night, compounded by what seemed like 20 injuries... 🤮

I know he’s gonna cop it, but gee whiz Jordan Clark, what on earth was that!? Honestly think there’s a chance we don’t see him play for the club again. Will probably play 50 or 60 games for Freo before ending up delisted.

Being a keen punter one stat I have always mentally remembered is that when Geelong are outright favs for the premiership during the home and away season, and we have been most years for one week, and one week only is that we have never won those games, we are something like 0-8 over the last decade.

This week was our outright favs game that we lost. Now our odds will jump and we won't be outright favs anymore. Rinse and repeat

One thing I noticed all night was the enthusiasm and energy GWS produced after each of their goals, but the Kolo goal aside, we showed no energy to celebrate our goals.

They brought the energy, intensity and workrate, and we were sadly lacking in all areas tonight.
Hard to celebrate goals when you don’t kick them lol. Giants kicked 8 of the next 10 goals after Kolo. I know what you’re saying though there was no energy at all.

One thing I noticed all night was the enthusiasm and energy GWS produced after each of their goals, but the Kolo goal aside, we showed no energy to celebrate our goals.

They brought the energy, intensity and workrate, and we were sadly lacking in all areas tonight.

Oh so you mean like in a final? yep, exactly, that's what happens sadly, teams that want it more beat us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we please try to get the surnames right

Clark = player on our AFL list who's unable to even kick a behind from near the goal square

Clarke = Georgia, player on our AFLW & VFLW list who played a key role up forward for us in the VFLW preliminary final, kicking 3 goals as we won through to the VFLW gf

Maybe Clark needs to spend more time with Clarke to work on his goal kicking

Time to end the fairy tale that Clark is an AFL standard footballer, yet again did **** all all night long and shit himself in the big moment.

Clark, Stanley, Narkle, Zuthrie, Close, Kreuger, Sav (two good marks aside) all clear fail marks on the night, can't overcome that. I'm probably missing some and then a lot of mediocre/ performances on top of that. The good news is most of those players come straight out for players on the sidelines. The team selection might have been a bit arrogant but we don't know who could have played.

I don't care he's in the age profile we need more players in, Jordan Clark isn't good enough. Ship him off at the end of the season rather than wasting time trying to develop him in to a player he'll never become.

At least he had a crack. 18 disposals, 5 tackles, one putrid set shot.

Guys like Close, Dahlhaus, Zuthrie and Higgins were just as bad but aren't really copping it.
He had a go. One terrible kick but had a go. Saw a few senior boys not know how to play when there was no spares back.

Excellent performance by GWS just too much for a reduced Geelong team with too many players poor on the night.

The fact that we had a set shot 15 metres out when only 9 points down says a lot about the guys who were carrying the team on their back.
The fact that we kicked 3.7 in that last quarter shows we really should have won it in the end.

Selwood, Henry, Cuthrie, Stewart, Stanley, Tuohy, Dahlhaus all fought hard to give us a chance.
Hawkins, Higgins poor.
Narkle, Clark gave very very little and so very very few tears will be shed if they are moved on..

Krueger, Menegola, Kolo, Sav I think tried hard but weren't good enough to join the core of players keeping us in it.

Really disappointing, but credit to GWS. THey made us look second rate for 3 quarters off a 5 day break and with a bunch of kids.

So then what? Kick it to grass 10m in front of him?
We had zero other forward threats and he's constantly keeping behind his opponent.
What are the ball carriers, who are under pressure, meant to do then?
Then how is that Hawkins fault?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back