Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

He was far better three years ago then his is now. Something has clearly gone wrong. You don’t usually get Worse as you go from 18 to 21.
I'm wondering what impact his injuries have played in things - the elbow injury late in his first season and then the dislocated shoulder last season

As you said elsewhere, he was breaking lines in his first season but I can't remember the last time he did that, including looking at his games last year. He's turned into a player who gets the ball in space but stops dead to find a teammate, where more often than not he looks to handball - even if that handball is 2m backwards to a stationary teammate under pressure

He's had some good patches in the VFL, but I'm struggling to think of a VFL match I've watched him in this year where he's played a genuine 4 quarter match because there's always been a down quarter or so

I wish him the best and would love him to succeed, but right now he looks off in comparison to what we saw from him as a first year player

Absolute piss weak effort tonight. Did not rock up and expected it to just happen.

contested possession says we did not give a ****.

biggest disappointment: I’m now worried we’ll throw away get another flag chance. This group need to win it this year. We won’t get this chance again. We will go down as the biggest choking pretenders of all time if we muff this. Our mentally weak mindset we show at times worries me.

injuries at the pointy end are costing us. we need our team fit for finals. Dirty, dirty night. Danger Rohan touhy are absolutely CRITICAL.

turning point for me was narkle. Been an avid supporter. Now I want him gone. This game changed my opinion of this guy. Full 180. Pea Heart. He can **** off

clark. Let me start with something. Hear me out. The coaching staff have completely cooked him. I blame The club. They coached out his flair, confidence and self belief by playing him out of his position (he’s a hbf) and dropping him every second game. He is now shit, devoid of confidence and mentally shot. He will now be get another first round bust under wells watch.

With the injuries, the fact our fringe absolutely failed and how the cracks were shown yet agsin - we’ve all seen this before in the pointy end of the season - this was a season changing game for me.

bitterly disappointed.

At least he had a crack. 18 disposals, 5 tackles, one putrid set shot.

Guys like Close, Dahlhaus, Zuthrie and Higgins were just as bad but aren't really copping it.
18 touches means nothing when its all uncontested and going straight to the opposition, one of the worst games I have seen him play, had the chance to redeem himself and absolutely bottled it.

Being a keen punter one stat I have always mentally remembered is that when Geelong are outright favs for the premiership during the home and away season, and we have been most years for one week, and one week only is that we have never won those games, we are something like 0-8 over the last decade.

This week was our outright favs game that we lost. Now our odds will jump and we won't be outright favs anymore. Rinse and repeat

Yeah I notice this all of the time. We are not good front runners.

Sigh..
BECAUSE HE'S STANDING 5M BEHIND HIS OPPONENT CONSTANTLY WITHOUT MOVING.
We've been through this..
You know his direct opponent had 17 intercepts and 21 disposals?

There were a couple of times when Hawkins was on the move and we kicked to the defender's advantage anyway.

Sigh..
BECAUSE HE'S STANDING 5M BEHIND HIS OPPONENT CONSTANTLY WITHOUT MOVING.
We've been through this..
You know his direct opponent had 17 intercepts and 21 disposals?
The delivery was pretty poor but Tom had an ordinary game. He’s been very good this year but not tonight, but wasn't Robinson crusoe there. It happens.

Last edited:
Yet Clark kicks the easy goal and we probably run over them.

HAVE I MENTIONED HOW ANGRY I AM AT JORDAN ******* CLARK. GET A HAIRCUT YA SH|TSTAIN AND KEEP WALKING ACROSS THE NULLARBOR.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I probably prefer this result to be honest.
We end up winning probably just papers over some pretty obvious cracks.

Clark was miles better than Close who had 3 possessions.

Narkle ensured we were a man down at every contest. That did not help.

Krueger was a bit of a disaster.

And Hawkins played possibly his worst game in many years.

Well played Stanley and Henry. That was it.
Don’t think tommy was that bad tonight, delivery to him was awful, they were practically kicking it to Taylor’s advantage every time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark was worse for me, he didn’t look like he wanted the ball in his hands all night
****ing what, Close got 3 touches.

I may have read it wrong but did anyone else see Danger trying to give Narkle some words of encouragement in the warmup? I immediately thought Narkle was spoking it up and Danger trying to get him up. It doesn’t look like it worked!

Yeah it was not a good kick.

To be fair as well, we did not lose by less than a goal. Momentum robbing miss though.
We were running over them at that point. It was critically deflating.

Yep. Looked like a different player. Grumpy, reactive. Injury? Lockdown fatigue?
Definitely off.
Hard to be happy with how crap the delivery was tonight. Reckon he had maybe 2 good kicks come his way for the entire game. Rest just went straight to Taylor and Haynes for east intercepts.

Hard to explain just how bad that loss was overall.

They're missing Davis, Hopper, T. Green, J. Kelly, Hogan, Coniglio, Mumford, Finlayson, A. Kennedy, D. Lloyd, and we still lost by 20 points.

The blueprint has also been shown on how to beat us - both Brisbane and GWS did it. All you have to do, is go quick with handball once you win it in the back half, break through our zone, and then kick to one on one's, where honestly, we're usually pretty crap without assistance. from a 3rd man coming in.

Injuries to Danger, Tuohy, Rohan, possible suspension for Selwood, with Duncan and Miers still on the sidelines. Can only hope they're all short term, but our next 2 weeks are not easy at all. If teams copy that blueprint from the GWS/Bris game, I'm not sure we can stop it, if they push back hard and win clearance, thus creating one on one's in their forward half.

I said if we lost tonight, that it would be huge in the context of the season, given just how undermanned they were, and how the stars had aligned for us. So disappointing, and a huge blow to our Top 4 chances, if we drop one of the next 2 games.

P.S. Clark...there are no words for that kick, but we didn't deserve to win anyway.

I actually don't think Dahlhaus was terrible tonight, did some good things but **** me give close a rest he is cooked. Stanley, Henry and Bews were our best, Blicavs was terrible again when it mattered, Higgins was soft again and missed gettable goals, overall id say it was a really bad night however if you look at our outs you can understand it, i believe we are missing Hendo the most as he structures the backline, too many times tonight they ran freely inside 50 by themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back