Autopsy Geelong defeated by Port by 16 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor kicking for goal in a final isn't going to help. Main concern is the same as previous years though, we play too many key backs. Taylor, Blitz, Hendo and Kola. Too tall and not enough speed to spread from contests. To me that's the hardest call that needs to be made for team balance.

This was a very winnable game
Hawkins kicked the worst I've ever seen him kick, he just needed to kick 2 of them.
Motlop's goals were unforgivable, how are we allowing a small forward to get goal side? How do we flood a backline, they kick sideways for 1 min then enter the forward line and they get a grubber over the back because we have no one on the last line of defense?
Taylor is well past it, he can't intercept mark anymore and is a liability if the ball ever touches the ground near him.
Danger missing from the contest at crucial times.
Henry is our worst player in high pressure games
The complete lack of game awareness cost us 2 shots at goal right on qtr time sirens.
I feel a contributor to our loss was Ports ability to make tackles stick (especially out of the center), too many times they broke free of ours and hacked it forward.
Control does not be chaos, we have seen this too many times before with Richmond, its so bloody effective in finals footy, just tackle well, apply pressure and get it forward.

We are not good enough to not take our chances and win. Simple as that. Game is completely different if we were 3 goals up at half time like we should have been. We could have absorbed Port's run on and been on level pegging going into the last quarter.

On the positive side all finals from here are in Queensland, no more byes and we can't lose a GF against Richmond from here.

I just don't know how much longer I can keep supporting this team. It's just not fun anymore. It's just gutting. I'm starting to hate the club, hate Chris Scott and footy in general. It shouldn't be like this, it should bring you more joy than pain. I just want to stop watching this team and forget they ever existed. It's just bloody heartbreaking.
Go and barrack for someone else then. Simples.

Tom Hawkins hang your head in shame. What an absolutely disgraceful performance.

This one wasn't on Chirs Scott. This one was on him.
Only two of hawkins shots were really gettable. We lost by more then 3 goals. Hawkins woukd of got better shots if we have a key foward to take the heat off him

If you had asked me who I’d want to kick a goal for my life, it’d be Tom Hawkins. Not anymore. When the pressure was on he shat the bed, and even though we got ploughed in the 2nd half all around the ground, he could’ve been the difference. We could’ve been 4-5 goals up in the first half, but yet again we underperformed and here we are again. I’m just deflated, even if we win the semi I have no confidence this group can win the prelim let alone the granny. I’ll hopelessly love this club until the end but I can’t realistically see anything other than a disappointing finish for yet another year.

Funny, don't even really care all that much that we bundled it yet again. Subconsciously you just expect it to happen, so when it unfolds you just kind of accept it. I guess that's what happens when you've seen the same stuff for nigh on a decade now.

Also, Gold Coast reject and half back flanker Mackenzie kept Hawkins goalless - if this is a H&A game he kicks 6. It's not just Tom, but mentally I think so many players are just scarred at this point.

As soon as Hawkins missed the first few you just KNEW that was going to be the story of his game. I actually got up and said "oh ffs, not THIS" when he missed the second set shot. You could just tell what was going to happen.

Hawkins failing this hard reminded me so much of the 2012 elimination final vs Freo. Similar story where he came in to the game as the most hyped KPF ("omg, who can possibly stop Hawkins, he's a beast!") and then he failed to deliver.

Love Hawk and at least with him you can say he HAS stood up in finals for us in the past, but since 2012 he's been well below his Home and Away level in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have won that. Inaccuracy!!!
Outplayed them or broke even for 3 quarters and should have been up by 3 goals at half time. I back us to rebound next week.
Go Brisbane!

Tom Hawkins should hang his head in shame. He's paid to kick those goals he missed in the first half.

However, we fought hard and got back to within 7 points in the 4th quarter. At that point, our genius coach sent Dahlhaus, Atkins and Duncan to the center square for two center bounces in a row. He didn't send; 2 Brownlow medallists, our captain, a 2020 All-Australian midfielder, or our top possession getter on the ground. Port got two center clearances and won the game.

Dangerfield isolated at FF for the last quarter until it was too late. You can't win the game if you can't win the ball.

We now have to beat the WCE and Richmond just to make the GF. Another top 4 finish wasted, another year of listening to the Chris Scott defenders defending the indefensible.

If Tom Hawkins doesn't come out and apologise to the supporters after that crap, I will spew up. Many other passengers also, but that is his job and he choked big time. Not good enough.

2nd and 3rd quarters told the story. We dominated the second and didn't capitalise. They dominated the third and did. Finals can be a game of moments and I felt when ours presented themselves, we mostly mucked it up. Hawkins missing, Kolo missing when a goal would have lifted spirits. Giving away a goal in the dying stages of the 2nd after finally getting one of our own just before. Parfitt passing to Ablett rather than having a set shot just before a siren. Mitch doing the same. We weren’t belted off the park and we had good intensity from the start but we just didn’t walk in whenever the door was open.

Collingwood or West Coast next week is a real chance of straight sets. Likely Richmond in a Prelim... not confident. Bloody flat after that. Thought we were a really good chance pre-match.

The talent gets us here every year. The coaching lets us down every year... definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing over and over again, still no ruckman, still no second forward.... still no settling Blicavs as a defender.... **** off Chris, time to go!

Bored of this.

System was fine so that wasn't the issue. We just had a bunch of individual who choked and couldn't handle the pressure or the moment. It's as simple as that.

It wasn't everyone. If the entire team choked we would have lost by 50+. But enough of them did.

Each year the mix of players changes, but each year they're just as unprepared to deal with the pressure and choke up come finals.

Something has to change.

Last edited:
sh*t game terrible coaching, Geelong chocked it in the first half should have been 4 goals up.

The crowd played a huge part in Port winning that, and its unjust the game was in Adelaide. Just like tomorrow is wrong for the game to be in Perth and for Richmond to play Brisbane in Brisbane. These finals should have been played at Neutral cites, Port Brisbane West Coast have not earned home finals from a fair and even playing field.
Port earned a QF and home. 1 v 4.

You can blame a lot of things - that aint one of them.

PA deserved a home final.

GO Catters

Tom Hawkins hang your head in shame. What an absolutely disgraceful performance.

This one wasn't on Chirs Scott. This one was on him.

At least he provides a proper target and gets the frikken ball unlike the small defensive forwards that are out there somewhere.
5 small 1 tall forwardline what do you expect lol!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong defeated by Port by 16 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back