Review Geelong defeats Hawks at KP by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but that is absolute garbage. Home court advantage is no less pronounced in the NBA where every court has the same dimensions. It's the crowd that makes the massive majority of the difference. I could list sport after sport after sport to prove my point by you get the idea.
Geelong are a very rare case. Our game plan is perfect for KP and sucks at the MCG. Let's see how the match results bear this out.

Can't say I'm a fan of the fake crowd noise. They added it so that the game sounded more 'realistic'. Hearing any cheering at all at Geelong when the opposition kicks a goal is hardly realistic.

Loved Stanley's game - keep him there and stop stuffing around with the ruck. I really don't know about Sav, and I seriously wonder if he's had his eyes tested. Seems to misjudge the ball when it's coming towards him every time. I don't think his confidence is great either, seems to throw his hands up to create a contest but not really in the way players do if they think they have a chance of taking the mark. Henry I'm not sure about either, he had such a great first season and then seems to have fallen off a cliff since. I do love Atkins' work, I think he's pretty under-rated on this board because he's not seen doing the sexy stuff. But gee he does the hard stuff and never gives up, with some unheralded grunt in the forward line he creates a lot of turnovers that often make others look good. Rohan had a Rohan game. He'll usually be quiet and then have a game where he makes it his own. It wasn't his night tonight, but he wasn't a liability so I'm happy with him staying in.

The defence looked a bit suspect in the first half, hopefully just a bit of rustiness. I would prefer to see Clark in though.

The small forwards were great tonight, although Hawthorn going in with such a tall backline made it easy for them. Miers, what a great story. It doesn't matter where you're picked in the draft, I love to see a young bloke work his butt off and grab his opportunities with both hands.

We looked far fitter than the other three teams that have played Round 2 so far, great to see. Fabulous to see Joel looking so fresh too, the break was good for some things.

Good stuff.

Henry had a bad game but has generally shown himself to be good enough. The problem for me is that while individually they are talented, the backline as a unit is top-heavy and far too defensive-minded. I'd really like us to set up a defense specifically to combat Collingwood and Richmond and play at the MCG which for me would mean becoming more mobile and improving the ability to move the ball out of the backline.

Henry had a bad game but has generally shown himself to be good enough. The problem for me is that while individually they are talented, the backline as a unit is top-heavy and far too defensive-minded. I'd really like us to set up a defense specifically to combat Collingwood and Richmond and play at the MCG which for me would mean becoming more mobile and improving the ability to move the ball out of the backline.

Pretty tough assessment. Kept the Hawks to just 7 goals and goalless in the last quarter.

That backline had the least amount kicked against them at season's end 2019 as well btw....

The thing that I found most encouraging with that win was the midfield depth on display; Tim Kelly was a massive loss at the end of 2019, but if Parfitt and Narkle can continue to mature and narrow the gap between their best and worst games then his defection is largely mitigated.

Gryan Miers' epic stamina allows him to cover a lot of territory for a nominal forward - he's is a classic goal sneak, but I love it when I see him bob up loose on a back flank offering a defensive outlet; his capacity to churn out the kilometers allows him to really support the midfield in the numbers game.

Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Ablett; these club champs will always contribute with a certain level of integrity that can be counted on; surround them with some genuine midfield depth - which I am not convinced we have always had during Dangerfield's time at the club - and suddenly we look a lot more formidable.

I thought we saw the worst and best of Paddy Dangerfield tonight in his 250th game; he was sloppy and erratic in the 1st half; when he kicked our first point of the night from a pretty regulation set-shot we suddenly last control of the game and didn't really reassert our authority until part-way through the 3rd quarter.

His 2nd half however showed what a force of nature he can be; he just attacked each and every contest with outrageous velocity.
Threatened to take some big marks but didn't clutch as many as he often does; nonetheless his brutality at the contest and ability to accelerate like few in the competition seemed to intimidate the Hawks at times.
Shaun Burgoyne may be Mr Nice Guy, and I don't really mind him for a Hawthorn player, but his tackle this evening was reckless. Dangerfield went on to embarrass Burgoyne in the following couple of contests, including one clearance in which he supplanted 'Silk' with such nonchalance as to make the veteran Hawk reflect as to whether he might have gone on one season too long.

Jack Steven has to be half a chance to replace Rohan next week; Rohan was appalling below his knees tonight; that he rarely cracks double-figure disposal totals is no wonder when he's letting every other opportunity literally slip through his fingers. Didn't look as fleet of foot as usual, either.

could not agree more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One player who continually impresses me each time I watch him play, and he did so again tonight is O'Connor. Often doesn't get the kudos he deserves, but I reckon that will change as the season continues.
Not flashy, but makes smart decisions and doesn't seemed flustered too often. Such rapid improvement on his first few games for the club.
To hear he stayed in Geelong during the shutdown to work on aspects of his game and not return to Ireland is a real credit to the young man.
Can see O'Connor potentially being captain of the club at some stage in the years to come.

Completely agree. Was never going to match the atmosphere of the real deal but given the difficulty of capturing authentic crowd noise I think they did a great job. I was skeptic going in but it won me over. If the choice is artificial crowd sound vs real crowd then obviously it's no contest, real crowd is miles better. But if the choice is artificial crowd sound vs an eerie silent vaccuum where atmosphere should be, then I'm choosing artificial crowd sound every time. It wasn't a perfect recreation of the real thing - it was never going to be and never could be - but it added immersion and made me more invested in the experience. Zero noise leads to this odd feeling of detachment from the spectacle. It's weird.

Agree. Plus it's a running alarm. If I have to move off (disgusted some games) , or like take the dog out, or hit the fridge, a crowd noise alerts me to major scores. Amazing how your inner ear becomes tuned in to it at home, and outrage when they don't show a replay occasionally.

It's been a long long languish since the last loss.
The wait was worth it with that wonderful win.

Post Quarantine Cats are more than refreshed
They are playing a more cohesion game style.
Individual diversity replaced with homogeneous unity
A brotherhood borne by bonding and trusting the plan.
They knew their team mates and where to be
Perfectly positioned to assist the passage of play
To provide options and protect each other.
Keeping the ball in perpetual motion
Keeping the opposition on the back foot.
When everyone works together we win well.

Stanley and Parf ended up being massive ins. Along with the skipper and Gaz (with Miers coming late, after an enormous second half), they were clearly absolutely key to our success on the night.

Rhys is our best ruck option by a street, and I hope the maddening tendency to throw the role around for no compelling reason will now be abandoned for the time being. He really impressed tonight with his endeavour and his execution. Long may it last.

And Parfitt is a huge boon for us, both offensively and defensively. So adept at working his way out into space with the footy, and sticks tackle after tackle with apparent ease. Keeping him fit and firing will be vital for us this season.

Sels seems to be in ripping shape, and truly led from the front yet again. With the GOAT quite imperious with the ball in hand (and running on top of the ground as well).

Don't fancy the MC challenge after that all-round effort. But I'd be glad to see Steven and Clark work their way in somehow, despite the lack of passengers tonight.

And I can definitely say I am glad footy is back when we play like that...

Go. You. Cats!

It’s no exaggeration to say that the most important player to our premiership hopes in 2020 is Rhys Stanley. I’ve alternate between singing his praises and praying he never gets picked again, but a fit and COMMITTED Rhys Stanley makes a MASSIVE difference to our stoppage clearances and outlet marking when clearing from D50. Leaking forward to kick goals makes opposition ducks nervous as well. In terms of talent, he might sneak into the bottom of our top 20 but his best is very good and he’s had wins against the best oppo rucks on occasion. A consistent ruckman leading into finals makes us a genuine threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the big step forward I saw was the performances of Parfitt, Narkle, Miers and O'Connor.

Narkle is going to be something special and his power running, and his strength around the hips show he has done a good deal of work in that area. He got better as the day wore on and was a key part of a dominant midfield.

Parfitt has always looked like a good player, but todays performance indicates he has taken the next step. His inside work was exceptional and when he lays a tackle, he really lays a tackle. We have a good one there...looks set for a big 2020.

Miers....well what can you say. His work rate is something to behold. To top it off, he gets the footy and then does something with it. Yes, his "hook foot" approach to kicking looks problematic, but right now it works and works well. And when he gets the ball close to goal, its almost "shut the gate" as he slots them on either side of his body and rarely misses.

I throw O'Connor into this group despite harsh critiques from some. He's steady, elusive, competitive and seems to improve game by game. The improvement in his delivery should also be noted. This looks like a kid who wants to be as good as he can be...

All four if these boys could chalk up 200 games for us, injury notwithstanding.

With further development, we could be adding Henry, Constable, Cooper Stephens and maybe even Simpson to this young brigade in the not too distant future.

Miers....well what can you say. His work rate is something to behold. To top it off, he gets the footy and then does something with it. Yes, his "hook foot" approach to kicking looks problematic, but right now it works and works well. And when he gets the ball close to goal, its almost "shut the gate" as he slots them on either side of his body and rarely misses.

He reminds me of Paul Chapman in that way. If Chappy had it anywhere near the goals (especially when facing away from the goalface in that left forward pocket) it was a guaranteed goal coming up. Shut the gate!

Yeah, I like Myers.

Doubt it. Unlike others our players don't go down like a bag of shit when slung or hard tackled.

I recall the Kruizer one that Danger got a week for in '17 against the Blues at the 'Dome...talk about a bloke who does go down like a sack of shit, he'd have to be the most unco bloke going 'round. But Danger does absorb a lot of punishment...Glad the surface though was grassy and somewhat forgiving. I still recall the sickening tackles at the start of that game in Canberra against norf in '06....Ling and Ablett each went down being slammed into simply dried mud.

How Canberra in August could have had weather warm enough or dry enough to make dried mud, but those were brutal. You can really see how those tackles can seriously injure someone. Burgoyne probably should be cited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back