Review Geelong defeats Lions by 1 point - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Tom Mitchell about Lachie Neale.
Not much hurt factor to his game at all. Kind of similar bracket to that of Woewodin, Priddis or Cotchin. Top line players but hardly best in the competition.

They are severely lacking an explosive midfielder. Most teams have at least one, Lions were probably planning on Raynor spending heavy minutes in midfield in 2021 prior to a ACL injury.
Maybe Cockatoo can be that player when he returns next week.

I wouldn’t be putting Cotchin and Neale in the same bracket as those other blokes.

Great post. Call me cynical, but I think most of this (and a bunch of other nonsensical “news”) is about the AFL and AFL media doing anything to create content that keeps the eyeballs on the sport.
They absolutely do it.

Preseason games are broadcast in Feb. matches between March and September (October). Protracted trade period in October. Draft build up in November.

Keeps the AFL in the sport pages of the paper for 9-10 months of the year

Saw this just get posted: https://www.afl.com.au/news/573049/barrett-inside-the-war-of-words-between-scott-and-the-lions

Found this part especially interesting around the Scott-Neale confrontation: And then another Lions player, possibly two-time All-Australian defender Harris Andrews but possibly someone else, said something like, "Not as soft as you pricks in the Grand Final".

Coming from someone who's team - after ending up with the most advantageous home advantage in the history of the game - rolled over to the "softies" who made it to said GF... something something glass houses?

Also saying it to the guy who won 2 premiership medals, a best and fairest, and a rising star in the very jumper you a wearing is laughable.

A lot of Tom Mitchell about Lachie Neale.
Not much hurt factor to his game at all. Kind of similar bracket to that of Woewodin, Priddis or Cotchin. Top line players but hardly best in the competition.

Reckon Cotchin has hurt opposition sides plenty in the last few years.

Also saying it to the guy who won 2 premiership medals, a best and fairest, and a rising star in the very jumper you a wearing is laughable.
We would be pretty ropable if one of our players started mouthing off to a club legend like that ...espically when you don’t have the credits in the bank

Loved the move of O’Connor into a tagging role. Not scared of being taken into the backline, happy to kick a goal, good user of the ball, endurance athlete and skilful player who knows how to lock down small forwards.

Finally, we can actually try and shut down some prime movers in other teams.
T Mitchell Monday please

Totally agree.

What annoys me is that no one is stopping the people who are against this from disliking it. They're free to do so! But why do they have to insist upon not only disliking it but investigating it? I'm sick of this trend towards legislating every single aspect of the game ffs.

Stuff like this should be about *norms* within the game. Cultural norms that are determined by the players and coaches and officials. We can disagree about what those norms should be, with some finding Scott's actions unsportmanlike or classless and others considering it a rousing act of defending the boys, but the idea that this sort of sh*t should transcend cultural disagreements and be enforced out of the game with "please explain" notices from the AFL or fines is absurd.

we live in a world where germs must be blasted an be obliterated.. and any surface must be clean before any chance of infection may occur.... is it any wonder we have any food alleges..

Yeah, those elbows of his are a danger to opposition players for sure.

He's had almost two careers, even three maybe.

First part - very pure and prolific ballwinner. And a very good player.
Second part - totally prolific and almost ineffectual midfielder. Master of the 10m pass.
Third part - far less possessions, far more physical. Way more effective.

Have to the right mix around them of course. Same for us with Selwood, Dangefield etc.

Loved the move of O’Connor into a tagging role. Not scared of being taken into the backline, happy to kick a goal, good user of the ball, endurance athlete and skilful player who knows how to lock down small forwards.

Finally, we can actually try and shut down some prime movers in other teams.
I was calling for a designated tagger pre rd1 my pick was Tuohy I backed the wrong Irishman it seams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would be pretty ropable if one of our players started mouthing off to a club legend like that ...espically when you don’t have the credits in the bank
Pretty disappointed to see some of the posters comments about Scott on the Lions Board as well, two sides to the story and they have every right to be unhappy about him at quarter time Friday night, but to be pretty much saying we dont respect him anymore is a bit unfair on a player who gave 14 years service to the club.

Is it correct that Chris Scott said in the post match press conference that Gary Rohan needed a concussion test?

And if so what was the cause to need one?

Got to say I have really enjoyed Smith's addition to our side so far. Boy, does he cover some ground. Yes, makes some foot skill errors, but his contribution overall has been very good.

The wide expanses of the MCG might come in very handy next week. I'm sure hell enjoy it on Easter Monday.

Expecting plenty of boos from the Whorkes crowd...

he just knows how to put himself in the thick of everything... he literally saved the match on Friday night... was up one end kicking the match winning goal.. then he was down the other end a few minutes later rugby diving the ball over the goal line to save a goal..

He runs all day, but he is smart the way he runs.. knows all the right places to be at the right moment.

Can’t believe it’s taken this long to put a hard tag in the little midget, he is going to struggle and carry on all year now
So we've sorted out sniper Neale. Now if we could only tag Dusty...

And if anyone could do it it will be O'Connor. such a dour and quiet achiever

To be honest I'm amazed anyone is either surprised or especially bothered.

Mouthing off happens in footy from Under 18s level. And first gamers do it as a matter of course. The idea that you need any kind of credits doesn't make sense. The idea is to (at least) try to get under the opposition. Does anyone really think they'll say "I just played in my first winning final, is it ok if I have a crack back now?" That goes counter to all competitive sport. And all players from all teams would be well and truly used to it from an early age.

There's no shortage of times where the footy media highlights trivial things, but I reckon they may have reached a new standard in nothingness here.

Coach (or player) has a go. Coach (or player) has a go back. Big deal. Nothing else was ever going to happen.

Last edited:
weird the difference a jumper can make... used to find smith quite irritating, and now i love him.

not the best start to the season, but some very good additions waiting to come back in. think there were some great signs at times, and im hopeful we will build into the year over the first 6-7 rounds.

Definitley. People would LOVE Danger if he played for their team, the same with Selwood. But look at the hate they cop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Lions by 1 point - Rd 2, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back