Review Geelong defeats Lions by 40 points for a GRAND FINAL BERTH in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Game aside because there is nothing to discuss from a lions point. I've never been to a game where the opposition crowd were so civil. Made a terrible night bearable. Just sat back in the end and admired your performance.

Please win next week

We are far from perfect but we are mainly regional people.
Watch Geelong home games and the crowd (30,000 Country Vic / Geelong city / loyal Melb- interstate types) just come to watch good footy. We have been raised on that. Some complain we are not passionate enough!

Game aside because there is nothing to discuss from a lions point. I've never been to a game where the opposition crowd were so civil. Made a terrible night bearable. Just sat back in the end and admired your performance.

Please win next week

That's really nice to hear. I'm quite loud at games when I attend, but I'll also applaud good footy from the opposition. I think that's just sort of the Geelong way. We've had our fair share of ups and heartache and I think that's given supporters a bit of humility over the journey.

Can't wait to see what the Lions have in store next year. You've gone from bottom 4 to Prelim in short order and you're only going to get better. Bloody exciting!

Considering the hardship Victorians are suffering atm, it was just so beautiful to see our Geelong WAGS + babies celebrating our win!

To:
Every single Victorian. . .
Every single Australian feels your pain + suffering 😫😫😫
We applaud your sacrifice, to keep your State + Australia safe from COVID-19 🤗🤗🤗
I know, first hand about Lockdown + Isolation. . .
Since 1988. . .
I’ve been bedridden on + off for five years!
I’ve been housebound for decades!
I understand your plight 😫😫😫

I’m saying, let’s take tonight’s win as an honour that all Geelong supporters, everywhere, have accepted Lockdown, everywhere, + we have been victorious! From Geelong to Darwin! From Sydney to Perth! Brisbane to Adelaide! + all the Australian regional areas!

LOVE this, Hello Kitty. As a Victorian, I was close to tears last night seeing the Port faithful sing their song before the game, arms around and full crowd. It’s been tough and isolating and I’m living with an elderly loved one so I have to be super-careful with COVID but it was so great to watch tonight’s game with said loved one. Hopefully us Vics get some good news tomorrow and can at least watch in small groups. I just want to watch it with my Dad - the only GF (of our era) we didn’t attend together was 08 so we learned we have to stand side by side when the heat is on!

If both teams go with an unchanged side here’s the changes from round 17

Fog. Selwood

Close. Ablett

Sav. Stanley

Jarvis Rohan

Atkins. Simpson

Soldo Prestia

Marcov Broad

Aarts Edwards
Ahh that’s right. Grimes on Jarvis. How the world has changed!

Can someone explain to me why Jack Steven was getting games ahead of Sam Simpson earlier in the year??? Good Lord we should've just kept pumping games into Sam I reckon he's going to be a gem

My level of genuine respect for the opponent is displayed by whether or not I go to their team board to read the melts.

In this instance, I went to the Lions board to thank them for a great game and season.

The same didn't happen last week and won't happen next week should we win 🥰

Last edited:
Interesting hearing Fagan talk about CEY coming in primarily to play on Stewart. Getting first use out of the middle was big in bypassing that but thought Stewart was still effective regardless.

Our first quarter sent that plan out the window because they needed CEY to help them stop the one way traffic in the middle letting Stewart off the leash. Imagine 24 months ago someone said we'd destroy a strong clearance team in a prelim with Danger and Ablett up forward, Selwood not getting a touch in the first quarter and Kelly having left. The whole group in there were just awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain to me why Jack Steven was getting games ahead of Sam Simpson earlier in the year??? Good Lord we should've just kept pumping games into Sam I reckon he's going to be a gem
Yep. Really rate Sam. I don’t dislike Steven but he always seemed slightly unfit and always hit targets, by foot or hand, at the ankles. Sam finds the ball, digs in and is clean when given the chance. I really rate him.

The Cat's were sharp and totally dismantled Brisbane's game. Should have won by a lot more, but it was a high-pressure game so I can forgive that. I can't believe the Cat's made it. The jobs not done yet, and the Tiges will be tough to beat. Man, I can't believe the Cats finally did it.

Simpson was injured for a good stretch of that, tbf.

Interesting hearing Fagan talk about CEY coming in primarily to play on Stewart. Getting first use out of the middle was big in bypassing that but thought Stewart was still effective regardless.

Yoyo man tagged Stewart early...Stewart had 7-8 touches in the second Q.
Tag dropped.

CEY only had 12 touches was useless.
Berry useless.
Lyons not much.
Neale was very good tho.

If you told me 12 months ago that Geelong would win a prelim and Menegola, Parfitt, Simpson and Guthrie would be some of the best afield, I would've rolled my eyes.

Well done, team. I'm just really proud of them, after being completely demoralised after losing the qualifier. Richmond are gettable.
Im just in amazement of Simpsons. I rolled my eyes & wtfd @ him coming back into the team albeit the practice matches I havent followed that hard but he hasnt been overawed what so ever in these final matches

Reaction delayed to effects of a few liters of high test. Taking large swigs whenever the Cats had a good play will do that. :)

Some things I noticed...
Ablett's demeanor: set off in stark relief by him losing it after that stupid free. A guy considered the GOAT, who usually just goes about his business without the niggle and pantomine that hides the lack of confidence and skill in other players. So good to have our younger players see that and be influenced by him in that regard.
Rohan's flash goals: so great to see those go through. Usually it's the other colored guernsey getting those.
Simpson coming through the stoppage: GAWD dam that was so great to see. There's been a few this last couple months or so, Simpson, Duncan, Bews. One of things before the season I thought we needed to improve.
Kolo flashing through giving support up the wing: in the same vein as Simpson, show the movement that's been missing from the whole team for years. So great to see.
The skipper and Stanley getting around Miers after his goal: He's a confidence player. If he gets up and about early he will turn the game next week.
The midfield: I thought they had an awful lot to do with Kolo shutting down Cameron after 1Q. Well done.
Henderson giving encouragement Hawkins before shot on goal: showing the culture, the team really has gelled. Along with the notes above, the guys have really been more cohesive this year and it shows. More handballs are going forward to moving target, rather that stationary ones, etc,
Henry mercurial marks: kid is still raw, but can't fault his heart.
and finally Dangerfield all business after siren: damn I love that. DO NOT get complacent. Those who have interests in Everest know, getting to the summit is not the battle. It's coming back, with the hardware. :)

Don't know what to say apart from I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and realise we are still in a grand final. I am so proud of my club on and off the field. There is so much class in the way they speak about the bigger issues. Regardless of all the heated debates we have on here we are a ****ing amazing club who delivers year in year out like no one has ever done in the modern era. We may not have the most premierships but boy oh boy in the last 20 years you couldn't have wished to support any other club. GO CATTERS AND YOU ****ING BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to Chris, Joel and all the people involved with the cats. There is still one more job to go but geez we get a good ride as cats fans!!

He certainly held is own - the only thing that makes me scratch my head is his legs - I can't tell if he has skinny legs or he wears large shorts.. Would be a machine if he could bulk up his base - makes breaking tackles etc a lot easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back