Autopsy Geelong leaves Sydney with 2 points - who wants to watch the replay...

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith played well too but equally looked like he needs a rest..we have a few that look like going to ground too easily but we cant rest them thanks to ladder position. Be interesting to see if sav was a tactical sub or injured again.
Smith was the worst player on the ground. Cost us at crucial times with his inability to put his body on the line ... He avoided contact all night.

What Smith does is lead 15 metres away from the kicker and then bomb it long.

With the draw tonight, percentage isnt going to matter anymore.

Hopefully an easy win against North next week gets us going and string a few wins together (Similar to how the Hawks was the start of a 5 game win streak).

At least percentage is irrelevant now… I feel like that game meant a lot more to us to get the draw than Sydney. We stole 2 points in the end.

A player I feel needs to go is Ollie Henry… 4 touches and 1 tackle…. Couldn’t give a stuff about the two goals when you realize how much he costs the side defensively.

Offers nothing defensively or offensively linking up.

He is a Daniel menzel style key forwardish medium marking forward who struggles outside of goals.

We'd have lost tonight if we didn't get those two goals.

On the bright side... Surely Dempsey plays a full game next week and maybe Knevitt/Mullin.

#playthekids

Why would that be? If youre talking close suspension i doubt it cameron will just take his place. I doubt we see dempsey in the next few weeks (knevitt maybe but not likely either). We wont play the kids when the season is still alive.

Hopefully it's the last time we see Sav in the seniors too. As good as he's been at times this season, with the other 6 premiership defenders healthy, there's no room for him back there anymore.

Or make the tough call and drop someone

Zach Guthrie had limited impact tonight after being shifted into a different role that really didn't suit him - his 10 disposals tonight is his lowest tally since round 19 last year, with his quarter by quarter breakdown being 5, 3, 2 & 0. I know Zach's had his ups & downs this season, but he's not a winger & had minimal impact tonight - it's not fair on him, nor the team and we would have been better off if we had selected an actual mid or winger to play that role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty pissed about this Brad Close tackle situation. The game is farked. WTF are the players supposed to do? Francis has to let the ball go, or the umpire needs to call ball-up quicker. If Brad let him go, it could have lost us the game completely.

Umpires take way too long to call a ball up which is what causes a lot of this. If the umpires are too gassed to blow the whistle quicker get more or better umpires. Francis also contributes to that like 80 %.

I'm pretty pissed about this Brad Close tackle situation. The game is farked. WTF are the players supposed to do? Francis has to let the ball go, or the umpire needs to call ball-up quicker. If Brad let him go, it could have lost us the game completely.
Yeah its a mess.
They are spooked by concussions and honestly have no idea what to do.
Getting to the stage where you cant bring to ground or pin am arm.

One of the worst games I’ve seen in a long time, Sydney dominated for most of it and really we should be lucky that we led by a small margin to enable the game to be drawn.

I’m a bit disappointed that when our defense has been doing pretty well recently with the addition of Sav we looked terrible. Shoutout to Jack Henry and Zach Touhy thought both were huge tonight, Tanner and Tommy were trying hard in the guts. But boy, I never want to watch that replay.

2 point so 2 points so that’s something I guess.

Cats were trying hard to lose the game
Snatching a draw on the cusp of victory.
Was calling for Duncan subbed at 1/2 time
His late unforced turnover let Swans back in.
He was one of many making stupid mistakes
Cats thought it was another bye week.
Taking a Half to make a serious effort.
Swans blew it with woeful goal kicking.
Cats weren't much better, squandering gimme's
This game was lost between the ears.

cat table-head.gif

Or make the tough call and drop someone

Zach Guthrie had limited impact tonight after being shifted into a different role that really didn't suit him - his 10 disposals tonight is his lowest tally since round 19 last year, with his quarter by quarter breakdown being 5, 3, 2 & 0. I know Zach's had his ups & downs this season, but he's not a winger & had minimal impact tonight - it's not fair on him, nor the team and we would have been better off if we had selected an actual mid or winger to play that role

I agree i think thats an issue we need to address. I thought sav got in the way a bit and structurally we moved the ball better when he wasnt involved in chains. Its a tough call for the coaches because if we sit him out he will almost certainly ask for a trade and go for unders but to win the next 5 or 6 games i reckon we are more likely to do it without him.

Danger situation was a disgrace. I look forward to the umpires admitting during the week that they royally screwed that one up.

Smith total liability.

There’s no way Close should get rubbed out for that. He tried hard for several seconds to hold a much bigger player up and drag him back on top of himself, but was dragged forward and it was Francis’ momentum that brought him down in the end. The only other option Close had was to let go and let him run into an open goal, and if the MRP/tribunal says he should’ve done that well then the game has well and truly lost the plot.

The amount of dropped marks or fumbles by Smith tonight nearly killed me.

Looked to have the game in our hands throughout the last quarter but decision making let us down. Gutted

I think smith works as hard as anyone but looks gassed and needs to rest but im not sure we can rest him (if menegola was fully fit maybe). I agree we were awful for 3/4 but should have won it in the last.

If we subbed Sav earlier we might've won. And by earlier, I mean before the game.
We got on top in the third before he left the field and Bowes didn't offer anything anyway. Everyone cracked in during the second half. Aerially we remained poor in the second half, but they didn't convert and we didn't let them run in uninterrupted as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back