Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. No way have Richmond been the benchmark team this year. They might be peaking well, but I note you ignored those performances I asked you to consider as being far worse than pretty much any game we have played this year.

And this comment that I replied to here, you said we had made no improvement - in a game missing four of our better players. This is why I think they are in your head. You used to be better at this. It's damning by faint praise, and I wonder what has happened to you in the year I have been absent - we have so much more upside than when I last was able to comment, but your analysis seems to have deteriorated to the point you defend Biggy claiming we will lose because of 2017.
I don't know about any of that.
All year I have said they are the team to beat. I included the Pies as prospects, but they are nqr yet. I thought GWS would be a challenger, and WCE. They were my top 4. I did not even have us as a certain top 8.

But then Covid-19, hubs, and some amazing performances..

Until the Tigers game, we looked as if we were very hard to beat. That did change dramatically on Friday, but I am not certain how real that performance was.
Time will tell.
Let's forget the week long post mortem, and look to the Swans game.
Chances are we may not get to or need to play the Tigers again.

Last edited:
Apparently catscollector doesn't like it when I trash his boys the Tigers. You're an obvious troll mate.

I couldn't get care less what you say about opposing teams. I just feel you are digging a deeper hole for yourself every time you talk down a team who has made it further than what we have in recent years.

If you think I'm a troll, that's your assumption. Perhaps you will change your next avatar picture to Josh Caddy when the season is done.

Last edited:
Ok, what parameters are you judging them on? If it is just feels mate, we should end the discussion here - because they are the exact metrics that define skill in the game.
I judge them on shutting down our game and winning quite easily, and making it look like we did to Port and Saints. But I trust CS, and I suspect we were exhausted, and just off.

Last edited:

Apparently catscollector doesn't like it when I trash his boys the Tigers. You're an obvious troll mate.
Not really fair to call those who are ostensibly Cats fans trolls.
We all support differently.
I find it weird that calls are made again about CS after that loss by many Cats fans, but they have a right to post.
Some fans are less optimistic than you are about our chances; does not make them a lesser supporter.
Don't you think there's a bit of over-analysis here?

I couldn't get care less what you say about opposing teams. I just feel you are digging a deeper hole for yourself every time you talk down a team who has made it further than what we have in recent years.

If you think I'm a troll, that's your assumption. Perhaps you will change your next avatar picture to Josh Caddy when the season is done.
Prerogative- was that the word?

Mate, the only reason I dig holes is to bury shit posting from pretend supporters like you.

Admit it. You are like that Aaron bloke from Geelong Addy, about the only thing you like about the team is that their real supporters are passionate and can be exploited. You are different to Seeds, Biggy and others I have had disagreements with in the past - you're even not up to Alphingtonian's standard. They can be miserable, but they don't go out aiming to trash the club for giggles.

Now, I'm not some blow in - like you might assume. I have been on these boards a while - and you get a pretty good feel for the losers from other teams who get a hit from riling up other supporters. You match that bill to a tee.

And if you think I am wrong, prove it. Show me posts where you talk positively about the club, and I will show you posts where you have directly lifted crap from Oppo supporters on the main board and the bay. Let's see who has the most points at the end. You know I do my research, right?

Give it up, you are not a Cats supporter. You are an internet moaner looking for relevance, IMO.

Not really fair to call those who are ostensibly Cats fans trolls.
We all support differently.
I find it weird that calls are made again about CS after that loss by many Cats fans, but they have a right to post.
Some fans are less optimistic than you are about our chances; does not make them a lesser supporter.
Don't you think there's a bit of over-analysis here?
This is the guy that said Menegola was shit because of one game, in which he wasn't actually shit.

Let's give some credit to the Tigers.
They have risen to most contender challenges this year with authority.
They are so well drilled they seem to be a step ahead of all teams.
We can only hope they have an off day.
I'll give them that credit if you give your own team credit for beating as many top 8 contenders as Richmond, arguably with far more style.

I judge them on shutting down our game and winning quite easily, and making it look like we did to Port and Saints. But I trust CS, and I suspect we were exhausted, and just off.
Well that's clearly your misjudgement. In no parallel universe did Richmond beat us by ten goals. They didn't beat us with the skill and ferocity that we beat Brisbane either. They were scrappy and relied on, as I predicted, weight of numbers in our forward line.

And like I said, our outs were far more significant than theirs, our upside has further to go than theirs. We weren't even exhausted, we finished the game far stronger than them (don't go the two injury thing, I have already debunked that).

There are so many reasons why we can beat Richmond, but you say we have to be at our best while they are on an off day? Come on, that isn't even trying. That's just a panic merchant plying his trade.

Last edited:
Quote me saying this?

You are power tripping at the moment.
I got Menegola winning the B&F :D
You're right. It was Hawkins. But you were trashing the entire midfield also, so you will forgive me for getting them mixed up:

Hawkins does go missing in very big games.
He did it against Collingwood in the qualifying final, came back and played a good game against West Coast but his finals record is poor compared to all the other premier key forwards.

If Geelong face Brisbane in the first final, he should have no concerns booting 3-4 goals without Harris Andrews. Any other team, he will do what he did last tonight and miss those set shots he often kicks when the team is up and running on all four cylinders.

It felt like for half the game, he had 2 or 3 opponent hanging off him. It makes you question our midfielders ability to compose themselves against teams they know they have no advantage over.
It is situations like that where we need Ablett as his creativity/IQ will always find himself space.
That's the one. They know they have no advantage over?

Now, I'm not some blow in - like you might assume. I have been on these boards a while - and you get a pretty good feel for the losers from other teams who get a hit from riling up other supporters. You match that bill to a tee.

You are not very good at identifying your own then as I have been here for almost as long as what you have and was a long time lurker before then.

You need to stick to the topic discussion because what you are doing is actually throwing out insults instead of debating footy and the game on Friday night.
I respect what Richmond have done over the last few years. Yes, they are a team Geelong need to strive to reach in terms of how they have evolved in football's current environment.
They lose their greatest full back of the century, it does not effect them. They just get on with business and with our old mate, Neil Balme pulling the strings, they are on the verge of winning their 3rd premiership in four years. That has to be commended no matter how bitter one is towards them and their feral fanbase.
If wanting my club to achieve what they or Hawthorn have achieved is called trolling, so be it.

Geelong's history over their lifetime has always been underachieving and in the last 8 or so years under Chris Scott, it's been exactly that. It should not be. Particularly with some of the superstars we have had running around since 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, the only reason I dig holes is to bury sh*t posting from pretend supporters like you.

Admit it. You are like that Aaron bloke from Geelong Addy, about the only thing you like about the team is that their real supporters are passionate and can be exploited. You are different to Seeds, Biggy and others I have had disagreements with in the past - you're even not up to Alphingtonian's standard. They can be miserable, but they don't go out aiming to trash the club for giggles.

And if you think I am wrong, prove it. Show me posts where you talk positively about the club, and I will show you posts where you have directly lifted crap from Oppo supporters on the main board and the bay. Let's see who has the most points at the end. You know I do my research, right?

Give it up, you are not a Cats supporter. You are an internet moaner looking for relevance, IMO.
If he is who I think he is, he's the biggest Cats supporter on here and contributed things a billion times more on here than you or me that are of great interest to people who are real fans of the club.
Give your holier than though No1 supporter shtick a goddamn rest will ya?
It's grating.

Let's give some credit to the Tigers.
They have risen to most contender challenges this year with authority.
They are so well drilled they seem to be a step ahead of all teams.
We can only hope they have an off day.
You will have no qualms from me giving the Tigers credit. They are a fantastic side, I just want to see us have another crack at them before I start thinking they are that far ahead.

Last edited:
So you didn't trash the midfield, including Menegola? Did I read that wrong or where you just not very good at school?

Lol, and of course I don't want to take you up on the offer of betting on the Cats. What sort of flog is so confident they would bet against the team they pretend to support? One with a bad gambling habit or a worse understanding of what "support" actually means.

I'm digging this hole for you mate. When your beloved Tuggers fall at the final hurdle to us. Because even if we don't win, I know I had their backs all the way - and all you will have is a tiny scrote and even smaller win against the internet. Yay!
The only one i see digging a hole is you mate.

Love your passion, but it’s ok to have a different view.

Well that's clearly your misjudgement. In no parallel universe did Richmond beat us by ten goals. They didn't beat us with the skill and ferocity that we beat Brisbane either. They were scrappy and relied on, as I predicted, weight of numbers in our forward line.

And like I said, our outs were far more significant than theirs, our upside has further to go than theirs. We weren't even exhausted, we finished the game far stronger than them (don't go the two injury thing, I have already debunked that).

There are so many reasons why we can beat Richmond, but you say we have to be at our best while they are on an off day? Come on, that isn't even trying. That's just a panic merchant plying his trade.

You've given us page after page of (over) analysis telling us the reasons why we'll beat them next time, how they are poorly skilled (statistically this may be true) but ignoring the only fact they really matters, that they have won two of the last three Gf's and are well placed to win a third, and have dismantled us on the two recent occasions we've met them in finals.

If we do meet them again this year I won't be writing us off completely, but given our record in finals over the last eight years I won't be holding my breath expecting a different result either.

And as Spazz Cat says above, you might like to rethink your attitude (not that I believe you will)

To be fair, Vdubs is a respected poster here.

I don't care about the free difference, everytime geelong plays richmond they get screwed. I have just watched the 1st quarter again, didn't want to, but forced myself. Richmond are allowed to stay forward of a mark, I just saw a perfect rugby pass by a tiger, the watched Martin practically derobe Henry, with no whistles blown at all. If Martin had hold of Henry's Jersey any tighter, he would have had it over his head, and then at least something would have been blown. F those umpires, it reminds me of practiaclly all teams that have the highest memberships. F the AFL.

I'll give them that credit if you give your own team credit for beating as many top 8 contenders as Richmond, arguably with far more style.
Have already done so. You have selective amnesia, or you just have not been reading posts all year.
And it should not be conditional.
If you can't give credit where it's due so be it.
Our wins have been full of merit, but we have had some losses against teams that are likely to finish top 4 after finals- Tigers, WCE, Pies,- yes, Pies. Coming from a long way back, but rebuilding their squad at just the right time.
Beating Port and Brisbane was excellent; are you convinced we can just do it again because we have? I am not.

I don't care about the free difference, everytime geelong plays richmond they get screwed. I have just watched the 1st quarter again, didn't want to, but forced myself. Richmond are allowed to stay forward of a mark, I just saw a perfect rugby pass by a tiger, the watched Martin practically derobe Henry, with no whistles blown at all. If Martin had hold of Henry's Jersey any tighter, he would have had it over his head, and then at least something would have been blown. F those umpires, it reminds me of practiaclly all teams that have the highest memberships. F the AFL.

That ground (Gabba) must also play a big part. If I'm not mistaken, the Gabba dimensions are very similar to the MCG. It's a wide ground.

Having said that, Geelong have played well at the Gabba themselves and yet, play rather average (v quick teams) at the MCG.

That ground (Gabba) must also play a big part. If I'm not mistaken, the Gabba dimensions are very similar to the MCG. It's a wide ground.

Having said that, Geelong have played well at the Gabba themselves and yet, play rather average (v quick teams) at the MCG.
I keep saying it- not who or where, but WHEN. As our esteemed coach has told us for years now.
Last year, we were unbeaten at the G by rd 12.
Then we went 5-5, and 1-2 in finals, and lost everywhere.
Even now, we looked great at the GABBA, but we have played teams when it was better for us.
'Other teams are going to have their turns at positive momentum. We certainly had ours.
Can we reproduce that now that teams are approaching finals?

These are ground dimensions for comparison

MCG - 161 x 138‬
Metricon Stadium - 158 x 134
‪GABBA - 156 x 138‬
‪GMHBA - 170 x 116‬

It's pretty clearly that there's one odd ground out of the above lot

Looking at out form in Qld, outside of the clash with Port, we've struggled in our 2 other games at Metricon - gave the Dogs a crazy headstart before working back into the match & winning in the last quarter, and we saw what happened in Friday night against the Tigers at that ground

We don't seem to have had the same struggles with our GABBA matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back