Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

These are ground dimensions for comparison

MCG - 161 x 138‬
Metricon Stadium - 158 x 134
‪GABBA - 156 x 138‬
‪GMHBA - 170 x 116‬

It's pretty clearly that there's one odd ground out of the above lot

Looking at out form in Qld, outside of the clash with Port, we've struggled in our 2 other games at Metricon - gave the Dogs a crazy headstart before working back into the match & winning in the last quarter, and we saw what happened in Friday night against the Tigers at that ground

We don't seem to have had the same struggles with our GABBA matches
Again, it can't be ground issues, it's the timing of which team we are playing at our stage of progression. Metricon and GABBA are virtually the same dimensions.

Again, it can't be ground issues, it's the timing of which team we are playing at our stage of progression. Metricon and GABBA are virtually the same dimensions.
Could there be a psychological aspects to it also?

Could there be a psychological aspects to it also?
Momentum swings. Multifactorial, and nearly impossible to reproduce once it goes even a little awry. As we witness after a bye.
The truly great teams can start the finals season from scratch and generate some weeks of momentum.
That is why we are not a great team at present. It could change. Time will tell.

I don't care about the free difference, everytime geelong plays richmond they get screwed. I have just watched the 1st quarter again, didn't want to, but forced myself. Richmond are allowed to stay forward of a mark, I just saw a perfect rugby pass by a tiger, the watched Martin practically derobe Henry, with no whistles blown at all. If Martin had hold of Henry's Jersey any tighter, he would have had it over his head, and then at least something would have been blown. F those umpires, it reminds me of practiaclly all teams that have the highest memberships. F the AFL.
Totally agree, umpires also missed 3 fifty metre penalties for Richmond players not going east / west. It was a clear tactic in that they didn't want Geelong to centre ball in the middle.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gotta disagree. The 50 arcs are right on the centre square. It's why we've seen so many long bomb goals there.
It's gotta be easier to get the ball in quicker to a one on one and more importantly for us, well something I think I've noticed is Blitz, Menegola, Miers, even Rohan are able to get back faster and clog space.
I noticed it since that St Kilda game or at least I thought I have anyway.

I don't know about any of that.
All year I have said they are the team to beat. I included the Pies as prospects, but they are nqr yet. I thought GWS would be a challenger, and WCE. They were my top 4. I did not even have us as a certain top 8.

But then Covid-19, hubs, and some amazing performances..

Until the Tigers game, we looked as if we were very hard to beat. That did change dramatically on Friday, but I am not certain how real that performance was.
Time will tell.
Let's forget the week long post mortem, and look to the Swans game.
Chances are we may not get to or need to play the Tigers again.
Brissy were like that. Usually Port or Essendon were the team to beat all year, till it got to near the end of the season.
But you could always see them coming.

Gotta disagree. The 50 arcs are right on the centre square. It's why we've seen so many long bomb goals there.
It's gotta be easier to get the ball in quicker to a one on one and more importantly for us, well something I think I've noticed is Blitz, Menegola, Miers, even Rohan are able to get back faster and clog space.
I noticed it since that St Kilda game or at least I thought I have anyway.
My point is Metricon and GABBA are nearly identical dimensions- why the differing performances ?

My point is Metricon and GABBA are nearly identical dimensions- why the differing performances ?
I don't think they are. I know that thing says it but if you actually have a look at the Gabba its really short.
The arcs hit the square, and not sure it's a genuine 50 either. I remember they used to have a 40m arc there back in the day, and no way does the ground look like it's been extended 20+metres.
If Rohan plays there this week, he'll be in defence then within seconds he'll be in attack and you'll wonder how he even got there.

I don't think they are. I know that thing says it but if you actually have a look at the Gabba its really short.
The arcs hit the square, and not sure it's a genuine 50 either. I remember they used to have a 40m arc there back in the day, and no way does the ground look like it's been extended 20+metres.
If Rohan plays there this week, he'll be in defence then within seconds he'll be in attack and you'll wonder how he even got there.

Metricon 158 x 134 metres, Gabba 156 x 138 according to my very reliable sources (Google)

Metricon 158 x 134 metres, Gabba 156 x 138 according to my very reliable sources (Google)
That's what the government and multinationals like Google want you to believe.
Have a look at it though next time we're there.
It's a massive conspiracy to make it look like they lengthened it enough to fit the 50's in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread has the most replies of any review thread:

This thread has the most replies of any review thread:

Understandable, really. It was the moment where Richmond finally overcame 35 years of almost complete irrelevance.

Little wonder that we all gathered around in dumbstruck awe.

Understandable, really. It was the moment where Richmond finally overcame 35 years of almost complete irrelevance.

Little wonder that we all gathered around in dumbstruck awe.
It's a decent read so far and I think your comment summed up the game perfectly:
No matter how many melts we have in here about the coaching, it will still be nothing on the way the playing group melted under the pressure of the Tiger horde tonight.

Softened candle wax would have stood up better than our boys tonight.

Spot on. Carrara Oval use to have a 40 metre arc and you would often see players nail a goal from well inside the center square. I'm surprised the official length of the oval is what it says it is.
Yeah the Gabba did too. If you look at Billy slamming home 11 here with 40m "50 arcs" the ground really hasn't been lengthened that much at all.
And how could it be? There's roads and buildings all around the ground.

Yeah the Gabba did too. If you look at Billy slamming home 11 here with 40m "50 arcs" the ground really hasn't been lengthened that much at all.
And how could it be? There's roads and buildings all around the ground.

Didn’t it used to have a dog racing track around it? Which was removed sometime in the 90’s? That would have been done to increase the size of the oval.

Didn’t it used to have a dog racing track around it? Which was removed sometime in the 90’s? That would have been done to increase the size of the oval.
It did. But if you see that video that's where the big grandstands are now plus there is different rules now where you need a certain amount of space from the boundary to the fence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Geelong lose to Richmond by 26 points.. but it really wasnt that close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back