Autopsy Geelong smashed by Demons in PF and its gonna be a long summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well.
There's not much you can do when you meet a team playing like that.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought the midfield may be broken.
Last night confirmed it.

Can anyone believe that we won the clearances?

The chemistry is all wrong. Who's the midfield coach?

Seems like you have 2 strategies for next year… one last roll of the dice with your current list and Danger/Hawkins/Selwood, doubling down on the top up strategy, or clean out and go hard on a youth, which will likely drop you down the ladder for 1-2 years like Adelaide.

But option A is delaying option B in my opinion. Your coach hasn’t played the current youth in your squad to enable a tier of players to emerge to replace the 30 year olds. So either you’ll need to trade in some players if the goal is to get back to finals quick else bottom out and rebuild.

when all said and done you’ve been able to watch a team in finals most years which is an incredible feat. Lots of success just not the ultimate in the last years

Good coaches don't grow on trees
Never get rid of anyone till you find a better replacement
It's easier to become a basket case club than you think

We are a basket case in that we go through each season thinking we're a shot and being pumped as the veterans with another shot only to have our game plan torn to pieces in pressure matches.

Risk v reward I say - roll the dice

Need to make hard calls. Maybe a PF thrashing coach will finally give up on his project boys. Guys like Kolo and Atkins, what's the point making smaller and smaller roles for them to give them the illusion they are succeeding? Come 150 games they should be taking on more and more responsibility, seems like it is less and less. Not only are they not dangerous with ball in hand, they seem sh*t scared of the ball.

Now I'm totally confused, just two days ago you were bagging another poster for suggesting Kolodjashnij wasn't up to it.

Anyone hear MMM Footy at midday?

Barrett (and others) suggesting that there’ll be some stuff come out in coming days / weeks about on field AND off field issues related to last nights performance.

C Scott alluded to this as well and suggested there will be stuff that gets discussed in a few weeks. But last night was not the time.

As well as players hitting the wall and being “gassed”, it was mentioned that 7 players had to get jabs in order to play last night.

Clearly we were banged up, but I suspect that there’s some off field stuff that’s gone on and it’s been kept quiet in the lead up to the prelim. Someone (I recall) in the background mentioned Covid but no one responded?

I wonder if there was any truth to the Henderson rumour before the Port game. Literally in the hours prior to the game?

Allegedly Supposedly Possibly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well - at least I had good seats to witness the Gawn Show.🤪

I suspected we may have been banged up and looking at Menegola, Bews and Tuohy in the warm up you could see restricted movement - Menegola didn’t start on the ground and went straight to a massage.

However - this Club needs to realise we are way off the standard required in Finals- if we use being banged up as an excuse we are destined to continually fail in Finals.

The game has changed and we have not- Tigers started with the manic , tsunami and the Dees have added skill and polish with incredibly quick transition out of stoppage and turnover. Our stodgy slow build up just won’t cut it anymore.

One argument is Scott has developed a game style to suit personnel- I semi agree with that - so how do we change?
Logic says you need different personnel if you’re to play differently.
There are several glaring weaknesses but we need a deeper and more damaging midfield , plus a defence that can transition the ball quicker and set up attacking options for our forwards.
To do this we will need a ruthless cull of some veterans and proven non finals performers - we know who they are. We need to play promising kids we have and go to the draft for others.
Do that with a more attacking game style and we can build into contention again.

Im hoping this embarrassing shellacking will promote change at a number of levels- Cook wanted us to achieve greatness as. a Club - this is our chance to walk the talk👍
Go Cats

And why was Dalhaus given four years?

Regardless, Dalhaus always gives his all. That's clear to see. It's not clear to see with Narkle. That's why he was dropped late in the season.

Clark I'm not sure about. I hope they decide to play him next year come what may. Accept he'll make mistakes but give him a proper run.

Dolly was good the first year in the hoops .
He's got worse since then .

We need quick small forward types that can kick a goal or take a mark over head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone hear MMM Footy at midday?

Barrett (and others) suggesting that there’ll be some stuff come out in coming days / weeks about on field AND off field issues related to last nights performance.

C Scott alluded to this as well and suggested there will be stuff that gets discussed in a few weeks. But last night was not the time.

As well as players hitting the wall and being “gassed”, it was mentioned that 7 players had to get jabs in order to play last night.

Clearly we were banged up, but I suspect that there’s some off field stuff that’s gone on and it’s been kept quiet in the lead up to the prelim. Someone (I recall) in the background mentioned Covid but no one responded?

I wonder if there was any truth to the Henderson rumour before the Port game. Literally in the hours prior to the game?

Allegedly Supposedly Possibly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Rohan and Hendo ? Both should be out next year anyway. Seems the excuses will come soon for cats. Typical!!

Behind the scenes, things may not be as harmonious as they seem.

But either way, I'll be disgusted if there are not some changes made; we need some evidence that the club from the top down is facing reality and preparing to make some changes, including in the coaching ranks, list management and playing style.

We have 3 picks in the 30's; maybe Wells can get them right; certainly he seems to do better with second and third round picks than first round picks, most of which he's wasted on duds and crocks.

Further, some contracted players should be told they're going to spend lots of time in the VFL and only called upon when circumstances require them - Kolo, Atkins, Rohan and others.

Rohan and his misses apparently.

Oh that. Given both players debunked that on social media at the time I’m comfortable that it was just a rumour.

Given Hendo did miss a few games late in the season with personal reasons, there was obviously something going on though.

We loaded up with experience this year, judging it was our best year (maybe two) to win a Granny. The withdrawal of the end of season bye hurt us and hurt us hard. If you like a good conspiracy theory then the AFL did this to stop us going deep into finals. Our win against GWS was not convincing - they had a third of their best players out so it was no surprise we did not have enough to compete with the Dees.

What did s**t me was the way that experienced players like Duncan and Tuohy could not hit the side of a barn wall with their kicks and that, generally, we played like rabbits in headlights. So much for finals experience - the more finals experience we have the more scared we become. Must address the issues betweeen the ears next year as well as starting to turn over the list.

Rohan (the perennial finals flop), Higgins and Henderson are some obvious outs from last night’s game.

Go Dees! Would rub more salt into the wounds if they don’t take the Cup.

If 7 players required pain killers just to play last night then that's a further indictment on the match committee and fitness group.
Why weren't they rested throughout the year?
Why weren't measures put into place to allow a transitional resting of senior players from half way through the year?
Why were they ground into the dirt all season AND then require injections just to play finals?

One thing which really pissses me off - it seems to happen to Geel so many times - i dont know if it is bad luck or what

There will be a centre bounce - the ball is in dispute - its bouncing around a pinball - 4or 5 players might touch it - it is totally up for grabs ( there is an element of luck involved ) however it allways seems to end up with an opposition player streaming away with it

That seems to blooody happen 80% of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back