No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so? Our decisions since SOS has returned have been fantastic in my opinion.

Troy Menzel, Chris Yarran, Tom Bell superstars of the game? Henderson also not a superstar by any means.
Thouhy plays a role that some average look like superstars in Michael Hibbard, Jeremy Howe, Sicily etc. Two of which were average players at other clubs.

If you mean Sam Jacobs he is serviceable and at the time we had 3 rucks considered ahead of him. Even if we kept him you couldn't play both him and Kruze.

Only one is Eddie Betts which was pre SOS.

Gibbs going considering his age and the fact he had high value and wanted to go home. I have no issue with at all. We get two potential stars for long term.

Literally the biggest steal that left Carlton looks to be Nick Holman at the moment :p

Plus bringing in late picks like Williamson and Garlett as two examples show smart recruiting. Very low cost and both look very talented :)

Very tongue in cheek Big m, Happy with what we are doing and how we are travelling, but the media will keep discussing and bagging our list until we win a flag. The truth is, if it was that easy to throw a great team together everyone would be doing it. How many of the so called media experts picked the Dogs and Tigers to win the flag?
Alot of things need to go right to win a flag, I feel we are trying to build a list that becomes competitive and hopefully successful for a number of years not just a flash in the pan

Army do it all the time. Grab 40 people off civvie street. All diverse, bang them together, flog the shit outta them to bond them and get them to work as a cohesive team, with constant drills and both negative and positive reinforcement. Then let them loose with automatic weapons, grenades and LSW's ....

Rebuild going along nicely at CFC :)

Very tongue in cheek Big m, Happy with what we are doing and how we are travelling, but the media will keep discussing and bagging our list until we win a flag. The truth is, if it was that easy to throw a great team together everyone would be doing it. How many of the so called media experts picked the Dogs and Tigers to win the flag?
Alot of things need to go right to win a flag, I feel we are trying to build a list that becomes competitive and hopefully successful for a number of years not just a flash in the pan

Totally agree but for once I feel like we actually have some direction. No more quick fixes.

I think the dynasty's we have seen have been based on good first round picks or father sons. So hopefully we can do both :) :)

After watching the Doggies on the weekend, I can't help feeling that they have really stuffed up since their flag. It could be a long long year for them, and with Gordon's reputation, Collingwood may have their next coach.
Their has been much bubbling beneath the surface at the Kennel since early last season. A total implosion is not out of the question. Too many chiefs trying to run the club out there at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their has been much bubbling beneath the surface at the Kennel since early last season. A total implosion is not out of the question. Too many chiefs trying to run the club out there at the moment.
Very sad because it was so long overdue and just had to be nurtured and kept together:(

Comments from the supercoach

Hawthorn & Geelong kept it together because they had a number of leaders. There is a dearth of good leadership at the Dogs.

Also, Geelong and Hawthorn were great teams, and (Hawks in particular) were helped by compromised drafts.
The dogs were a team that had a great month, in a weak year. Dogs 16 were not as good as Tigers in 17.

Also, Geelong and Hawthorn were great teams, and (Hawks in particular) were helped by compromised drafts.
The dogs were a team that had a great month, in a weak year. Dogs 16 were not as good as Tigers in 17.
Yeah nah.

I distinctly remember the Tigers being mocked at various times of the year last year. Like the Dogs they got their mojo in time for finals.

I also think the comp was better in '16 and Syd were far better opposition than Adelaide on the big day.

Yeah nah.

I distinctly remember the Tigers being mocked at various times of the year last year. Like the Dogs they got their mojo in time for finals.

I also think the comp was better in '16 and Syd were far better opposition than Adelaide on the big day.

Take away those hilarious close losses and Richmond had a fairly dominant year. They were clearly the best Vic side in the regular season, and the rest is history. The comparisons to a side that stumbled into finals and peaked at the right time happen because nobody respects Richmond, which in itself is a good laugh.

Take away those hilarious close losses and Richmond had a fairly dominant year. They were clearly the best Vic side in the regular season, and the rest is history. The comparisons to a side that stumbled into finals and peaked at the right time happen because nobody respects Richmond, which in itself is a good laugh.

Again, yeah nah.

I will be hoping the Dogs have a big fall this year, firstly as we have their 2nd rounder and 2nd i feel if they have a shocker then picking up a player from them like Dahlhous is more attainable.

Second point: Is football journalism getting worse? This shock and awe type reporting in regards to the MM ad, the Crows training camp and to an extent the Dees camp just reeks of desperation.

Third point: Should Carlton go down a similar path to the Cats and set a wage cap for players? Its reported Dangerfield is on $1 less than Selwood and Gaz wouldn't be on much, its also common knowledge plenty of Hawks were playing for under in the pursuit of team success.

I will be hoping the Dogs have a big fall this year, firstly as we have their 2nd rounder and 2nd i feel if they have a shocker then picking up a player from them like Dahlhous is more attainable.

Second point: Is football journalism getting worse? This shock and awe type reporting in regards to the MM ad, the Crows training camp and to an extent the Dees camp just reeks of desperation.

Third point: Should Carlton go down a similar path to the Cats and set a wage cap for players? Its reported Dangerfield is on $1 less than Selwood and Gaz wouldn't be on much, its also common knowledge plenty of Hawks were playing for under in the pursuit of team success.
You can try but it then you risk losing players trying to maximise their earnings. The risks of injury and the short nature of an Afl career means we shouldn’t begrudge a player for trying to maximise their earnings while they can.

You can try but it then you risk losing players trying to maximise their earnings. The risks of injury and the short nature of an Afl career means we shouldn’t begrudge a player for trying to maximise their earnings while they can.

I wouldn't begrudge a player for chasing the cash, but there needs to be a ceiling to how far you/club will go in terms of cash before you compromise your chances of team success.

Over paying two big names in Sydney cost them several players. Im not sure of the magic number but as a rough idea lets say $900,000 per year.

As for the comment about a team friendly deal does the union and other players no favours. This isn't entirely true and to some is irrelevant. A big pay day for one in a team isn't beneficial for the other players in his team which he is supposedly friends with and maybe a financial win for the said player but a loss in terms of team success.

The figure might be higher or lower that stated but it will be interning to see how the Tigers go attracting other players on decent money or if anyone will be squeezed out due to Dustys big deal.

I wouldn't begrudge a player for chasing the cash, but there needs to be a ceiling to how far you/club will go in terms of cash before you compromise your chances of team success.

Over paying two big names in Sydney cost them several players. Im not sure of the magic number but as a rough idea lets say $900,000 per year.

As for the comment about a team friendly deal does the union and other players no favours. This isn't entirely true and to some is irrelevant. A big pay day for one in a team isn't beneficial for the other players in his team which he is supposedly friends with and maybe a financial win for the said player but a loss in terms of team success.

The figure might be higher or lower that stated but it will be interning to see how the Tigers go attracting other players on decent money or if anyone will be squeezed out due to Dustys big deal.
Oh yeah, I hear you. It’s a difficult balance to find and one that varies between each club. Just gotta hope the people in charge find the right balance.

Army do it all the time. Grab 40 people off civvie street. All diverse, bang them together, flog the shit outta them to bond them and get them to work as a cohesive team, with constant drills and both negative and positive reinforcement. Then let them loose with automatic weapons, grenades and LSW's ....

I love the smell of a reset in the morning

download.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back