No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

There was cctv footage.
It very much sounds like it was the footage that ensured the penalties.

On The Age Real Footy podcast which came out late last night, Jake Niall, Pete Ryan and Michael Gleeson said that having talked to people who had seen it, the players would definitely get weeks.
Stupid shit should be stamped out but it’s a real slippery slope to be reviewing CCTV footage after the fact of what I reckon they believed was a closed room & someone taking offense leading to sanctions.

Stupid is stupid, but where do u draw the line?

There’s a heap of footage in the rooms of players slapping each other on the butt - that’s sexual assault, there’s no consent & if someone watching at home is triggered or offended by that, is it sanctionable?
Extreme example but that’s kinda my point

More effective punishment I would think, would be education and community service for everyone.
Make them understand & appreciate the gravity of their stupidity.

Last edited:
Stupid shit should be stamped out but it’s a real slippery slope to be reviewing CCTV footage after the fact of what I reckon they believed was a closed room & someone taking offense leading to sanctions.

There’s a heap of footage in the rooms of players slapping each other on the butt - that’s sexual assault, there’s no consent & if someone watching at home is triggered or offended by that, is it sanctionable?

More effective punishment I would think, would be education and community service for everyone.
When you hear that’s it’s skits in a private room, you can’t believe there would be suspensions.

But there was a complaint, and it sounds like the footage was so damning that they shouldn’t be surprised.

Nah

They showed who they are

Call it out and punish them

That can be their education

Elliott, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Howe, Crisp, Mihocek are all 31+. Mihocek has been durable, but Howe and Crisp - 34 and 31 respectively - have both been rather fragile, susceptable to losing large amounts of footy. ATM, these are the players - alongside Moore, Nick Daicos and Cox (only sometimes) - who get them going when things are against them. Pendles and Sidebottom have been durable, but should they go their replacements simply aren't going to of the same caliber nor are they going to have their durability.

Houston helps their whole shtick only while they have that critical mass of players. Pendles, Sidebottom, Howe and Elliott go down or retire, he's not nearly enough alone to stop the bleeding.
They are old and time catches up with everyone. Pendlebury and Sidebottom’s durability and standards are unique. I think you meant Howe and Elliott. Crisp hasn’t missed a game in 10 seasons.

I love this whole idea that privacy somehow protects you from acting like a knob. You wouldn’t honestly want to hang out with anyone who behaved like this. There are lots of things that are humorous in life but this puerile rubbish copped what it deserved.

I love this whole idea that privacy somehow protects you from acting like a knob. You wouldn’t honestly want to hang out with anyone who behaved like this. There are lots of things that are humorous in life but this puerile rubbish copped what it deserved.
Do we know what the puerile rubbish was ? Has that been 'released'...?

Do we know what the puerile rubbish was ? Has that been 'released'...?
Yes.
Greater Western Sydney player Josh Fahey has been suspended for four games after dressing up as former NRL player Jarryd Hayne and simulating sex with an inflatable doll at the Giants’ controversial post-season function.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most people know where the line is, taking the piss out of victims of rape or taking the piss out of the murder of thousands of people is going to get you in trouble in lots of workplaces.

More so skits, jokes or simulations of sexual assaults given the AFLs work in the space regarding violence against women.

If that happened at our club, i think the punishment would have been harsher, Greene supposedly fined as he is the captain and didn’t put a stop to it.

Fwiw, I see why they've topped up with Houston. Their list profile is clearly for the here and now.

I still don't think they'll be strong enough next season anyway but I get why they're putting their chips all in.

I just think the fall off will be more significant than they may be expecting.
I'm fascinated by their list profile, it is all chips in with absolutely no back up plans. Rumours of adding Membrey and Tomlinson are absolutely baffling, they will be the oldest list by far this year, with an even older best 22.

They have to win a flag in the next 3 years for the move to pay off, because in 4-5 years time they will be feeling a lot of pain list profile wise.

Players who have one season left, or are already past expiry:
  • S Pendlebury, slowed massively in 2024, should've gone out on top in '23, will be 38 in 2026
  • J Howe, had injury issues during career, will be 36 in 2026
  • S Sidebottom, see Pendlebury, will be 35 in 2026
  • M Cox, role player, cliff will come quickly, will be 35 in 2026

Players who should retire end of '25, but club will keep around an extra year:
  • J Elliott, had big injuries over his career, one injury from retirement, will be 33 end of 2025
  • T Mitchell, game has gone past him as a slow, small inside mid, pushed out of team, will be 33 in 2026
  • W Hoskin-Elliott, handy role player, will be 32 end of 2025

Others:
  • J Crisp, 3 more years, retire approx 34 y.o.
  • B Mihocek, 2-3 more years, retire approx 34-35 y.o.
  • D McStay, had injuries, 3 more years, retire approx 32 y.o.

That's 8-9 best 22 players who are all still playing key roles (plus Tom Mitchell).

The following will also be in the 32+ range in 3 years:
- D Moore, J De Goey, B Maynard, D Cameron (+ B Frampton & O Markov) (+ potentially T Membrey & A Tomlinson)

7 players to go from as soon as next year plus any delistings of other players who don't cut the grade (like A Johnson, L Sullivan etc, who are both 28 end of 2025).

They have no first round pick next year and their 2nd likely tied up in Tom McGuane (Sidebottom replacement), and no likely capital from tradeable assets.

On top of this there isn't much in the 25 and under category (N Daicos aside). Quaynor & Bobby Hill (both 25 by start of 2025 season) are excellent complementary pieces, but aren't part of the cake. McCreery and Harrison are decent role players. Parker could end up a handy role player. Ed Allen was decent in his last game of the season. Cupboard pretty bare.

TL;DR

This is an old team, with no real chance to get youth in until the 2026 draft, just in time for all the young talent to be sent to Tasmania...

They will be in a bad way in 3-4 years time, they need to win a flag or two before that to make it worthwhile and attractive to free agents, otherwise welcome home to Carlton Nick Daicos (RFA in 2029).

Good to know the AFL has taken a strong stance on this issue. The moral guardians of our sport. Brought to you by Sportsbet.

Good point. The company i work for are advisors for British American Tobacco, yet I’m the one hauled up in front of HR for wearing a nazi uniform on casual Friday.

Last edited:
This is an old team, with no real chance to get youth in until the 2026 draft, just in time for all the young talent to be sent to Tasmania...

They will be in a bad way in 3-4 years time, they need to win a flag or two before that to make it worthwhile and attractive to free agents, otherwise welcome home to Carlton Nick Daicos (RFA in 2029).

They are an old team too reliant on key position players coming off injuries.

If they can space out their retirements to 1-2 a year they'll replace them with free agents.

Don't think they're concerned about younger players when they expect to be able to keep topping up.

Good point. The company i work for are advisors for British American Tobacco, yet I’m the one hauled up in front of HR for wearing a nazi uniform on casual Friday.
At least you didn't set fire to a dwarf entertainer on the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back