No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point but how do the AFL justify giving Nought Melb a Friday night game ?
WCE a Friday night game ?
Richmond Wed & Thurs night games ?

My ladder prediction before Rnd 1 had those 3 as bottom 3. ( I only know that as a couple of mates & I did a prediction with the loser taking the others out to dinner)

The fixturing for the final rounds they give Adel a Friday night game.
Saints have a couple.

I think the WCE and Adelaide games could at least be explained away by trying to involve another AFL market into the ratings mix to boost viewership overall - which I get. The Norf one is absolutely bewildering.

I think the WCE and Adelaide games could at least be explained away by trying to involve another AFL market into the ratings mix to boost viewership overall - which I get. The Norf one is absolutely bewildering.
Absolutely in fact I don’t understand why the AFL don’t do more Friday night double-headers.

A game on east coast starting at 5:30/5:40 followed by a game here in WA at 6pm (8pm eastern) involving 1 of the bigger eastern states clubs

Absolutely in fact I don’t understand why the AFL don’t do more Friday night double-headers.

A game on east coast starting at 5:30/5:40 followed by a game here in WA at 6pm (8pm eastern) involving 1 of the bigger eastern states clubs
They'd rather have a twilight Sunday game that no one wants to go to.

A bad time slot for me & probably many others as it’s while my youngest son is playing footy.
At least Friday night there is less junior/community footy on
a bit harder for peeps to get to a game starting that early on a Friday afternoon, tho (understanding Perth sometimes gets ~ that time thrust on them)

a bit harder for peeps to get to a game starting that early on a Friday afternoon, tho (understanding Perth sometimes gets ~ that time thrust on them)
Yeah fair enough. Maybe 6/6:30pm start. Game over just after 8/8:30pm straight into wa game

I’m sure when Friday night games 1st became a thing, nought Melb had the monopoly, the games started at 8:30.
Someone with a better memory than me might be able to correct if wrong.

I’m sure when Friday night games 1st became a thing, nought Melb had the monopoly, the games started at 8:30.
Someone with a better memory than me might be able to correct if wrong.
I think you're right. I remember night games in Adelaide starting at 8.05 in those first years of the crows, so 8.30 EST would be right.

Adelaide lost that game with the non-selection of O'Brien - not O'Reilly like I said in the other comment. Whoops.

Nank is one of the rucks in this league I really rate. He would have fit in perfectly in the Hawks peak, very good footballer and very versatile. Adelaide took him and Richmond too lightly, lost it for themselves.
To be fair, Brian O'Reilly does sound like a physically imposing Ruck who dabbles in Potato farming in his spare time.

Have 4 coaches ever been sacked in the back half of a season?

You'd think serious concerns were being discussed behind board room doors about Clarkson, Lyon, Beveridge and Nicks.

This is what happens when contracts that are too long, or too much latitude in list management is given to coaches.

I'd be amazed in 3 out of the 4 above aren't sacked by season end.

Nick's hubris in picking that team last night should cost him his job.

O'Brien out for an unfit 28yr old 6 gamer - who broke down at end of Q3 - says it all about a bloke who thinks he is much better than he actually is.

Clarkson probably survives, but the other 3 are in the last chance saloon you'd think.

If Nicks loses next week, and Ross Lyon the next 2 games - they are gone.

Never understood the appointment of Ross Lyon - I still don't, especially after the revelation about the 'hush-money' payments to that poor young staffer at Freo.

Call be a cynical fool, but how long until Josh Gabelich joins the footy media boys club?

So far he feels like he has been the most consistent reporter for the longest period of time who hasn't gotten high off of his own supply.

I really rate his work but I really feel like the AFL media landscape is up against people like him.

You'd think serious concerns were being discussed behind board room doors about Clarkson, Lyon, Beveridge and Nicks.

This is what happens when contracts that are too long, or too much latitude in list management is given to coaches.

O'Brien out for an unfit 28yr old 6 gamer - who broke down at end of Q3 - says it all about a bloke who thinks he is much better than he actually is.

Clarkson probably survives, but the other 3 are in the last chance saloon you'd think.

Never understood the appointment of Ross Lyon - I still don't, especially after the revelation about the 'hush-money' payments to that poor young staffer at Freo.
Nicks the only one who's a chance.

Lyon will be fine, their list is not great.

Dogs looking better recently. I think the only way Bevo goes if by some sort of "mutual agreement" end of season.

Clarko, ditto. AFL won't sign off on what would be a multi-million $ payout, though they'd want to eek out at least a win or two because the fans are getting restless.

Nicks recently signed a 2 yr extension didn’t he ? If so, he won’t be sacked.

Ross has surrounded himself with mates. He won’t be sacked.

Bevo seems to have done similar.

Clarkson will cost too much.

I did not know the identity of the “other” commentator but found him inane and boring. The less I heard from him the better. To find out it was Joel Selwood, a premiership captain, was surprising. In the commentary stakes, Joel will struggle to get another contract. Hodges and Lingy have their faults, but they are both much better than Duckwood.

I reckon the after game panel of Daisy Thomas Abbey Holmes but put Jack R instead of Selwood would be Ideal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why we don't do 7:40 WA Local time games.

Why can't we have midnight ending games in Melbourne?

Actually, Strachan has been on Adelaide's list for the past 6 seasons. As someone who follows the SANFL closely, he has been a top player in the SANFL and I have been amazed he hasn't been given more opportunities in the AFL. It's almost a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back