Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great points.
I believe in getting the best talent available, particularly one that WANTS GEELONG.
Ollie Henry so far, is the only one ticking those boxes.
Nobody all year ever talked about Bowes or Bruhn until this Farm Week.
Suddenly they have become obsessions almost.
We have a superb list now(way better than my early assessment of middle road team late 21, early 22!!)with the amazing improvement in Close, Atkins, Zac G, DeK, Holmes, Stengle, Kolo, Miers, Stanley to the extent that we hardly have a bottom 6.
Having only lost Selwood, why all the consternation about these trade prospects?
It's amlost as if we have to be seen to WIN everything.
Yep, and all those poster writing off Stephens and Knevitt, what a joke. Atkins, Close and Jack Henry were just VFL players. Zuthrie too. It takes time to develop good players, and we have time. SDK took two summers to become a monster. Let's just wait and see.

Once again, our development is the best in the AFL. And I rate development over drafting (yes, I do understand that you have to have raw potential to develop). That means it takes time. If we are relying on hitting the ground running based on draft picks, then we are in strife as none of our newly drafter players just start off as locks in the 22 (or very rarely do they do this). And our system has been proven to work.

But then how can people like Jake Niall and Matthew Lloyd talk about how Geelong are ruining the integrity of the competition?!
Old school thinking in that you need to pay extreme amounts to players over a very long contract period to ensure that towards the end (or somewhere in said period) those teams cannot chase big names and need to start drafting kids. This invariably means they start dropping down the ladder yet again because they need to shift mature players out to keep paying premiums to their big names.

Carlton will need to win a premiership in the next three years for example or they're going to be up against it from a cap perspective in trying to hold on to the next lot coming through.

Absolute grubs of the lowest order. Here's a quick sample of their "Geelong has ruined the AFL" from today:

Seriously, when you are bored and have a few minutes to spare, just line some of these media people up against each other and see what we're dealing with. Ask yourself how someone comes to be in the media and in that type of gossip journo type role in the first place. We aren't talking about captains of industry here.

I won't name too many for fear I'll get outed in here, but I have seen a few of these punters up close and in real life situations and they are very average operators.

Mitch Cleary is one of the better one's and he started out working behind the scenes as a gopher / lacky at Ch9 on the footy show.

Gerard Whateley is at or close to the top of the pile for credibility ....... check out his background as a footy loving supporter and how he came through the ranks.

Hutchy / Robbo / Jake Niall / Tom Browne. Nah I'll stop there I think before I say something I'll regret.

Yep, and all those poster writing off Stephens and Knevitt, what a joke. Atkins, Close and Jack Henry were just VFL players. Zuthrie too. It takes time to develop good players, and we have time. SDK took two summers to become a monster. Let's just wait and see.

Once again, our development is the best in the AFL. And I rate development over drafting (yes, I do understand that you have to have raw potential to develop). That means it takes time. If we are relying on hitting the ground running based on draft picks, then we are in strife as none of our newly drafter players just start off as locks in the 22 (or very rarely do they do this). And our system has been proven to work.
I'm writing off Stephens but hold me to account if he makes it.

Skratch Bernie GIF by Skratch Labs

Find them.

Live pic of John doe 😂
Bom Dia Hello GIF

I love the sequence of us consistently being linked to players, people asking where we get our seemingly bottomless cap, then ignoring that we miss out of those players who walk for bigger contracts

Remember when we were getting Jade Rawlings... :straining:

Sorry but if we’re putting our midfield eggs in the Stephens, knevitt, Willis, whyte and Kroeger (with the latter 3 yet to debut) basket…I think we’re in some strife.

Half of, if not more will probably not even make it. Dempsey is the only one to show something but who knows

Well we wouldn’t be, you’ve got the guys already playing & future drafts.

I’ve personally been very iffy on him since we reached for him on draft night but actually thought he looked pretty good at AFL level still a ways off being a regular but still some progress, no idea what happened late in the season VFL wise though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute grubs of the lowest order. Here's a quick sample of their "Geelong has ruined the AFL" from today:

I mean you can understand why they perceive us as such an unstoppable juggernaut of success, what with us winning...

checks notes

...one solitary flag in the last 11 years.

Truly an unprecedented era of domination, that. I mean, sure, pedants might point out that Richmond and Hawthorn have won three times as many premierships as us over the last decade. But I think we can all agree that that's just a trivial detail that does nothing to change the fact that Geelong unending triumphs have ruined equalisation.

🙃

FFS just do something
If you're bored may I suggest watching Q1 - Geelong v Sydney - MCG - September 24 2022.
Q2 - Q3 - Q4 also cure boredom as well :smilev1:

I mean you can understand why they perceive us as such an unstoppable juggernaut of success, what with us winning...

checks notes

...one solitary flag in the last 11 years.

Truly an unprecedented era of domination, that. I mean, sure, pedants might point out that Richmond and Hawthorn have won three times as many premierships as us over the last decade. But I think we can all agree that that's just a trivial detail that does nothing to change the fact that Geelong unending triumphs have ruined equalisation.

🙃
Depends on your criteria.

If we continue to attack each year and put ourselves in a position to win the premiership then it changes the perception.

Only one other team has come close in that time and it's the Swans. The Tigers look to be trying the same thing now.

To me that means we are starting to be copied and that means our successes are being noted and other teams want the same.

You can't win the big one every year, but if you're up there then there's a chance to keep picking them off (dependent on other teams and their dominance in any given season).

Yeah, I'm over holding anyone to account. I tried to after our premiership victory, having shots at a couple of our more pessimistic posters, but it turns out that it doesnt sit right with me and I don't really care.

If he doesn't make it, he doesn't make. I'm sure someone else will make it in that case. It's inevitable really.

And Nick Holland

Yeah, I'm over holding anyone to account. I tried to after our premiership victory, having shots at a couple of our more pessimistic posters, but it turns out that it doesnt sit right with me and I don't really care.

If he doesn't make it, he doesn't make. I'm sure someone else will make it in that case. It's inevitable really.
Yeah all good, I'm not meaning to be a pessimistic supporter, I just don't think Stephens can play/I'm 70% sure he can't play.

I'm not having a go at you, I just have a lot of doubts about him. I know it's still earlyish and he could still prove me wrong. The doors not closed yet but I haven't seen enough from him to have any confidence he will make it so I'm no longer counting that he will.

Knevitt has more time but again, serious doubts, he at least knows how to find some easy ball compared to Stephens.

Conway has shown a bit and I'm a bit more bullish about him (I wasn't excited to draft him). Dempsey has some talent, I'm hopeful he might amount to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back