Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

To paraphrase, it’s the worst system except for all the others…

I don’t know of many ways it could be improved. I have raised previously the idea of struggling clubs getting more cap space temporarily to attract talent. I think that would work better than priority picks. Perhaps another thing would be to provide some cap bonus for retained players. Maybe if you have been at a club longer than 5 years only 90% of your salary counts under the cap. Six years = 80%, etc. That might encourage some stability and loyalty to the better run clubs. I’d want to think about that more though.

PPicks seem a poor answer to what is used to justify them. Giving them more ultra talented kids..who have choices when OOC... and will be the hardest to retain seems illogical. Id try Absolute Unrestricted FA' where they could get any player with no need for the service element .. the same as GC and GWS could recruit when the started up. at least they could help them immediately not give help years down the track.

There are probably several way you could shuffle the cards.. but in the end ... somehow you have to increase the appeal of these 2nd choice clubs. Maybe a discount on cap, maybe a few players that are cap excempt who knows. Im glad its not my problem.

To paraphrase, it’s the worst system except for all the others…

I don’t know of many ways it could be improved. I have raised previously the idea of struggling clubs getting more cap space temporarily to attract talent. I think that would work better than priority picks. Perhaps another thing would be to provide some cap bonus for retained players. Maybe if you have been at a club longer than 5 years only 90% of your salary counts under the cap. Six years = 80%, etc. That might encourage some stability and loyalty to the better run clubs. I’d want to think about that more though.

For equalisation you'd have to gut loyalty.

I'd have a variable cap based on performance over the last three years. Which would force top teams to bleed uncontracted talent. The effect lasts three years and would prevent top teams from spending much in new recruitment, they'd have to be creative.

A first place finish gives you a multiplier of 0.9, coming last gives you a multiplier of 1.1 with steps in between

lets say the base salary cap is 15 million, finish last three years in a row your salary cap is now 15 X 1.1^3 = 19.965, winning a three peat would bring you down to 11 million.

I'd don't think any further priority picks would be necessary.

Unrelated I'd get rid of the draft and locking in maximums for new recruitments to the league. There is way too much focus on U18 talent . If someone wants to start a wonderkid on 300k pa the should be able to do so.

Back from watching the APS top of the table game Caulfield GS v Brighton GS. Ended up a draw after Caulfield had a 6 goal lead at once stage and had been the dominant team all season. Some really impressive kids out there.
Pls have your chauffeur write up some detailed notes for us

Its a weird system. The top side pays as much as the bottom in sal cap..., it's the reward of the experience outside of pure football that one probably gets better value from.
Even weirder when you consider that the bottom clubs still have to pay 95% of their cap as an average across a rolling period. So North have to pay all their spuds overs, just to satisfy a minimum cap rule, and it leaves them with no money to attract actual talent. I could understand a minimum cap in the 50-75% range, but 95% is just stupid.

He also reported that GWS midfielder Tim Taranto is likely to join either Richmond or Collingwood, with Geelong still somewhat in the mix.
Richmond are right in the mix here. I know he’s been linked heavily with Collingwood, but Richmond (is) coming hard for Tim Taranto as well.
“So the Pies have a dog in the fight here, Geelong to some extent as well, even though the Cats like the idea of Jacob Hopper in the hoops next year

Jordan De Goey
“De Goey will either be at Collingwood or St Kilda next year. I think if you’re a betting man you’re putting your chips in the Collingwood corner at the moment and he stays at the price that is right for Collingwood.”

Kid called Josh Weddle is apparently worth a look. Plays for Carey and Oakleigh Chargers. Heard some good wraps.
Another Carey Grammar boy (although only just came in). His stocks are rising and I think he will be a bolter. Only real knock is his skills are average and decision making - but athleticism is off the charts with really good size, so will excite recruiters in terms of what he could be.

Playing off the backline for now

Another Carey Grammar boy (although only just came in). His stocks are rising and I think he will be a bolter. Only real knock is his skills are average and decision making - but athleticism is off the charts with really good size, so will excite recruiters in terms of what he could be.

That’s what I’m hearing. Super athlete and terrific overhead. Lots of scope for improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The salary cap discussion over the past few pages is somewhat baffling to me. The AFL has the most effective equalisation system in world sport. Since the salary cap was implemented in 1987, 13 different clubs have won premierships and every single active club besides Gold Coast has made at least one grand final. Every if you take a smaller sample size and just look at the distribution of success since the turn of the century, there have been 11 different premiers since 2000, and 15 different grand finalists. Compare that to other sports leagues around the world and I see no basis to complain.

The system doesn't just work, it works extremely well. It doesn't need to be reformed at all. We should be proud of the way we do equalisation in the AFL.

Last edited:
The salary cap discussion over the past few pages is somewhat baffling to me. The AFL has the most effective equalisation system in world sport. Since the salary cap was implemented in 1987, 13 different clubs have won premierships and every single active club besides Gold Coast has made at least one grand final. Every if you take a smaller sample size and just look at the distribution of success since the turn of the century, there have been 11 different premiers since 2000, and 15 different grand finalists. Compare that to other sports leagues around the world.

The system doesn't just work, it works extremely well. It doesn't need to be reformed at all. We should be proud of the way we do equalisation in the AFL.
That’s fair. The results speak for themselves.

The discussion is really around the only flaw in the system is a team like North having to pay the same cap as a team like Geelong. It doesn’t make much sense. With a few tweaks you could help North get better quicker and more effectively than the current priority pick system.

The salary cap discussion over the past few pages is somewhat baffling to me. The AFL has the most effective equalisation system in world sport. Since the salary cap was implemented in 1987, 13 different clubs have won premierships and every single active club besides Gold Coast has made at least one grand final. Every if you take a smaller sample size and just look at the distribution of success since the turn of the century, there have been 11 different premiers since 2000, and 15 different grand finalists. Compare that to other sports leagues around the world and I see no basis to complain.

Just because it works (and works well for the most part) doesn't mean it doesn't have room for improvement. Why should a team full of kids (like North) have to pay out 95% of their cap minimum? You end up being stuck with players who are overpaid purely due to salary cap rules. That's my biggest gripe, and it puts a barrier on North being able to bring in new and better talent.

Just because it works (and works well for the most part) doesn't mean it doesn't have room for improvement. Why should a team full of kids (like North) have to pay out 95% of their cap minimum? You end up being stuck with players who are overpaid purely due to salary cap rules. That's my biggest gripe, and it puts a barrier on North being able to bring in new and better talent.
It wasn’t that long ago that Melb weee in the same boat, things can change very quickly

Kid called Josh Weddle is apparently worth a look. Plays for Carey and Oakleigh Chargers. Heard some good wraps.

I mentioned him in the games I watched. Probably not what we need though For a name..my bet we look at Binns in the draft

I mentioned him in the games I watched. Probably not what we need though For a name..my bet we look at Binns in the draft

Binns played yesterday for CGS. Can’t say I really noticed him too much. Saw him though in a Champs match and he did a few nice things. Where do you see him going? 3rd round?

Sounds like a Wells target

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back