Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I could seriously see the AFL taking some action on the rules if Geelong gets Bruhn and Henry. The bleating will be insufferable.
I don't think so. If the trades are about market place, then so be it I reckon. They will be compensated for it.

We are supposed to be Australia. People's liberties and Capitalism! Oh wait, not so sure anymore lol

Why target Geelong? If you look at Richmond you could argue they have brought as much or more in, particularly if they land Hopper and Tarranto. Collingwood if they land McStay and Hill? Bruhn and Henry are at best buying young potential not established players.
Because the afl want equalisation and we haven't equalised. Richmond have been good but not for an eternity and even they've not won a final in two years now

Because the afl want equalisation and we haven't equalised. Richmond have been good but not for an eternity and even they've not won a final in two years now
It's the public perception too. Geelong have become despised for not sinking to the lower reaches of the ladder after the trifecta of flags. "You had your glory, now rebuild with a few tough years in the bottom 6! Come back in 5 years". Even though they've not actually won any more premierships, while two other teams put together their own dynasties.

Both tried (Hawthorn) or are trying (Richmond) to follow the Geelong template but unless Richmond stay competing until 2028 I suspect the hate will remain a Geelong exclusive thing.

With our demographics, I'm thinking year on year.

I'm not the biggest fan of Caddy style trades. To give up the chance of top end for stability. When we're looking to fit only a couple of spots in the 22 I'd rather gamble we already have stability.
That assumes the alternative of top end is available. If that player isnt moving to us moving on and nailing the next tier of target as we have done here is correct.

Also we are going to have 10-15 older players retire in the next 2-3 years that we will have plenty of cap space and picks to bring in both (top end talent and stability depth) in trades.

I don’t get that as outside of the very traditional roles the game and players positions are very fluid. Rolling up and back etc.

If he plays as a midfielder that group we have very few players with speed and silky ball use.

I also see a role for Henry. The reason Rohan is so important other than speed is that he competes in the air. Tommy can’t jump at all and when outnumbered struggles to bring it to ground. Cameron too just isn’t that player. Henry and Rohan would be vying for the that hybrid role. Who is else on the current list fits that category? Maybe Dempsey but I reckon he is going to see a lot of midfield time in the VFL next season from all the games I saw.

I do agree henry is a luxury upgrade for the next 12-18 months which is why i said weeks ago id prioritise a grade mids but if we cant get them and he wants to come then we should do it as hs is clearly talented and in 2-3 years when hawkins and rohan etc are gone having him will be very useful.

I knows there has been some consternation over him and his form...but if he is traded for our R1 this year.. I think it a big chance to be a better outcome than Hopper, if we can do something else with the other R1 pick..or keep it.

At the very least... P20 plus this year. versus Bruhn with 2 years in system ready to play. win for mine

Yep given they are basically picks in the 20s i think getting a player of bruhn or henrys talent level with 2 years development in is a good proposition.

Breakout Cat Zach Guthrie’s stark improvement is set to carry on, with the improving defender poised to sign a fresh two-year deal.

A standout in Geelong’s qualifying final classic win over Collingwood, Guthrie held the Cats defence together and locked in his spot for the remainder of the finals.

His impressive and cool intercept game capped off a season-long rise for the backman, who has played 19 of his 52 career games this season.

The springy defender will have some tough jobs on his plate against the Brisbane Lions in Friday’s preliminary final, with Guthrie likely to spend time on the likes of Zac Bailey, Lincoln McCarthy and even Charlie Cameron.

Guthrie is out of contract at the end of this season and a two-year extension would take him through to free agency.

When contacted by the Geelong Addy, Guthrie’s manager father Andrew Guthrie declined to comment.

Guthrie, 24, is the only member of Geelong’s first-choice side under the age of 30 who is out of contract at the end of the season.

He has said multiple times this year he was keen to stay at the club alongside his midfield star brother Cam, and last month Zach said he was happy to leave contract talks to others.

“I have been focusing on footy each week as it comes at the moment,” Guthrie said in August.

“The relevant people might be dealing with that in the background for me.”

Geelong is set to deal with its other out-of-contract players once its season ends, with Tom Hawkins, Zach Tuohy and Isaac Smith keen to play on and likely to secure new deals.

Skipper Joel Selwood is also out of contract beyond this season.

The Cats are working through the futures of luckless midfielder Sam Simpson and fringe player Quinton Narkle, while veterans Luke Dahlhaus and Shaun Higgins have been out of favour this year and could hang up the boots.

Small forward Francis Evans is also without a deal and has drawn interest from across the league, with Port Adelaide set to pursue the goalkicker, who’s VFL season has been highly rated at Geelong.

josh.barnes1@news.com.au
Well deserved for Zuthrie and great news for us.

Sounds like re-rookie on the cards for Simpson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how we get Henry, especially if we use this years R1 to land Bruhn.

If this years 1st was bruhn and henry wanted to come he would be our future 1st (if we are brave and pies send something back with him) or our current R2 + future 2nd i reckon.

I've given this about 3 seconds of thought but any chance Gold Coasts pick 25 is gettable? Knowing they will want to move to Brisbane's first pick (and probably their 2nd as well since Bris's first 2 picks will get swallowed up most likely)

We have our 2nd and a bunch of thirds. Might mean we get to keep next years first.

For GC it could mean they have more ammo to satisfy Brisbane while holding on to more of their 2nd rounders than they otherwise might have.

18 and 25 would get close to landing Bruhn and Henry (yes I know will be pushed out etc etc but still close)

I think gc will move their r2s for brisbanes r1 but yes they are tight for list spots again so they might move one of their r2s for our future r2 (like the pick trades they did last year).

Well deserved for Zuthrie and great news for us.

Sounds like re-rookie on the cards for Simpson?

He has talent so i hope we dont give up on him but with close and atkins elevated and bruhn coming in simpson probably has to go to the rookie list unless sav is traded.

The interest in Hopper petered out based on the kind of money he was after. Geelong doesn't pay overs. I don't think things ever got that far with DeGoey other than an expression of interest and maybe a chat.

Agreed. Bruhn much better value cap wise.

Agreed. Bruhn much better value cap wise.
Bruhn and Willis will both be little midfield bulls... Parfitt and Atkins go hard at it too.

It's just a question whether our next gen taller mids will make it. That's probably an area we might target later, along with KPP.

Bruhn: agree above in you point to Caldwell. I’d do something like:

18 + 36 for Bruhn + 21. GWS get 36 plus an upgrade from 21 to 18. They can’t ask for much more than that based on output, precedent and what they get for hopper TT etc.

Then use 21 for Henry + pick in the 40s (say 47).

Evans for 56.

Then package 51,54, 56, 60 for Brisbanes 33.

Gives us 33, 46, 47 to take to draft.

• Bruhn
  • Henry

Brisbane wont have the list spots to carry that many extra picks plus their r1 probably goes to gc in a trade. Gws will also want more for bruhn than that and i doubt they will want later picks either (as they will have a list spot issue). I get your idea though.

Ideally we want to move our P36 plus some of our R3s to a club for an early 20s pick-move that for bruhn, move 18 for henry and keep our future picks if possible but i wouldnt be surprised if our futures get involved. We can move our r3s this year as we wont have the list spots to use them all anyway (i doubt we take more than 2-3 picks max).

Wouldn't Geelong need to upgrade Brad Close from the Rookie list during the draft?
Wouldn't that leave us with 1 pick?
The Cats players list page no longer seems to identify rookie listed players as in the past for some reason.

Geelong can take 1 ND pick and elevate close and atkins to meet the 3 mandatory list changes if we want-can trade out all other picks for players or into futures.

That assumes the alternative of top end is available. If that player isnt moving to us moving on and nailing the next tier of target as we have done here is correct.

Also we are going to have 10-15 older players retire in the next 2-3 years that we will have plenty of cap space and picks to bring in both (top end talent and stability depth) in trades.

There is no guarantee, what we did to get Holmes was a gamble. When you go for a Caddy type you're picking up someone else's runners up prize for a reduction in dud rate.

If we can't get the guarantee of Tuohy type, my preference was to go to the draft.

I do agree henry is a luxury upgrade for the next 12-18 months which is why i said weeks ago id prioritise a grade mids but if we cant get them and he wants to come then we should do it as hs is clearly talented and in 2-3 years when hawkins and rohan etc are gone having him will be very useful.
Agreed. Might be the strategy to go for Henry now, and then add Parish (another Geelong boy) as a FA next year.

Although Parish is a gun, we do have a lot of those 180cm type mids in next gen. Ideally I'd like to add a bigger sized established midfielder, but when a player like Parish is available as a FA, you have to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back