Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So assuming Hopper is done (and pick 18 with nothing else involved would be a steal - GWS cap issues or not) as Selwood retires, it leaves us with two other issues - key defender depth, and a transition / supporting ruck for the gap between Stanley and Ceglar retiring, Conway being able to come up.

Plenty already said re: ruck options, but what about key defender depth? No room to pay up if getting Hopper (and potentially targeting Grundy) - so need to find a cheap KPD backstop option to sit in VFL.

Outside draft options, was looking at the swans list. Melican or Gould perhaps? Either one would likely only cost us something like R3 or R4 pick and not much on the pay scale. (McAsey is the other one sitting in SANFL but others seem to be already into him more).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think at this point kpd is either going to be a draft and sit in the vfl or a failed forward to sit in the vfl. I don't think we should be looking ready made at this point.

I think sav could be that failed forward for us too

So assuming Hopper is done (and pick 18 with nothing else involved would be a steal - GWS cap issues or not) as Selwood retires, it leaves us with two other issues - key defender depth, and a transition / supporting ruck for the gap between Stanley and Ceglar retiring, Conway being able to come up.

Plenty already said re: ruck options, but what about key defender depth? No room to pay up if getting Hopper (and potentially targeting Grundy) - so need to find a cheap KPD backstop option to sit in VFL.

Outside draft options, was looking at the swans list. Melican or Gould perhaps? Either one would likely only cost us something like R3 or R4 pick and not much on the pay scale. (McAsey is the other one sitting in SANFL but others seem to be already into him more).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Gould I don't think it's ever going to be quick enough for modern senior afl too. Melican maybe but you'd be looking at trade ins who aren't going to evict to play seniors right away

I’m still on Sutherland watch for a cat b spot. He’s so far not signed for the bbl, still a chance to get a spot. Renegades have some spaces to fill but not having a spot already shows where he is at.
If things don’t pick up for him this summer I could see him asking around afl clubs to see their interest.

I’m still on Sutherland watch for a cat b spot. He’s so far not signed for the bbl, still a chance to get a spot. Renegades have some spaces to fill but not having a spot already shows where he is at.
If things don’t pick up for him this summer I could see him asking around afl clubs to see their interest.
He was ranked very highly his draft year wasn't he?

I wonder if giving Pick 18+46 to GWS for Hopper + 39 is doable?

They will want more than that. I assume it will be 18 + our future 2nd and i could live with that. If its 18 and our FR1 i wont be happy.

I think at this point kpd is either going to be a draft and sit in the vfl or a failed forward to sit in the vfl. I don't think we should be looking ready made at this point.

I think sav could be that failed forward for us too

Depends on if sav is kept or traded.

We wont be using many draft picks this year due to lisr squeeze but i hope one of them is a kpd.

How? They have salary cap issues. Unless you're talking low contract players, maybe Esava and a pick. Or one of Simpson/Parfitt/Narkle and a pick?
They are losing Taranto, Hooper, Hill and Bruhn. I would assume they would want players that can slot right in.

GWS have expressed interest in Esava previously. Could potentially also see a Narkle in the mix there.

They will want more than that. I assume it will be 18 + our future 2nd and i could live with that. If its 18 and our FR1 i wont be happy.
Can't see it being 2 x R1s, considering they need cap relief. If we do that, we will probably get 2 x R2s back.

He was ranked very highly his draft year wasn't he?
I’m pretty sure he was a key forward who was rated very highly. Probably played mostly school footy I imagine. Would be hard having missed so much development. But perhaps he could develop into a key defender with his size and footy skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Esava wants a new start I’m sure he’ll find one. If you look at most teams they have pretty poor key forwards. He’s not going to be a star but someone will think they can get something out of him. You only need to look at the Pies team last night. They could certainly do with a key forward or two they can kick the ball too in a final to get a grab or contest.

If Esava wants a new start I’m sure he’ll find one. If you look at most teams they have pretty poor key forwards. He’s not going to be a star but someone will think they can get something out of him. You only need to look at the Pies team last night. They could certainly do with a key forward or two they can kick the ball too in a final to get a grab or contest.
I think the Eagles would be keen on Esava plus I think we could get some good value out of the trade with them.

I wonder how truthful the rumours on Bailey Scott wanting to come to Geelong... By all reports his speech at Roos presentation night didn't seem like he wanted to be traded
Mate of mine who attendeded NM b&f told me last night that B Scott told him it was a media beat up and he’s had no intention of moving...

They are losing Taranto, Hooper, Hill and Bruhn. I would assume they would want players that can slot right in.

GWS have expressed interest in Esava previously. Could potentially also see a Narkle in the mix there.
Would they take Stephens? Cheaper than they are losing but was a reasonably high pick with upside so maybe they would value him highly And reduce what we need to pay in picks?

The the question is Would we let him go? I reckon he will be frustrated next year if he isn’t regular 22 and even with Selwood going if you bring hopper, his relative positioning doesnt change? He is behind Parf who wasnt in best 22 last week!

Would they take Stephens? Cheaper than they are losing but was a reasonably high pick with upside so maybe they would value him highly And reduce what we need to pay in picks?

The the question is Would we let him go? I reckon he will be frustrated next year if he isn’t regular 22 and even with Selwood going if you bring hopper, his relative positioning doesnt change? He is behind Parf who wasnt in best 22 last week!
It's bloody hard to ask any player if they would like to be traded. As if you didn't want to, you would have a part in your head is they don't want me be here... and when that player contract comes up, they might want to leave in there personal way, as they would say stuff you, you wanted me to go...

If that makes sense.

It's bloody hard to ask any player if they would like to be traded. As if you didn't want to, you would have a part in your head is they don't want me be here... and when that player contract comes up, they might want to leave in there personal way, as they would say stuff you, you wanted me to go...

If that makes sense.
Agree but it's a 2 way thing. Some players will be yes while others say no. Afterall players want opportunities to play not be 2nd string. Also I guess coaching staff would already have an idea of players looking to stay or go before trade period. Look at Jordan Clark

He will not be playing AFL has a future in the long form of cricket

Last edited:

Would be interesting, I guess it would need to come from GWS if they request him as part of the trade.

I'd be surprised if they did. Most of the players they lost are mid/forwards with pace not big body mids. Not sure what he would add to GWS. I still think a player like Esava or Narkle would suit there needs better but who knows what GWS are thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back