Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Lol at Port supporters debating whether their club should pick-up Brandan Parfitt as a DFA. Wouldn't be surprised given Port's track record of collecting Geelong rejects like they're Pokemon over the past few years.

Buzza, Evans, Narkle, Ratugolea.....Parfitt?

:shoutyoldman:
He was in their academy so they know the player at least

Smith can probably choose between #2 or #3 unless he wants to go higher for whatever reason. But yes, the way it works is that he would most likely get first pick on a number and the rest sort themselves out.
You said we will Bailey Smith decision 24-48 hours... you still stand by that?

Yeah I don't really get the interest in Martin. Injury history and player type.
I thought we would have been put off constantly injured players after the Mitch Clark and Jack Steven experience, but here we are

What are your thoughts when watching Clark at VFL level?
Clark had moments where you can see he has the class to excel at the top level once he adapts to the speed of the game and his body can handle the higher intensity. Might be one of those who will look better at AFL rather than VFL
level but don’t expect to see that consistently until 2026.

You that confident we will fall heavy next year? I’m unsure and just spitballing ideas

Look if I had to bet my life on it id say we finish 7th-8th.
But with the list profile we have (gun older players great crew under 23 but lacking in the age bracket inbetween in key positions) I feel it's too big a risk-if we lose Danger Stewart or Cameron for any length of time the wheels could easily go off and we finish bottom 6.
We went through this with the henry trade and if we had risked it then (luckily didnt) we would have given away a top 10 pick.
I'd make next year's first off limits and im sure we will tell the dogs that.

Going to be interesting to view the interest in mature age talent this draft. After seeing Mannagh be such an effective acquisition this year, you’d think more clubs will be considering drafting players in their 20’s.

The depth of this draft though may count against some of these players this year. I would assume that if list spots are tight clubs will generally defer to u18 talent.

It's interesting this is a good draft for mature age talent but as you say its also very decent and even for u18s and when that happens a lot of mature agers fall to the rookie draft so its definitely possible someone like henderson goes only late. But it only takes one club to jump early.

Rumour on the dogs board about an out of contract geelong player touring their facilities-I would assume it's clohesy purely because the only other ooc players are bews duncan and stanley and i doubt the dogs want them.

I am far more bullish on Clark as a prospect than I am about COS.

Clark is a much safer pick in the sense he will play at least 100 games and be a solid role player (think atkins kolo etc) but I reckon COS has a way higher ceiling but more bust potential.

Rumour on the dogs board about an out of contract geelong player touring their facilities-I would assume it's clohesy purely because the only other ooc players are bews duncan and stanley and i doubt the dogs want them.
If closesy thinks he has a better chance of cracking the bulldogs midfield than he does ours then good luck to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we can assume that Smith and J.Martin are pretty well locked in.

I’m predicting that Smith will cost us pick 15 plus F2. There may be some exchange of later picks.

Martin will get to us as a DFA.

With Hawkins and Foster leaving we’ll look to bring in at least one tall forward. Unless we look to play SDK as a KPF we are looking particularly thin in this type of player.

Mature aged player/s will have to form part of our new influx. Jack Henderson has been mentioned but I reckon we’d have to be considering others. Hopefully Southports’ Jacob Heron is one.

From the draft assuming we retain our second round pick (37) I’d be looking at a kid such L.Jacques. Local kid who plays half back. He’d be possibly available around that part of the draft. We may go tall here though if any of the rated young talls fall this late.

Let Wells hopefully weave some magic with a tall late in the draft. But quality talls taken late are a rarity.

I'm 10 pages behind, but not sure if this has been asked. JL going to Port Adelaide. I wonder where does this leave Ollie Lord future at Port Adelaide? I know we were into Ollie Lord last year but will this open Ollie thoughts of leaving?

He will probably still stay as dixon and finlayson are cooked and marshall has concussions but it cant hurt us to ask.

I am far more bullish on Clark as a prospect than I am about COS.
Yeah COS gives off baby giraffe vibes and I haven’t really seen much to get excited about although you can see the talents there. Another 2026 onwards type but hopefully he and Clark have a huge summer and surprise us next year.

Clark is a much safer pick in the sense he will play at least 100 games and be a solid role player (think atkins kolo etc) but I reckon COS has a way higher ceiling but more bust potential.
I think COS has huge bust potential.

I have a strong reluctance to drafting a defender that high. They are usually defenders as juniors for a reason.

Someone did name Clohesy as the player who toured

Not surprised if they said contracted then it opens up a lot of options incl Knevitt but if its an uncontracted player it has to be him.

If closesy thinks he has a better chance of cracking the bulldogs midfield than he does ours then good luck to him

I assume if he goes there he's happy to play small forward instead of mainly mid. The dogs need a small forward and bevo has a history of playing random small spuds in the front half like vandermeer, harmes, mcneil etc so he might get games that way.
I'd like to keep him but hes the young player we can most afford to lose to get smith in.

I think COS has huge bust potential.

I have a strong reluctance to drafting a defender that high. They are usually defenders as juniors for a reason.

I don't like drafting pure kpd that high either but in fairness his 2k time was elite and he's good skills wise so he could theoretically play wing blicavs style of a number of other roles depending on how hes developed. it gives us more options at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back