Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I really think this is where statistics can be misinterpreted. Hitouts are basically an individual stat, 1 out of 44 players on the field can increase you chances of winning by 1.6%. Maybe as a team that’s not a lot but if 5-6 players improve your chances of winning by 1.6% it starts to add up. And that’s only part of a rucks contribution, they are often influential in terms of clearances, presenting as a marking target, and dropping back and contesting in the air.

In addition, the stat is kind of useless IMO without margin. What’s the win rate if you win hitouts by 1 vs 10%, 30%, 50%. Geelong had 70% less hitouts than North Melbourne, we won that specific game but I do wonder if you ever hit a tipping point where hitouts stats to influence things more.
Yep - actually scratch the surface of a stat and look at the interplay of multiple factors before making a declaration like “hit outs are meaningless”.

That is intelligent thinking.

I remember once earlier in ROBs career that happened but I don't think it's been as clear cut since.
Maybe not as clear cut... but still whoops Stanley for fun (which isn't hard for any strong-bodied ruck I guess).

R2 this year.

ROB 18 touches, 47 taps, 9 clearances, 1 goal.

ROB is no superstar... no Nicnat, no Gawn, no Grundy, but he goes much better than given credit for IMO.

No chance we get Waterman IMO. His manager will just use us and others to force West Coast to cough up. They will milk them for eveything they have. This will be his last big contract. First and last given he has really only just got over injurues and got some runs on the board this year. He's the son of a club legen and WA local, hence the reason he's be unlikely to leave unless they really lowball him on his next deal..

The other factor is he's under contract at the Eagles next year. After the Tim Kelly deal, they will want the farm and then some.

Eagles will reward his form this year with a decent contract.

Also, I was quite surprised to see him listed as only 192cm.

Maybe not as clear cut... but still whoops Stanley for fun (which isn't hard for any strong-bodied ruck I guess).

R2 this year.

ROB 18 touches, 47 taps, 9 clearances, 1 goal.

ROB is no superstar... no Nicnat, no Gawn, no Grundy, but he goes much better than given credit for IMO.
My sense is that he is not popular with the crows fans. Why would that be?

He got 99+ in his year 12 results, maybe they are suspicious of people with high intelligence.

Sounds like a few posters on here.

Do we see a straight trade of Neale for him?
all I see is a manager fleecing WC for more $$ using GFC as bait.

GO Catters

Do we see a straight trade of Neale for him?
I wouldn't, and I'd expect it would be Neale + a pick within the first 2 rounds.

As good as Waterman has been this year, it's one year, and at 26 years old.

Going to need to see more before we risk losing Neale, and potentially another good pick IMO. Another year of this form (or similar) and I'd be a lot more open.

He could be another Jack Anthony for all we know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waterman's stats have been almost identical for 6 straight years and then BANG!

6 years of 12 touches and 1 goal per game.

This year everything is still pretty much the same but 3x goals and 3x contested marks.

Maybe he has just got his body 100% with no Kennedy and Darling on the way out, he is just getting targeted much more.

Suspect looking stats and you wouldn't wanna put your house on him continuing such form for a long time.

Credit to him though... this year will earn him plenty of extra $$$

This year everything is still pretty much the same but 3x goals and 3x contested marks.

Maybe he has just got his body 100% with no Kennedy and Darling on the way out, he is just getting targeted much more.

Suspect looking stats and you wouldn't wanna put your house on him continuing such form for a long time.

If they didn’t have any doubt that this form was a fluke, then they wouldn't consider trading him for one second.

He's 26, and one of the only good players in that side. On this year's form, he's more than that. He's a great player.

You build around players like that, you don't get rid of them to build something else.

...Unless of course you believe he can't back this up in the coming years, then you cash in while you can.

all I see is a manager fleecing WC for more $$ using GFC as bait.

GO Catters
I think so too - the good news is, worse case, we're forcing clubs to cough up top dollar and it's always in our best interests to see other clubs paying what they should be and filling their salary cap which means less money for others which could force other players out.

Could you imagine if we got Obrien and teamed him with Conway?

Has there ever been an all-ranga ruck combo at afl level?
Did Barry Stoneham ever play 2nd ruck to Damian Bourke?

He has had significant health issues that have cleared up this year. It makes sense that this has been his best year, he has always had talent but this is the first time as an adult player (ie. not a developing player) that he has been able to train properly and get a solid preseason.

I expect that this is his new level.

If they didn’t have any doubt that this form was a fluke, then they wouldn't consider trading him for one second.

He's 26, and one of the only good players in that side. On this year's form, he's more than that. He's a great player.

You build around players like that, you don't get rid of them to build something else.

...Unless of course you believe he can't back this up in the coming years, then you cash in while you can.
I suspect there is some lingering bitterness between him and WC. I know that there was some tension with how his prior medical issues were treated by the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back