Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Soldo was dropped for Sweet before getting injured.

And there's no doubt you can trade in players who can become good rucks in time. But if they've had very little AFL exposure they're basically another Conway. They're highly likely to struggle until they get 20+ games under their belts so you're not solving anything for 2025.

Look at Meek who was turning 25 with 15 games under his belt when he arrived at Hawthorn. It still took a year of ordinary footy before he came good.

Pretty sure every one of those is contracted. As I said Ladhams might be gettable. I'd be surprised if the others are.

As for the guys stuck in a queue they're highly unlikely to jump from VFL to AFL seemlessly next year to solve our number 1 ruck issues. And are any of the ones you're thinking of even gettable and how much would they cost?
Depend which way you look at it. I think Sweet would have played games for us this season too, which means he'd already be worth the pick we have to give up.

And even if the 23yo VFL player (Bryan, for instance) isn't good for a couple of years, what's the alternative? in 2 years Stanley and Blicavs will be gone; SDK has played a few games as a ruck ever; and Conway is fragile and probably unlikely to play 23 games next year even in the best case scenario.

Even if whoever we get is basically another Conway, as you say, I think that would be a good thing. Going in with 2 Conways for next season would make me feel a lot more comfortable than 1 and very little else.

People mentioning Moyle for us, but he obviously isn't leaving GC. Unless they are talking about his brother who did well against Fort the other week. Not sure how big of a rig he is though.
The chat moved on a long time ago with Moyle from what I can remember and I read this thread most days.

The chatter is all about Obrien from the Crows and more recently Bryan from Essendon

Moyle signed a lengthy contract a month ago

Depend which way you look at it. I think Sweet would have played games for us this season too, which means he'd already be worth the pick we have to give up.

And even if the 23yo VFL player (Bryan, for instance) isn't good for a couple of years, what's the alternative? in 2 years Stanley and Blicavs will be gone; SDK has played a few games as a ruck ever; and Conway is fragile and probably unlikely to play 23 games next year even in the best case scenario.

Even if whoever we get is basically another Conway, as you say, I think that would be a good thing. Going in with 2 Conways for next season would make me feel a lot more comfortable than 1 and very little else.

Sure but let's not pretend it's a solution for next year.

I don't have a problem with people suggesting we recruit an inexperienced ruckman. I have a problem with people implying adding a Reidy (0 AFL games) or Bryan at 22 (who's contracted and likely not gettable anyway) is an obvious solution for next year when that's basically never worked before as a short-term fix.

on the subject of degrees and their value, had a mate who was doing economics and law. Really bright, would've been able to go into corporate stuff with a wonderful salary if he wanted but he gave it up to do a doctorate in philosophy and he is the happiest man I know.
Value isn't always money, its just about being able to live the way you want (which money helps with, but isn't everything).

I'm told Smith wants to come to Geelong too but isn't it a risk buying a property before a trade is sorted? Just because he wants to come doesn't meant it's a foregone conclusion.
Technically true, but it's not often OOC players of his calbre don't get to their nominated destination. You get the occassional Nick Stevens, Jack Martin, Luke Ball - but they're very, very rare.

Also, I think the Cats have consistently demonstrated over the years their committment to players to get deals done. Our track record is outstanding in this regard. We just get deals done for the guys we want.

I think the Dogs will drag it out until the last day to maximise their compensation, but an agreement is very likely to eventuate. Dogs won't want him going to the draft and getting them no compensation.

Technically true, but it's not often OOC players of his calbre don't get to their nominated destination. You get the occassional Nick Stevens, Jack Martin, Luke Ball - but they're very, very rare.

Also, I think the Cats have consistently demonstrated over the years their committment to players to get deals done. Our track record is outstanding in this regard. We just get deals done for the guys we want.

I think the Dogs will drag it out until the last day to maximise their compensation, but an agreement is very likely to eventuate. Dogs won't want him going to the draft and getting them no compensation.
Dogs will try and hard ball but in the end will have to accept what we offer
They can’t afford to keep him
English likely stays and a bloke who deserve massive money out of contract next year

Nick Bryan not coming to Geelong as he knows he will be behind Conway and he wants to play AFL footy

I'm told Smith wants to come to Geelong too but isn't it a risk buying a property before a trade is sorted? Just because he wants to come doesn't meant it's a foregone conclusion.
U gotta be able to read the tea leaves a little better
That is one long settlement
Bloody Vendors!!

The thing with Darcy (I don't want him) is that even if Freo kicked in money for his current contract, ala Pies-Grundy, the man himself clearly doesn't want to move.

You don't sign a massive deal until the end of 2030 just 12-months ago, if you aren't seriously invested in the club and the location.

He has clearly established himself in WA and made it home. He obviously likes living there and has committed to remaining there for a long time.

That ship has sailed for so many different reasons.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or the deal was just way too good to say no.

Doesn’t mean he is invested, it means that freo were prepared to pay him way more than anyone else.

And no club should be helping them out of that situation. Leave them to deal with their mess, it is going to be an albatross for years to come.

The bolded is your MO. Making wild claims with absolutely no substance, e.g. Mannagh will request a trade at the end of the year. There’s always this undercurrent of “the sky will fall in if we don’t recruit X position”, the past few years it’s been a KPD, now it’s a ruck.

There’s 23 players that take the field, what matters is system, not individual positions. Hence why we prioritise position flexibility. Our ruck department is fine, our KPD personnel is fine. We have a huge core of players coming through in the under 25 age group, all that matters is they keep developing.
I give players plenty of rope when it comes to durability. But at some point you need to prove that you have it.

Conway has given us plenty of evidence to support a theory that he is not durable. And no evidence at all to support a theory that he can withstand the rigours of ruck in the AFL.

He can clearly play, and I hope he makes it.

But at this point we should be assuming that he won’t be regularly available and plan accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure but let's not pretend it's a solution for next year.

I don't have a problem with people suggesting we recruit an inexperienced ruckman. I have a problem with people implying adding a Reidy (0 AFL games) or Bryan at 22 (who's contracted and likely not gettable anyway) is an obvious solution for next year when that's basically never worked before as a short-term fix.
Perhaps, but I think you've also got to view what's out there relative to what you've got. Our ruck situation for next year is looking pretty dire. e.g., assuming Stanley retires, 16 games for Bryan makes him a relative veteran compared to Conway (6 games), Furphy (0 games), and Edwards (0 games), making him our most experienced ruck option (not including Blicavs who will also be 34yo and has generally only really played as a 2nd ruck).

There are also a few examples of what you're talking about. Nankervis crossed to Richmond as a 22yo with 12 games experience and played 24 games the next season. Likewise Sam Jacobs (22yo and 17 games) when he went to Adelaide.

Last edited:

It's 2024.

If a player says he wants to get to destination XYZ, he's getting to XYZ

1. You don't want to piss off player agents, you get a Freo/Colin Young situation.

2. You don't want bad rep between List Managers

3. If a player is OOC or an Unrestricted Free Agent, the player has the power.

Smith hasn’t purchased yet from what I’m told. Still actively looking in and around the same area.

But if Geelong want him - and he wants Geelong - history tells us for a player out of contract, he’ll get the outcome he wants.

Clubs biggest fear is holding players back - it kills their reputation with player managers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

People mentioning Moyle for us, but he obviously isn't leaving GC. Unless they are talking about his brother who did well against Fort the other week. Not sure how big of a rig he is though.

Moyle signed last month til 2028. Isnt going anywhere.

To be fair I floated his name as he was putting up good numbers, is young, only has had 8 games played this year and isn't likely to dislodge Witts. Witts is 31 and might retire soon, but thats 2 years of development he might miss out on.

But I also suggested him 1. because of King and 2. before I found out he had signed a new deal.

It's 2024.

If a player says he wants to get to destination XYZ, he's getting to XYZ

1. You don't want to piss off player agents, you get a Freo/Colin Young situation.

2. You don't want bad rep between List Managers

3. If a player is OOC or an Unrestricted Free Agent, the player has the power.
100%.

Whether we underpay or overpay is in the eye of beholder, but the deal will get done regardless. That's the non negotiable part.

Honest expectation is Smith requests the trade within a day or two of the period opening (or at the conclusion of WBD/Geel seasons) and it takes until the final hours to get the deal done.

He's likely to be the biggest name available unless a contracted player moves.

The AFL loves manufacturing suspense for this stuff, but I highly doubt that the deal will ever be in much doubt of getting done if he requests a trade here

100%.

Whether we underpay or overpay is in the eye of beholder, but the deal will get done regardless. That's the non negotiable part.

Honest expectation is Smith requests the trade within a day or two of the period opening (or at the conclusion of WBD/Geel seasons) and it takes until the final hours to get the deal done.

He's likely to be the biggest name available unless a contracted player moves.

The AFL loves manufacturing suspense for this stuff, but I highly doubt that the deal will ever be in much doubt of getting done if he requests a trade here
Is there some possibility it has already been agreed on? The suspense will form part of anyway.

Is there some possibility it has already been agreed on? The suspense will form part of anyway.
I'm a believer that that is often the case.

Posted earlier this year that the trade period is a lot more like WWE than we'd like to admit.

Fox and AFL.com want people tuning in on that last afternoon, where the cutoff is for deals is 7pm.

If the only deal left undone is a banged up Jon Ceglar for a token pick, then who's really paying attention?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back