Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I'm guessing like Stengle, he'd qualify as a FA given he was previously delisted by North?

He's about to turn 31 - but if you get 3 great years like Isaac Smith, worth thinking about..
Its been far too long since we had a left footed winger since Smithy left us.

Theres not enough quality targets on the market this year (in particular no good kpf ooc til next year). But if we are pushing retirements its so we can frontload deals and create a lot of space to hit hard a better FA pool at end 2025-same as we did at the end of 2015.

Who’s “on the market” is irrelevant. Clubs are more prepared to trade out contracted players now than ever before.

Watch Richmond - they’ll have 3-4 contracted players moved out. Wouldn’t surprise me if we had 1-2 out as well.

Mitch Knevitt may get walked out the front gates to a waiting car

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who’s “on the market” is irrelevant. Clubs are more prepared to trade out contracted players now than ever before.

Watch Richmond - they’ll have 3-4 contracted players moved out. Wouldn’t surprise me if we had 1-2 out as well.

Could land a juicy third-rounder for him.

I'm guessing like Stengle, he'd qualify as a FA given he was previously delisted by North?

He's about to turn 31 - but if you get 3 great years like Isaac Smith, worth thinking about..

Correct mason is UFA for life under the same rule as menegola and stengle.
Id be happy with him because hes a hard worker and a good leader..would be a decent squad player for free.

Clubs only move contracted players for overs and we cant afford to pay overs with where we are at. So it will only be ooc guys we can get value that we attack.

Richmond are different as they will be bottom 2 next year and need to dump players to get picks in. Our situation is not the same.

On knevitt he wouldnt have any value in a trade so we are better off keeping him.

I have mentioned his name... Matt Taberner, as a insurance policy wouldn't be a bad idea for next season or 2. Bit like Stuart Cramari.. ill be giving Neale all my backing, but if injuries come we won't have any backup as Phoenix will be delisted. But I'm all in for Fogarty as a RFA, but there in certain in getting Fogarty as well..
Taberner salary would be pigeon feed and won't cost much, plus his a UFA

But saying that, our 1st pick we need to get the best key forward thats available

During a tour I did yesterday I was chatting with the guide and there was the usual questions - where you from, what brings you to Perth etc. As soon as I said I was from Geelong, they asked if I was going to the footy - a couple of the guides were Freo supporters

Obviously the teams weren't out at this stage but discussing potential changes for both teams with bit of focus on Freo with Treacy being out - one asked the other if Taberner was a chance to return and the response "hope not"

Taberner is 31, he's been battling back issues that have restricted his playing availablity over recent years, the most games his played in a season is 17 & he's not rated by fans of his current team - all adds up to a very easy pass

Why would we trade Knevitt out when at best we would get a third rounder??

He is worth more to us than that

Why would we trade Knevitt out when at best we would get a third rounder??

He is worth more to us than that

Same reason we traded Stephens. a 4th year player drafted in the 20s who has played 13 career games, would probable have expected future games below 10. I don't think we'd be offered a 3rd rounder

Same reason we traded Stephens. a 4th year player drafted in the 20s who has played 13 career games, would probable have expected future games below 10. I don't think we'd be offered a 3rd rounder
I can understand that but still think with the amount of replacements we are going to need he will be more valuable to us than a late pick.

And that is if we don't think he will make it. If we do makes even less sense to get rid of him for a junk pick.

Id keep Bews on the list, not sure why everyone is so hell bent to give him the arse, really isnt that old and was coming from a mile back fitness base wise, was always going to build into the season and is now playing very solid footy in a position we have basically no depth in (he's also the only smaller defender we have that can actually defend and take his opponent out of the game).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who knows anything about that draft knew Knevitt was a long term project that needed development, would be madness to invest time into him only to piss him off before we've even been able to reap the rewards of the time put into him, be baffled if we let him go personally.

Anyone who knows anything about that draft knew Knevitt was a long term project that needed development, would be madness to invest time into him only to piss him off before we've even been able to reap the rewards of the time put into him, be baffled if we let him go personally.
I don't even know you can really say he's been that far below expectations given his frame when drafted.

I remember his first vfl game there was a passage of on the wing where he elected to bump an oppo player running past and he basically ragdolled himself he bounced off him that hard.

He's only at the point now, 3 years after drafting, that he's back to his juniors position of playing inside mid in the 2s and even that's just a rotation here and there.

Will be be a superstar? No. But he has so many little afl level traits that if we can't turn him into something then that's on us not him.

I don't even know you can really say he's been that far below expectations given his frame when drafted.

I remember his first vfl game there was a passage of on the wing where he elected to bump an oppo player running past and he basically ragdolled himself he bounced off him that hard.

He's only at the point now, 3 years after drafting, that he's back to his juniors position of playing inside mid in the 2s and even that's just a rotation here and there.

Will be be a superstar? No. But he has so many little afl level traits that if we can't turn him into something then that's on us not him.
My hope for him is he can eek out a Menegola esque career after another pre-season or two.

Big bodied inside/outside mid who can mark overhead, with a massive tank, and can hopefully be the long-term partner to Dempsey on the wing if we're intent on Holmes being a midfielder or a halfback.

Never a star, but a solid contributor week to week. Has patches where you think he could be something more than that, and then patches where he reminds you of what he is.

The irony is Menegola was being delisted at a similar point in his career, so while he looks a fair way off being what Sam was at this stage - there's still plenty of time.

Id keep Bews on the list, not sure why everyone is so hell bent to give him the arse, really isnt that old and was coming from a mile back fitness base wise, was always going to build into the season and is now playing very solid footy in a position we have basically no depth in (he's also the only smaller defender we have that can actually defend and take his opponent out of the game).
I like Bews and as you say we don’t have many small defenders. But if you’re 30, out of contract and play vfl all season it’s unlikely you’ll get another contract.

I haven't seen much talk about Kayle Gerreyn, but with us likely to trade out our 1st, 100% want him with our 1st available pick. Extremely well rounded for a guy his size at 199cm, has a solid frame so won't have any issues putting on weight.

Walking the dog on the weekend with my reliable source of info again.
We shall banter a little more deeply me thinks.
I will say let's not get too focused on OOC/FA and in particular A graders.
As building a team is a jigsaw puzzle. His words not mine.
His name dropping of players had me stop walking on more than few occasions.
Cheers

Ok, it's the weekend already.

You walked that dog yet??

Get to it man - we're all waiting!!

😊

Because when you are over 30 and they clearly arent going to play you its a waste of a list spot.

The dog got the walk... i got the talk.
Have been balls deep into a few...
We were chasing Josh Battle harder than most might think. Reckons that ship has sailed into another port.
Mason Wood has been approached.
For more of bringing in a true AFL professional albeit a 31yo for guiding figure that can offer 12-15 games a year for 2??
Likely staying. Money talks on this one unfortunately.
Apparently his work ethic and guidance with a few youngsters at Moorabbin has been top class.
Balls deep into Jye Caldwell and his team mate Will Setterfield prior to the season. Still have a shot at one(WS)
Did say the young fella Tsatis is up for sale... or should i say available.
Going hard at Bowes ex team mate Alex Davies. A bit praise from those within that he is undervalued in QLD.
Cooper Hamilton?? got a mention when he said we've kicked Cummings' tyres. Adamant that a certain key defender in NSW an ex Bellarine boy will be in the hoops in 2 years time. His words... put ya house on it. lol.
Oh and Buku Khamis was again mentioned as we had approached him at the end of last season. Quite buoyed by our chances of snagging him as we left the car park. Again. Money will determine how this plays out.
Quick walk today as his kids were playing footy today.
Cheers Boys!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back