Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Stars don't come cheap. The only one who would is Oliver and he doesn't fit the criteria.
Boy is that guy a mystery at the moment.

Chucks in a decent game and people love him all of a sudden... but then goes back to looking like a more cooked Jacob Hopper.

I have no clue what he will be next year.

Might come good... might completely flame out and have the worst contract in AFL history.

We need inside bulls. Holmes & Dempsey will be special for 10 years. Add in Smith if you like.

Love a quality inside bull though. They're tough to find. A really good one.
Harley Reid?

Still feel like Smith this year, draft again next year, hail mary offer for Reid the year after is the plan.

I know this is our trade, draft discussion thread - but I read this earlier this evening and it ties in which what we've been discussing about St Kilda as a "anti-destination" club with players not wanting to go there

If you're out of contract or looking to be on the move this off-season, are you going to a club with an uncertain on field future or one where you see the promise

Yeh, I'm looking at a few years time. Kid is already homesick so fingers crossed.

About the same time Cameron hangs up the boots and the famous no.5 guernsey is awaiting him.
I think it's inevitable that he goes, we just have to hope it's us that's the destination.

I mean, the guy said he was excited to play with Jamaine Jones the day after the draft.

Jamaine ****ing Jones. There would be Geelong supporters who forgot he even played here.

He's a Cats nuffy at heart.

Didn't they throw stupid money at Stengle, including a an extra year or two on the contract and he still declined them to re-sign

It sounds a similar situation to what North found themselves in a few years ago when they decided to cull the experience from their list, build something of a "war chest" and chase some big name targets but they then got turned down

There's no doubting that money is a factor in players decisions, but sometimes you need more then that as culture can be a bigger factor in those decisions
They also put a huge offer in front of Holmes and were the first to do so

I am fairly close with someone who works with the list manager team at St Kilda. They threw an insane amount of money at DeGoey when there was doubt on his future and are doing the same with LDU. I can't see how LDU would choose Geelong as the difference wpuld be huge
How much would you have to get paid to go to the saints though? Poor bloke has been through enough

We need inside bulls. Holmes & Dempsey will be special for 10 years. Add in Smith if you like.

Love a quality inside bull though. They're tough to find. A really good one.
Harley Reid?
Matt Rowell.
Would love him.
I suspect he and his best mate Noah Anderson will want to stay at GC a while yet.

I know this is our trade, draft discussion thread - but I read this earlier this evening and it ties in which what we've been discussing about St Kilda as a "anti-destination" club with players not wanting to go there

If you're out of contract or looking to be on the move this off-season, are you going to a club with an uncertain on field future or one where you see the promise

That article reminds me of the last time Hawthorn’s rebuild was prematurely lauded. Long way to go.

1723378200504.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am fairly close with someone who works with the list manager team at St Kilda. They threw an insane amount of money at DeGoey when there was doubt on his future and are doing the same with LDU. I can't see how LDU would choose Geelong as the difference wpuld be huge

I can believe that although i dont think LDU will leave north regardless so it probably doesnt matter.

Being Sydney based, I've got a few GWS connections.

Have heard that Callaghan is gettable this year, but it would take a bounty to pull it off I reckon, more than Smith would cost.

Haven't heard any clubs mentioned yet, just that the Giants would consider doing it.

Found it weird though given he signed last year, but who knows.

Maybe it's him? Although he's not a superstar, he's certainly got the talent to do it.

He was considering going last time in 2023 and they gave him overs $ to get him to sign and stay. I woulfnt be surprised if he goes but next year-they wont trade him this year when they are in the window and hes in contract.

While I was happy to see Darcy miss, if we play Freo in finals and they have the same team as yesterday + Darcy I would fancy our chances.

Pearce and Treacy missing were the big outs. Not Darcy, dude is cooked.
Darcy is actually the reason why we were doing so well for a while. We're literally a 5 goal better team when he plays, and our clearance numbers sky rocket. Like from 10th in the league with Jackson to 1st in the league with Darcy. Still the media loves to pretend that we can run with Jackson as number 1 ruck and Darcy is useless.

His issue isn't his output, it's his availability. In 4/5 of the losses we've had when leading in the 4th quarter, Darcy wasn't playing - mids get dominated. In the one vs Essendon he shouldn't have been playing. Was limping all week and didn't take part in a single training session.

A healthy Darcy with his form this season would've definitely been enough to get us over the line yesterday.

They also put a huge offer in front of Holmes and were the first to do so

I think it's very encouraging what Holmes has done ever since signing on. Have seen many times players get paid and are content.
He not only upped the standards, he's literally in B&F contention.

Was very worried he was gone. Kept hearing he was devastated not getting to play in the grand final.

I think it's inevitable that he goes, we just have to hope it's us that's the destination.

I mean, the guy said he was excited to play with Jamaine Jones the day after the draft.

Jamaine ****ing Jones. There would be Geelong supporters who forgot he even played here.

He's a Cats nuffy at heart.
Yeah that's hard core
He probably has an account on here!

Darcy is actually the reason why we were doing so well for a while. We're literally a 5 goal better team when he plays, and our clearance numbers sky rocket. Like from 10th in the league with Jackson to 1st in the league with Darcy. Still the media loves to pretend that we can run with Jackson as number 1 ruck and Darcy is useless.

His issue isn't his output, it's his availability. In 4/5 of the losses we've had when leading in the 4th quarter, Darcy wasn't playing - mids get dominated. In the one vs Essendon he shouldn't have been playing. Was limping all week and didn't take part in a single training session.

A healthy Darcy with his form this season would've definitely been enough to get us over the line yesterday.
I get that but who the hell would give a guy with his weight issues (which will affect his knee) and chronic knee and fitness issues a 6 year contract on big money? That is the definition of bad list management right there. Sinking a lot of cap in someone that by year 4 will be lucky to be playing 10 games a year at this rate. If any club knows how bad unavailable rucks can be its geelong.

I get that but who the hell would give a guy with his weight issues (which will affect his knee) and chronic knee and fitness issues a 6 year contract on big money? That is the definition of bad list management right there. Sinking a lot of cap in someone that by year 4 will be lucky to be playing 10 games a year at this rate. If any club knows how bad unavailable rucks can be its geelong.
Yeah it's one to watch I guess, but it's still way too early to make a call. Played pretty much full seasons in 2020, 2021, and 2022 and then missed the end of 2023 because of ankle surgery from an impact injury. That was right before he signed his extension. That doesn't really scream chronic injury issues at the time.

He badly needs to lose weight and get his off season right, but until then it's really only one year of unavailability, and even then he'll still have played over half the season. We're a seriously better team with him than without him until Jackson can find some consistency.

Add to that the fact that we clearly don't have salary cap issues (chasing Warner and Baker hard so we obviously have space for their massive contracts) AND have a really good draft hand and it's really not as big of an issue as people are making it out to be. We've got the majority of our young core (bar Brayshaw, but that's basically a certainty at this point) signed on until 2027+ so it's not like Darcy's contract has any impact on them.

Being Sydney based, I've got a few GWS connections.

Have heard that Callaghan is gettable this year, but it would take a bounty to pull it off I reckon, more than Smith would cost.

Haven't heard any clubs mentioned yet, just that the Giants would consider doing it.

Found it weird though given he signed last year, but who knows.

Maybe it's him? Although he's not a superstar, he's certainly got the talent to do it.
The only Sydney player I think we invest deeply in is Cadman.

And That work has started IMO.

Thx Jezza

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back