Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Is it just me or has Sam Power become the new Adrian Dodoro?
I reckon the AFL will send WB a "Please Explain" demanding to know why Power has brought Trade Week into disrepute by doing nothing

Help please, I just need to know if I'm reading the following correctly

Fremantle just paid 4 x first round picks for Shai Bolton & pick 14...

Edit addition - if trading 4 first round picks, surely they could have sent that Sydney for Chad Warner who is surely a better player

And this kinda seems like Fremantle's moment of - "Hey WCE, you think you're the only one who can complete crazy stupid trades... Watch this"

How do you get 4 first round picks?

They traded 10, 11 and 18 for Bolton, 14 and a Future 3rd.

The rough basis I worked out what the trade is, is 10 and 11, with 18 being upgraded to 14 + a Future 3rd. Average it out and Tigers end up with around picks 10 and 13. It's honestly not that bad. The 2024/2025 drafts respectively is just stating the Future 3rd being included. 10 and 13 is about right for a contracted Bolton, IMO.

Fremantle still have their Future 1st, and only had three 1sts which one came back along with a Future 3rd. Ended up similar to the Cameron trade where the two seconds cancelled out the late 1st, and we sent 13 and 15.

Freo GM said as much:

1729058229794.png

In this draft even messing the picks up they'll still land players
Eh, we said that in 2018.

Clubs still ended up with Luke Valente, Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Jackson Hately, Liam Stocker, Sam Sturt, & Riley Collier-Dawkins with first round picks.

You could argue guys like Luko, Duursma, & Caldwell while still AFL quality players (Caldwell especially, who had a really solid year) haven't lived up to the billing either.

Even with that hand, if the Tiges can get three 15 year quality players out of this draft then they've done extraordinary well.

I'd say the same if it was us with that hand too, to be totally honest.

The whole thing is a lottery, no matter how much work you've done.

Can someone explain the logic on why the Dogs wait till the last few minutes to relent? Waiting to the last minute to only relent does really make them look strong…more like petulant ...

They are leaving a lot of trades until the 11th hour. Just look ridiculous now.

Eh, we said that in 2018.

Clubs still ended up with Luke Valente, Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Jackson Hately, Liam Stocker, Sam Sturt, & Riley Collier-Dawkins with first round picks.

You could argue guys like Luko, Duursma, & Caldwell while still AFL quality players (Caldwell especially, who had a really solid year) haven't lived up to the billing either.

Even with that hand, if the Tiges can get three 15 year quality players out of this draft then they've done extraordinary well.

I'd say the same if it was us with that hand too, to be totally honest.

The whole thing is a lottery, no matter how much work you've done.
Yeah that's a few, there's hope

Can someone explain the logic on why the Dogs wait till the last few minutes to relent? Waiting to the last minute to only relent does really make them look strong…more like petulant ...
They're waiting for something to fall in the cats lap, and conversely because of that we (knowing any offer we put in gets rejected before deadline) likely haven't bothered to put in an offer we think would get accepted yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the AFL/TV rights have probably requested it

On some deals yes

But surely last minute signs for Parker, Daniel & Macrae isn't exactly must watch viewing unless you're a supporter of North or St Kilda

A few deals being held up by other deals right now...

The Dogs want Pick 25 by itself for Caleb Daniel. North will give up 25 but want something back.

If the Dogs can swindle 25, it would go some way to unlocking Matt Kennedy and/or Xavier O'Halloran.

What the Dogs get for Macrae (Pick 32 maybe?) will need to satisfy Carlton for Kennedy.

No movement on Barrass to Hawks or Smith to Geelong (yet).

They're waiting for something to fall in the cats lap, and conversely because of that we (knowing any offer we put in gets rejected before deadline) likely haven't bothered to put in an offer we think would get accepted yet.

I could understand that if we had players like Kneviit or Chlosey being linked to other clubs …sort of like Kemp…. but ist been like a library …. The Dogs could have tried to get us to up our offer by offering steak knives ..but. we have heard nothing..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back