List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a trend is Taz, Ziebell & Goldy wanting multi-year deals when blind Freddy can see they're on the slide in terms of age and performance. Add Brown in when there were doubts as to his longer term durability.

Wasn’t Boomer, Spud etc on one year deals for their last few years?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we have to give the list management team more than 2 off seasons to judge their work.

It'd be like taking your brownies out of the oven at the half way cooking point, tasting them, declaring they're shit and tossing them.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I’ve been told that he has lowballed Xerri and really p***** him off. When I say lowball, I mean 1 year extension and on a marginal wage increase. This is despite the club telling him he’s the #1 ruck moving forward.

Xerri has a lot of interest elsewhere & “apparently” Luff has stopped communication with his manager given they want to talk about trade options.

Goldy wants out.

A bit of a trend surfacing with Glenn…

Leave luff there much longer and we won’t have anyone over 190

I’ve been told that he has lowballed Xerri and really p***** him off. When I say lowball, I mean 1 year extension and on a marginal wage increase. This is despite the club telling him he’s the #1 ruck moving forward.

Xerri has a lot of interest elsewhere & “apparently” Luff has stopped communication with his manager given they want to talk about trade options.

Goldy wants out.

We have history there with mis management especially with Tazz & Brown. So it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I also had heard a whisper that Zurhaar and his manager werent at all too happy with the length of extension he was initially offered but they are still working through that.

No need to lay anything out - Luff may well 'do' the negotiations, but the negotiating position is determined by the management structure, so if Xerri has been 'low balled', it's not because Luff woke up one morning and decided I've got a bright idea, but because that's the club's position. Whether it's right or wrong is another question
Of course, however this mail highlighted Luff, hence my post. No doubt that his manager (Rawlings) is also at fault, however Brady wasn’t mentioned…

We have history there with mis management especially with Tazz & Brown. So it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I also had heard a whisper that Zurhaar and his manager werent at all too happy with the length of extension he was initially offered but they are still working through that.

But what is luff meant to do here. Neither player deserves a long contract.

In his shoes I'd let both go shopping - work out your market rate and we'll talk.

While we don't want to be ruffling feathers for no reason we also don't want to be handing out contracts like we did under Scott for Black, Wood, Atley etc

But what is luff meant to do here. Neither player deserves a long contract.

In his shoes I'd let both go shopping - work out your market rate and we'll talk.

While we don't want to be ruffling feathers for no reason we also don't want to be handing out contracts like we did under Scott for Black, Wood, Atley etc

But we’ve already done that…Giving Turner, Ziebell, Bonar ect 2+ year deals based on their output was downright deplorable. Meanwhile we’ve pushed a 50 goal a year forward (Brown), an ex Vice captain (Taz) and a 2 x top 3 BNF (Dumont) out the door.

You have to get these sorts of things right, and over the last two years we haven’t even come close and now the balance of our list is completely ****ed. That falls on Luff.

Goldy wants out.

Always striked me as someone who really doesn't want to overpay players to the point of losing out on trading some in and others to rival clubs.

Standard caveats apply (hope I’m wrong, I’m going early, nothing against the kid etc.), but drafting Will Phillips at #3 ahead of Logan McDonald (amongst others) has the potential to go down as the biggest draft blunder in the history of the North Melbourne Football Club.

If we drafted McDonald we would’ve had 20 or so games into him and we would be crystal clear on our key forward situation for the next ~10 years.

Instead we’ve gone with Phillips who is the complete opposite of what a stud midfielder in the modern game is (big, tall and athletic) and looking like surplus to requirements.

Fingers crossed, but I don’t think history will look upon that decision favourably.
I've heard this before but it sounded like we were deciding between Phillips and Hollands.

It’s actually amazing this hasn’t received enough attention thus far but the state of our list is a cooked as I’ve ever seen it.

I’m trying to find out who our tried and true AFL level key position players are on the list, or the ones with the potential to be. I have left those drafted as ruckmen out which means Edwards, CCJ, Xerri and Goldi don’t count.

What it leaves us with is McKay, Larkey, and Comben whose played 1 AFL game and has been riddled with injuries since being drafted. That’s it. Wtf has happened??
Walker isn’t AFL quality so spare me the argument on him and Corr isn’t a key position either but is being asked to be.
So it’s 3. ****ing 3.

The loss of Tarrant, Brown and Majak has been brutal because we have not replaced or attempted to replace either of them unless you call Edwards a forward (he’s not). For mine looking back over these list management decisions, I don’t disagree with moving these players on for the sake of a rebuild but ****ing replace them with like for like footballers you clueless ****s.

Anyone who genuinely believes that McGuiness is going to make it as a key position footballer because Luff thinks so needs to be slapped. A cat B rookie who weighs 70 kilos is McKays replacement. **** me

It really is just shit what has
1) been allowed to happen
2) been ticked off by the club

So, tell me again why this rebuild will work.

I genuinely believe that Luff and Brady are donkeys and need to prove through some genetic testing that their chromosomes say otherwise.

I genuinely believe that Luff and Brady are donkeys and need to prove through some genetic testing that their chromosomes say otherwise.

Well most on here have Noble in the crosshairs.

Easy target.

He is certainty a massive question mark, but you've hit exactly who really are our problem people that have got us into this disaster.

Well most on here have Noble in the crosshairs.

Easy target.

He is certainty a massive question mark, but you've hit exactly who really are our problem people that have got us into this disaster.
I’d like to think that list balance is one of the KPI’s or non-negotiables that needs to be set in stone so as to not neglect the football program from two important areas. Development and winning.
How can we only have 1 key position footballer developing in the VFL and how we can believe this will translate to wins is beyond me. It just doesn’t make sense.

My opinion since October last year and maybe even the previous off season right up until now is that the board gave the rebuild the tick of approval which means gut the list and no long term contracts for older players. Now previously when contending older players will go for the 1 year deals. Finals is the lure that keeps them engaged. But when you are losing consistently and the club is on record as saying we’re going through a rebuild and that this is the direction we’re taking, those conversations become more difficult.

Higgins, Brown, Tarrant, Goldi are well within their rights to think about their lives post football considering their age. On the other hand all were required footballers due to the magnitude of the cull that took place around them and as seen ended up including them. They needed to stay to help or as I mentioned above be replaced like for like, not by Josh ****ing Walker.

The white flag was raised on season 2022 before it even begun and Luff and Brady just expected the club to wear it. Being this uncompetitive does nothing for a rebuild and they have got it so wrong. So so wrong. The mess we find ourselves in is no one but the clubs fault and it scares the shit out of me that we are all expected to believe that they will lead us out. We’re literally trusting a process driven by zero historical data it actually works in its current form and one that is supported by zero experience except for a head coach with zero game day experience and who was a full time administrator on their way to becoming a CEO.

We are so in deep shit in theory and it’s playing out that way in practice.

Last edited:
It’s actually amazing this hasn’t received enough attention thus far but the state of our list is a cooked as I’ve ever seen it.

I’m trying to find out who our tried and true AFL level key position players are on the list, or the ones with the potential to be. I have left those drafted as ruckmen out which means Edwards, CCJ, Xerri and Goldi don’t count.

What it leaves us with is McKay, Larkey, and Comben whose played 1 AFL game and has been riddled with injuries since being drafted. That’s it. Wtf has happened??
Walker isn’t AFL quality so spare me the argument on him and Corr isn’t a key position either but is being asked to be.
So it’s 3. ******* 3.

The loss of Tarrant, Brown and Majak has been brutal because we have not replaced or attempted to replace either of them unless you call Edwards a forward (he’s not). For mine looking back over these list management decisions, I don’t disagree with moving these players on for the sake of a rebuild but ******* replace them with like for like footballers you clueless fu**s.

Anyone who genuinely believes that McGuiness is going to make it as a key position footballer because Luff thinks so needs to be slapped. A cat B rookie who weighs 70 kilos is McKays replacement. fu** me

It really is just shit what has
1) been allowed to happen
2) been ticked off by the club

So, tell me again why this rebuild will work.

I think what you touch on here is something I am most worried about. Our strategy of building out the midfield first is ok, however it's common knowledge that key position players take the most time to develop. So now we've got on paper an astonishingly high potential midfield, with absolutely nothing around it.

Say we spend the next 3 years picking the eyes out of the best key position players in the draft. Then say the average development time for a key position player is 5 years. You're looking at 5-8 years until that crop is ready (if we get all the picks right). By then we're probably going to have an aging midfield and potentially the start of another list re-set (who knows).

Of course, all this is solved tomorrow if we manage to convince Sicily, May and Harry McKay to come across instead of having to draft them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think what you touch on here is something I am most worried about. Our strategy of building out the midfield first is ok, however it's common knowledge that key position players take the most time to develop. So now we've got on paper an astonishingly high potential midfield, with absolutely nothing around it.

Say we spend the next 3 years picking the eyes out of the best key position players in the draft. Then say the average development time for a key position player is 5 years. You're looking at 5-8 years until that crop is ready (if we get all the picks right). By then we're probably going to have an aging midfield and potentially the start of another list re-set (who knows).

Of course, all this is solved tomorrow if we manage to convince Sicily, May and Harry McKay to come across instead of having to draft them...
It 100% is going to be reliant upon trades and free agency.
May, Lever, Brown we’re all drafted or free agents.
What they paid for them in total was considerable and took finesse and conviction and it scares me that we will **** this up. It’s a critical blueprint that requires everything to go right and then some.

Last edited:
If 100% is going to be reliant upon trades and free agency.
May, Lever, Brown we’re all drafted or free agents.
What they paid for them in total was considerable and took finesse and conviction and it scares me that we will fu** this up. It’s a critical blueprint that requires everything to go right and then some.
It also requires us to not be such a basket case as to deter anyone from coming across. The way we've allegedly handled negotiations and delistings with some of our players, plus the latest leak about the coach and the group, wouldn't exactly scream to a manager "send your star player to that environment."

Melbourne gets free agents, even before the flag, because it's well run and an all round good and fun place to be.

This is the guy people should be targeting on why are being humiliated on field.

I have no faith in our list management whatsoever.

Last edited:
He should be sacked on Monday.

The is one of the worst lists in the history of the VFL / AFL.

At least Fitzroy had an excuse for a poor list at the moment end, what’s this guys excuse?

McGuinness didn't grow magically taller overnight to become a gun ruckman instead of just a KPD to cover Tarrant? : (

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Glenn Luff - Has resigned as list manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Back