Good, Bad and Ugly- Finals Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching the replay, Thommo's snap in the second quarter... Touched by LRT on the line - anybody else pretty sure it was over the line already?
Looked like the umpire got the call right when I saw it live (including the side-on replay).

Just watching the replay, Thommo's snap in the second quarter... Touched by LRT on the line - anybody else pretty sure it was over the line already?

Just watched this - it wasn't called touched. It bounced the wrong side of the post and was correctly called a behind.

Apologies if someone has already posted on this.

Is it just me, or is Sydney's release from a stoppage - handball out the back, then a chain of three or four handballs to release a runner or kicker - the same strategy that Neil Craig was much criticized for?

Correct weight E.C.

Sando moved Brodie Smith on him in the second half. Basically Goodes plays wherever he likes. When he moved from the midfield to the forward line we tended to lose him. He would often charge forward hoping that Sydney would get a turnover and when that happened we couldn't catch him

so maybe we should have backed ourselves in and put an attacking player on him to expose his chipscabbing the other way?

Bad luck guys. It's never an easy task going to Adelaide to play a game of footy against your lot. I'm sure the positives to the finals campaign is that Sando is fast tracking the younger players experience and they've no doubt got a taste for finals football and they'll want more of it next year. Sorry to see Talia go down and congrats to him on the Rising Star award as well. Best of luck against Fremantle.

Good
Mackay --- was the only one that wanted to take the game on.
Smith ---- Great effort and at least most times looks to get ball on.
Reilly -- Great marks and turnovers down but like to see create more drive
Rutten -- Best game --But Benny why do you need to take so long to move ball on ,so please look forward first.
Doughty -- Tried hard and did well but those turnovers for most experienced player.
Sloane -- worked hard
Thommo -- Worked guts out but think opposition dont worry if you get 25+ as along with turnovers dont hurt them with carry or kick.
Crowd -- tried to keep up support with little to cheer about.
On reflection with playing so bad the team at least hung in there with effort as could have got very ugly
Walker not a good day with dropped marks but only one up forward with any presence .
Bad
Coaching --- from selecting a safe team to poor match ups to very poor forward structure and movement etc etc. Been dream run for you Sando and way turned club around fantastic but sorry today like many others you have a way to go yet.
Danger -- Media etc getting ahead of themselves and putting too much on you as trying too hard and not playing smart or to our advantage . Look at Goodes in how to have major impact or Ablett last week .
Leave VB as captain as Danger does not need to carry any more weight yet.
Vince ---- you amazing talented lazy wasted ----
Tippett -- Very poor but fwd structure and entry was crap.
Porps --- We all love Porps but not really up to it any more but another tall up there will help and then can become more of leading etc player.
Stiffy --- Cant play defence as gets beaten 1 on 1 and thats why really a liability up forward as just does not get the ball.
Callinan -- Need a crumber finisher but must find ball more often another tall will help
Petrenko --- Love his endevour but sorry is a liability up forward as does not get ball or have much ability to
actually kick a goal. Sorry fact is at elite level skills there .
Douglas -- did ok especially 1st half but always going to stuff up things.
Ugly
Talia -- injury
Non umpiring of scragging in ruck and Tippett and Walker fwd.
Reality we are not as good as results showed

I still think Petrenkos best position is as a backman. He doesn't have the game to be a quality small forward. As much as you like the defensive small forward role they still need to apply at least a bit towards the scoreboard. Back pocket or bust for Pets IMO
Agree. Rhyce Shaw got heaps of it anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuff said

Spot on.

We can gnash teeth all day about 100 different things but at the end of the day we actually created a number of good goal scoring chances. Of the 11 behinds, 7 were set shots! And not impossible boundary shots, they were prettt straightforward.

Then mckay runs in to open goal from 20 and misses.

There was plenty of good stuff today but ruined by inexcusable goal kicking.

I'll add another thing that has been a major problem all year, and killed us again today - getting sucked into the ball carrier.

So many times, all of our players would swarm to the guy with the footy or a stoppage area, Sydney would flick it out over the top, and run away with it.

Been happening all year.

And our lack of movement through the middle to give options and run in support was hugely disappointing.

Our previous outside structure and movement is one area that has disappeared this year.

Spot on.

We can gnash teeth all day about 100 different things but at the end of the day we actually created a number of good goal scoring chances. Of the 11 behinds, 7 were set shots! And not impossible boundary shots, they were prettt straightforward.

Then mckay runs in to open goal from 20 and misses.

There was plenty of good stuff today but ruined by inexcusable goal kicking.
Exactly. It is the most important piece of analysis from the game. Get the goalkicking right next week and I have no doubt we will win.

Exactly. It is the most important piece of analysis from the game. Get the goalkicking right next week and I have no doubt we will win.

Yeah but you'd also back Gina Rinehart in to beat Usain Bolt over 100 meters if you supported her. Some people have nothing but unbelievable pessimism; you on the other hand have nothing but unbelievable optimism and blind faith that the AFC do nothing wrong and will always come up trumps.

We all see different aspects of a game and with this one I was very disappointed with Thommo's sloppy hands in the first quarter when we needed the experienced players to set some sort of tone to our game.

That minor point said, Sydney towelled us up structurally and man-to-man all over the ground.

Why did we persist bombing deep inside 50 when time and again our forwards were out near the arc? Whydon't experienced backmen like Truck take the FIRST option presented when coming out of defence? Our attack from halfback is too often slow, timid and predictable and allows teams like Sydney to blanket our movement.
We tried hard but Sydney 'wore us like a glove' all day.

Yeah but you'd also back Gina Rinehart in to beat Usain Bolt over 100 meters if you supported her. Some people have nothing but unbelievable pessimism; you on the other hand have nothing but unbelievable optimism and blind faith that the AFC do nothing wrong and will always come up trumps.
Don't know what all the fuss is about

1-7 from set shots sums it up. The loss is not good but plenty of up.

Here's the key stat. Marks i50 to total i50s ratio;
Crows 5/59
Swans 21/37

Not sure if this has been corrected yet but this stat is wrong. According to the official AFL stats the ratio is actually:

Crows 6/59
Swans 7/37

The 5AA flogs got confused about this as that stat they were talking about was the 21 marks Sydney took inside OUR 50, i.e defensive marks. Which is pretty damming all the same.

Not sure if serious. Only changes should be forced ones.
Serious, I had eye surgery on Thursday, sat 2 and a half days in a dark room to recover so I could go and they serve up that . If I don't see Sando make real change, i think I'll make up the lost time with my family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good, Bad and Ugly- Finals Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back