Good, Bad and Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

For those sticking it to Reilly for that handpass - please watch the replay. He was clearly dragged as he handpassed, so the ball ended up going backwards to the GWS player instead of to the Crows player had the trajectory not been changed.
I've just watched it and being dragged didn't impact on his handball, he was tackled at the waist but he got the handball away before he was dragged to the ground.

I've just watched it and being dragged didn't impact on his handball, he was tackled at the waist but he got the handball away before he was dragged to the ground.

Is that the one where Shaw dropped the ball, from the handball, and Chad Cornes snapped a goal?

Is that the one where Shaw dropped the ball, from the handball, and Chad Cornes snapped a goal?
No that was in the third qtr.

Look my crack at Reilly was a joke, but when Jenny comes on and tries to excuse the error then its only fair to critique it.

No that was in the third qtr.

Look my crack at Reilly was a joke, but when Jenny comes on and tries to excuse the error then its only fair to critique it.

Oh I knew it was a joke just couldn't pinpoint the mistake.

FWIW I think the only bad was our slow start which we've had since the bye. Really needs to be addressed.

I think we did what a top 4 team should do. I must admit at half time I was thinking a 5-7 goal win was going to play out considering Hendos and Martin's injuries plus lack of structure in our forward line, but as we all know we pulled it together. To me we are now a deserved top 4 side. Gave GWS the spanking others have done all season without the best team on the park.

After watching West Coast yesterday I am very confident we can knock them over but its far from in the bag. Its funny that Sydney is our B*tch and gave WC a pantsing yet we have been WC B*tches for some time. Hope that changes this Saturday.

That handball was from van Berlo - was slightly behind Shaw. Not the best handball but Shaw probably should have gathered it anyway - would apportion the blame 50-50. Anyway, I didn't come on here to criticise players' individual mistakes:

Good:
We held serve and did so with some style in the end. GWS hadn't really been belted at Skoda before yesterday and they came out to play, we were quite clinical and played reasonably well in the end.
Me changing from Hendo to Lynch at the last minute in the goalkicker game.

Bad:
A couple of injuries, but it's not like Hendo and Martin are irreplaceable. We have more waiting to come back in than going out this week.
Lynch and Leeroy probably didn't put their best feet forward.

Ugly:
That extra footy on the field for Porps' goal in the last quarter. Very dangerous, lucky Danger didn't step on it.

Good:

Reilly, thommo, wright, jacobs, callinan, mackay

porps played another good game. Starting to play consistently well.

Shaw was solid. Neat kicking.

Smith was good in the second half. Think he will improve a great deal as he gains confidence.

Vince finding form

GWS tackling for young kids. gee they look strong

Bad:

Alex

Really?
These are the stats from some of our midfielders:

Against the bottom side. Overall we dominated possession but some of our midfielders didn't. Sometimes that happens but against better quality opposition we will lose if we produce those numbers.

Not saying a couple of our midfielders couldnt have done a bit better but two things to remember...

1. We are a low possession side, all things being equal (like a game being close) we should routinely end up with lower disposals than most other teams cos of our style.

2. Skoda is a small ground, that means its less open and free flowing and more contests and it doesnt take as many possessions to get from A (fullback or center) to B (goals!)

Not saying a couple of our midfielders couldnt have done a bit better but two things to remember...

1. We are a low possession side, all things being equal (like a game being close) we should routinely end up with lower disposals than most other teams cos of our style.

2. Skoda is a small ground, that means its less open and free flowing and more contests and it doesnt take as many possessions to get from A (fullback or center) to B (goals!)

This is a very good point. Our stats will always be a bit misleading because we play a very different brand of football to virtually every other team in the comp. Our style of game means that we will often have low possession, tackling and DE numbers. But that doesn't mean that we are not getting the ball, tackling effectively, or using it well.

We eternally seem to be losing that Fox Footy "Recipe for Success", but winning games. I know which one I'd rather...

The club will be analysing what they thought was good and what wasn't and if it wasn't, to what degree.

This is true, clubs are known to analyze all aspects of the game - good, bad and indifferent. However, you know what else is true Macca23, after games where teams lost by 119 points, clubs are also prone to just wipe the slate clean and say, lets just forget about that performance and move on to next week. Lets put it down as an aberration. You've never heard a club make that statement? The point I'm making, not every game requires a total in depth analysis. That's why, IMO we didn't or don't need to worry about about the bad or the ugly this week.

While appreciating your comment about the constant negativity of some, surely it follows that we supporters will have our own opinion on the good and bad of every game.

There are approx. 30 active threads on the first page of this board, why do you need one more to discuss the negative aspects of the game and club after a 119 point victory.

FFS, after winning by 119 point why do we need to read about Chris Knights being a shit player, Richard Douglas falling over, Brent Reilly's errant handballs, or any other negative crap that goes on. One week, one ****ing week where we ahve won by 119 we would give it a miss. But no, not on this bloody board.

Unrelated question: Were you Crows98 in a previous life??

No, as far as I know that was Andrew Jarman alias on the MMM rush hour great mate debate? wasn't it.

Why do you ask?

I can categorically say, I am not and have never been an alias of Crows98.

FFS, after winning by 119 point why do we need to read about Chris Knights being a shit player, Richard Douglas falling over, Brent Reilly's errant handballs, or any other negative crap that goes on. One week, one ******* week where we ahve won by 119 we would give it a miss. But no, not on this bloody board.
There always needs to be a bad,ugly.Unless you have just won the flag.You always need to improve and learn by the mistakes.

say your piece
to express your opinion about something, especially something that you do not like I don't feel there's anything more I can add now - I've said my piece.
See also: piece, say
Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd ed. Copyright © Cambridge University Press 2006. Reproduced with permission.

Anyone seen that Herman comic?

Some reporter with a microphone is interviewing people on the street. Asks Herman, Sir, what does peace mean to you?

Herman: (looks confused) Umm... small... round... green vegetables

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true, clubs are known to analyze all aspects of the game - good, bad and indifferent. However, you know what else is true Macca23, after games where teams lost by 119 points, clubs are also prone to just wipe the slate clean and say, lets just forget about that performance and move on to next week. Lets put it down as an aberration. You've never heard a club make that statement? The point I'm making, not every game requires a total in depth analysis. That's why, IMO we didn't or don't need to worry about about the bad or the ugly this week.
What you've actually said there is that there shouldn't have been a good, bad or ugly this week given that we're wiping the slate clean and it was an aberration.

This is a very good point. Our stats will always be a bit misleading because we play a very different brand of football to virtually every other team in the comp. Our style of game means that we will often have low possession, tackling and DE numbers. But that doesn't mean that we are not getting the ball, tackling effectively, or using it well.

We eternally seem to be losing that Fox Footy "Recipe for Success", but winning games. I know which one I'd rather...

Really interesting post.

Sheer efficiency has been a hallmark of a number of our really good wins this year. The Sydney game springs to mind.

I'd love to see the stats on disposals per goal, kick to handball ratio and scores per inside 50 compared to last year.

I'd love to see the stats on the number of times we've kicked down the line and created a stoppage - with confidence in our ability to win the contested ball - instead of "switching," or trying to fabricate run and open space when there just isn't any.

I'd love to see the stats on how many times we've kicked the ball from a stoppage, instead of going by hand. And then by hand. And then by hand again.

I'd love to see the stats on how many people want Craigy back.

For the Reilly handball critiquers and in the spirit of reviewiing good bad and the ugly in a game we won by 119 points in which most players made few mistakes. What led to the Reilly handball, whos error was he mopping up.

Seriously take a good hard look, I reckon some on this board take great delight in the mistakes some of our players make yet never seem to mention others glaring howlers.

Really interesting post.

Sheer efficiency has been a hallmark of a number of our really good wins this year. The Sydney game springs to mind.

I'd love to see the stats on disposals per goal, kick to handball ratio and scores per inside 50 compared to last year.

I'd love to see the stats on the number of times we've kicked down the line and created a stoppage - with confidence in our ability to win the contested ball - instead of "switching," or trying to fabricate run and open space when there just isn't any.

I'd love to see the stats on how many times we've kicked the ball from a stoppage, instead of going by hand. And then by hand. And then by hand again.

I'd love to see the stats on how many people want Craigy back.

Don't mean to toot my own horn, but did anyone see Sando on the couch, and the stats comparison?

A Few Good Men?

For the Reilly handball critiquers and in the spirit of reviewiing good bad and the ugly in a game we won by 119 points in which most players made few mistakes. What led to the Reilly handball, whos error was he mopping up.

Seriously take a good hard look, I reckon some on this board take great delight in the mistakes some of our players make yet never seem to mention others glaring howlers.

Reilly was terrific on Sunday, one errant handball while being slung shouldnt count against him at all. Those who delight in such things can't really call themselves fans.

Don't mean to toot my own horn, but did anyone see Sando on the couch, and the stats comparison?

A Few Good Men?

Yep we score a goal 30% of the time we enter the 50. Number one in the AFL. Compared to 23% under Neil last year. Sando also mentioned how we are a contested ball side, a low possession side and move the ball north-south. He also said it is designed to win finals. Great to watch as well i reckon :thumbsu:

Not really a revelation though, it's been obvious that's how we're trying to play all year.

It's how some of us wanted us to play last year.... And the year before, and the year before......

Trying to explain on this board that 250 handballs a game from stoppages was not a sound premise for winning finals (or any type of sustainable football, really) was like trying to explain the Kama Sutra to a Catholic priest.

There's been some dumb football played over the years.... Few dumber than us.

Yep we score a goal 30% of the time we enter the 50. Number one in the AFL. Compared to 23% under Neil last year. Sando also mentioned how we are a contested ball side, a low possession side and move the ball north-south. He also said it is designed to win finals. Great to watch as well i reckon :thumbsu:
Agreed, I have a mate who is a Power fan who admitted to me today he enjoys watching the Crows this year because of the way we are playing. That and we finally have a coach who is not a knob. I wasn't sure which was the better compliment.

Actually I do, it's the game style.

Ahhh, the "Recipe for Success"

Haha in the Richmond game I got really excited because they showed the recipe for success during the 3rd quarter and we were losing all 3. I thought we might have been one of the 0.1864983104% or whatever it is that wins despite losing those 3 stats. But we ended up winning contested possessions by 2, so the recipe for success became irrelevant. Well, more irrelevant than usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good, Bad and Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back