Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Melbourne, R15 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:

- We won, Melbourne put in a good 4Q effort and are a very decent team at the G they beat the Giants and pushed North/Hawks further than they did us.
- B.Crouch found some form, our inside mids were ok.
- Our forward line had good stats, however Betts, Jenkins, McGovern and Cameron could have done far better.

Bad:

- Lever was absolutely diabolically bad, it was a drop worthy performance not that he will or should be.
- Turnovers, we gave them 8+ goals from simple mistakes.
- Umpiring, missed throws, bad 'holding' frees and the Hartigan rushed behind call....

Smith - everything he touched turned to shit. He's been very inconsistent this year; we need to consider dropping him to see if he can get his mojo back.

Glad its not just me seeing this, thought I was going a little crazy / being harsh.

I was considering moving him into the midfield, but even then I don't think that will help. He's finding the ball, but he just seems very rushed with his decision and his skill shave been poor or late.

I honestly think he needs to be dropped and when he comes back he should be playing midfield.

He looks lost playing as the 7th defender and it's not helping his cause.

Tackle count was good. Especially given it was not a wet game.

The count is good, but we are still poor tacklers letting the arms be free. Either tackling around the middle not even trapping the arms, or going too high above the elbows giving them enough freedom to fire a pass. Need to sort that shit out quick smart.

Feel Brad's game was an odd one. Lot of it, did some good things, and also some pretty bad things.
Ditto Tex. Ditto Cheney. Ditto Eddie
Jenkins. A few good things - couple good marks, and good in the ruck, but geez, reminded us why he was frustrating prior to this season

Bad:
Lever's worst game in his career.
Smith got a lot of metres, but not good.
Not Sauce's best.

Good:
Douglas
Laird
Walker working up the ground helped out big time
Composure when the game was on the line in the third and last quarter.
Thommos 100th game in a row
We got the job done
Melbourne's pressure

Bad:
Field Kicking
Decision Making
Both of the above linked together

Ugly:

Umpiring kept Melbourne in the game at crucial stages. Ray Chamberpot, you are a maggot!!

Got the win - move on.

Tex was huge.
Laird is just amazing.
Hartigan was great.
Loved Lyons' game.
Lynch continues to deliver.
Atkins can play.
Cameron is going to be something.

Mentions to Brown, Talia and Cheney in the back-line. Had both really good moments, and some to forget.
Thought Smith was better defensively, worse offensively.
Douglas was in the game.
Betts is always dangerous.
Sloane fought on, as did Thommo and Jacobs.

Brad will be better for the run.
Jake will continue to learn.
McGovern is an asset.

Jenkins struggled, and Mackay was inconsistent.

Don't know who I left off - they were either average good or I've blocked them out :)

<EDIT> Matt Crouch, deserves a tick.

The good is we are firmly in the 8, and with Carlton at the G next week and Collingwood at AO in the coming weeks we should be able to lock ourselves in there !!

Good - got on early in the week for a -21.5 line.

Real good win imo - away from home against good opposition.

Jakes worst game for the club. Rub that one out and start again next week

Good
- Texan with 4 quarter game. Kicked the ball as well as he has all year.
- 70% of what Charlie does is amazing
- Lynch just keeps chugging on
- Laird's marking was immense, best game since he's come back in.
- Lyons did some really nice thing. Disposal was average at times, but his marking and hands were excellent.
- Brad's disposal was iffy, but I thought that was his best game of the year. 7 clearances, 9 tackles.
- Atkins, Mackay, MCrouch, Douglas, Jacobs, Talia, Betts all servicable without being spectacular
- Our pressure won us the game. Even when we were playing poorly in the second, our effort and tackling was as good as it has been all year
- We outplayed them for 3/4 quarters. Just good to get a win, Melbourne aren't easybeats any more
- McGovern's contested marking is insane
- Defenders stood up late, though were a bit out of sorts in the first half
- 10-4 after that start to the year. 5th!

Bad
- 30% of what Charlie does is shocking. If he can just learn to finish off his good work... Same with McGovern
- Lever reeeeeeally needs to work on his 1v1 ability. Gave away some dumb free kicks
- Jenkins just could not take a clean mark
- Brown's worst game for 3 years, though he stood up late
- I kind of wonder if we're carrying one too many inside mids? When they got the clearance ascendancy in the second, we just looked slooooooooooow

Ugly
- Disposal was shocking at times, especially in the 2nd quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad its not just me seeing this, thought I was going a little crazy / being harsh.

I was considering moving him into the midfield, but even then I don't think that will help. He's finding the ball, but he just seems very rushed with his decision and his skill shave been poor or late.

I honestly think he needs to be dropped and when he comes back he should be playing midfield.

There was a play in the fourth where he came streaming off half back and called for the ball with 3 Demons in front of him. He received the handball and was immediately tackled...

Also, Lever's kicking was awful. Worse than Talia's has ever been.

Good:
Douglas
Composure when the game was on the line in the third and last quarter.
Thommos 100th game in a row
We got the job done
Melbourne's pressure

Bad:
Field Kicking
Decision Making
Both of the above linked together

Ugly:

Umpiring kept Melbourne in the game at crucial stages. Ray Chamberpot, you are a maggot!!
Wasn't Thommo a late out a couple of weeks ago?

Is Doedee ready for a shot?

Smith's kicking has been very poor for 12 months now. It just doesn't spin well off his boot these days.

If the midfilders don't work hard enought to apply pressure, the defenders will have a mare.

Brad Crouch is starting to hit some good form, a quarter hear, a half there but his form is heading in a very good direction.

Rory laird - what a champion. Love him. No homo

JJ - catch the bloody ball you useless money grabbing flog. Stop trying to lay blame on Mark Ricciuto to decrease your asking figure on your contract, your poor firm is doing that all by itself.

We got the job done.

Good
Tex - led from the front.
Sloane - hard at it again. Love what he provides.
Brouch - his 3rd quarter was outstanding. A beast both offensively and defensively when firing.
Lyons - composed, good goal nous. Decent game.
Atkins - apart from one blunder in the first quarter, another great game from him. Will be one of the better outside players the club has ever had.
Cameron - this kid, oh my god
Laird - brilliant. Courageous, good disposal IMO, AA-standard game
McGovern - did some nice things, kicked a couple
Cheney - thought he was brilliant. Defensively great, offensively provides enough.
Betts - popped up with three goals, gotta love him
Douglas - will take three from him any day
Lynch - provided a lot through the forward half, positions himself so well
Got the 4 points
Forget Lever, Sauce is our new candyman :hearts:

Bad
Lever - just wasn't his day.
JJ's marking - had a bad case of the butterfingers for the most part, hope it changes. Rest of his game was okay.
Didn't love Thommo's game, Mackay was invisible at times
Just don't know what to think of Smith. His form this year says to me he's going to become the new Mackay by 2019
Just an ugly game overall, sloppy errors from both sides

Good teams find a way to win when playing like shit.

Bad, the deliberate rushed behind against Hartigan, shades of #freekickhawthorn
Would have been interesting if we were less than a goal up. Justice prevailed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad/Ugly v Melbourne, R15 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back