Review Good/Bad/Ugly vs Hawthorn and their Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The holding the ball against I Smith that would've handed us a routine set shot after the siren quite simply wasn't paid all night. I've got no problem with that call.

I actually this probably wasn't holding the ball at the time but that it as close, however after watching the replay, he takes a step towards Sloane and allows himself to get tackled, he had prior opportunity but he didn't get rid of it because he knew it could be a turnover, and then once tackled he made absolutely no attempt to get rid of the ball. Take into account the ridiculous call against Douglas a few minutes earlier and this was deadset holding the ball everyday of the week... except on Fridays I guess.

Blame the umps if you want. Fact is we couldn't seal the deal, again.

At least the top 4 rubbish can be put to bed now, we are top 8 at best, can't beat an undermanned Hawthorn now won't be winning finals in the future.
What? You took it right up to the Hawks on the MCG and should have won besides some bad umpiring decisions and a few missed chances. Undermaned? They had 2 guys from there best 22 out of the side as far as im concerned. I think top 4 is a big chance and deep September action.

I'd rather we continue to back ourselves rather than go back to that haphazard defensive mindset we've shown for so long.

Once it clicks it will redefine afl. I'm with Sanders in thinking Pyke is a bit of a Sauvant. No ordinary coach takes our team from last year and gets them moving the ball like globetrotters at never seen before brain speed within one pre-season.

Yeah I think when it all clicks, the better option is the scramble. In the long run this will work out more often than not. Pyke must have a direction that the rush behind is the absolute last option.

One thing I love about our backline is that I always feel we will get the ball out if a clean mark or open goal does not happen. Love watching the spoil, then chain of handballs and the kick or run out of the 50.

I sink the boot into Mackay as much as the next guy but Mackay was good tonight. Take off the blinkers. 23 touches and more tackles than any other crows player on the ground. If you're unhappy with that performance then he may as well retire right now as he'll never please you. I thought he was excellent.

Smith had a poor night but he has too many weapons not to be given the opportunity to improve. Cheney is a bloke who just plays to the maximum of his capabilities week in week out and his capabilities are just a touch off being a solid AFL footballer in nearly every aspect. Just too short, just too slow, decision making is just a touch off and disposal is just not quite there. He's an absolute battler and will likely play next week but we need to be honest with ourselves about our deficiencies if we're to improve.

This

Unlucky guys, you guys deserved the win. Which is not any comfort, I'm sure, but I reckon you guys will get a lot of confidence out of that. That game could have gone either way.

You may have lost the game, but you lost yourselves no fans tonight. Take that from someone who supports a team that couldn't do what you did tonight to the Hawks and we made the grand final last year.

Best of luck for the rest of the year.

Good - Players should be utterly fired up for next week.

Bad -

Defence. Terrible really. Lever, Cheney, Laird, Brown (at times) were not good enough. Talia was good, Hartigan OK.

Mackay stunk it up early, then was ok - best when he is not in the centre clearances.

A constant bug bear of mine - for years now, the Crows assume a ball is going out of bounds and stop, only for the opponent to keep it in and get it to a runner/ someone free. Happened again in the last minute.

Other Good

The must be some I just haven't got the heart to think of any at the moment

What? You took it right up to the Hawks on the MCG and should have won besides some bad umpiring decisions and a few missed chances. Undermaned? They had 2 guys from there best 22 out of the side as far as im concerned. I think top 4 is a big chance and deep September action.
So that post was 25 minutes ago.

I'm now about beating Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenny, we've been doing this dance for 10 years.

Your optimism didn't lead to any more success than my pessimism. Just worst predictive skill.

Typically I'd agree. I've seen the same sh*t you have. This feels different though. This is a young team building, not an aging team clinging on.

Well this thread could get a bit lindy. There was loads of good, some ****ing good actually, there was some bad and there was loads of ugly.......

Then there was M Nicholls

i went to the soccer but spent most my night watching the game on the phone and only saw the last 5 minutes on the telly:mad:

i cant be ****ed watching it now.

Can someone actually do a good, bad and ugly?

Typically I'd agree. I've seen the same sh*t you have. This feels different though. This is a young team building, not an aging team clinging on.

I don't think the profile matters if the mental hurdles remain the same.

We had the world by the balls, and we couldn't hack the pressure. That bodes terribly.

Jenny, we've been doing this dance for 10 years.

Your optimism didn't lead to any more success than my pessimism. Just worst predictive skill.

Dude, I the King of negative, but you just don't seem to do footy all that well.

Was far more convinced in Walshes first 6 games than any of Sando or Craig's tenure and Pyke just seems to have taken a solid foundation and pumped it full of juice.

Opinions need to be fluid or they just become arseholes.

Admit, I'm not a Dmack fanboy, but I've stuck up for him plenty this year and thought he was doing quite well I. His first 4 games and as such had considered myself a banwagoner.

I couldn't give a rats arse what the afl website chalks up as his stats. Tonight he looked like a child playing a mans game.

No

Good

Rated the games of Seedsman, Crouch and Atkins. Felt like Crouch set us up a lot with releasing handballs from half back and through the middle.
McGovern - just a beast. I want to see him in different roles also. Deep forward one out?
Pyke - feel like he deserves a bit of credit, we are clearly a far improved side with ball in hand to where we were 12 months ago. And we can seemingly play different game styles.

Bad

I actually didn't mind his inside work but Mackay should kick as little as possible. His slow, hanging kicks let the opposition back in when we are away too often.
Went back to Sando's bombing game plan as soon as the hawks upped the pressure.
Forgot this - in my opinion our defence needs to get better at killing the contest. Either getting the ball out of the danger zone/out of bounds/through for a behind. Instead we spoil back to the middle or just at the feet of the contest and get scored against as a result.

Ugly

It can't not be said - umpiring was disgraceful. If I was that bad at my job, I sure as hell wouldn't have one any more. Was that free against Crouch some rule he just made up on the spot?
The club needs to find some born winners or something who just know how to get the job done. We are so often so predictable in close finishes. 15 points up with 4 minutes left or whatever it was we should never lose from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back