Review Good/Bad/Ugly vs Hawthorn and their Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Really proud of the way we fought it out, and whilst I agree they were given a good run by Nicholls in particular, we made too many errors by foot when it counted. Most of these were unforced errors, the Smith to Seedsman kick, any of Laird's kicks - I counted 4 in a row in the 3rd quarter where he, under little or no pressure, either shanked his kick or hit up an opposition player. I don't wish to single out players, and I love Laird's endeavour, his intercept marking and all the other aspects of his game, but his kicking has often been poor. The forced errors I can live with - it's those where we're under little pressure that we need to fix. Oh, and when did Puopolo grow an extra leg FFS (swab him I say). We need someone like Saad from the Suns to close down blokes like him and Cyril - Browny is an honest player, as is Cheney, but God they always looked dangerous once it got out the back (similar to us I guess). Would love to get a crack at them again in the finals - minus Nicholls of course. I recall we hadn't beaten North for something like six games in a row before we beat them in the '98 granny (and that year we were similarly robbed in our match against them at the 'G' when Rehn got a howler against him late by one of umps who actually stated he was a North barracker!). Hopefully history repeats.

To stop the goal out the back you have to tighten up the defence up the ground and keep the ball in your half. Hawthorn did this well in the second half and our quick goals dried up. We failed to do this in two crucial moments and this exposed Cheney in a one on one with Pops. Cheney could have been smarter and rushed the point in one of them, but he didn't.

A few teams this year have decided to play their defence higher up the ground than others. I feel this is a result of the limited rotations as players can no longer do multiple repeat sprints to cover the ground they did last year. This makes the ground smaller and players use less energy and thus need less rotations.

Those quick goals are a result of two or three good movements of the ball that break that wall. There is little you can do to stop them in the traditional defensive zone of the ground.

Might do a compilation of some of the umpiring decisions if I have some free time. Would have to include any dodgy ones that we won too, none stood out but they tend not to when it's the team you support.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Could you do one of the Sydney game too? It will show that we got a ride from the umps at home at key stages.

Your boys played some very attractive footy last night and were very pleasing to watch as a neutral. A couple of the big moments didn't go your way like the poster from Walker and Hawthorn/Umpires managed to make the most of their big moments and eventually came out on top. I must admit I didn't know a lot about quite a few of your players but It seems like there isn't a shortage of talent. Will watch with interest for the rest of the year and hopefully the Crows or someone else can knock the Hawks out in the finals - so sick of those campaigners. :)

Your boys played some very attractive footy last night and were very pleasing to watch as a neutral. A couple of the big moments didn't go your way like the poster from Walker and Hawthorn/Umpires managed to make the most of their big moments and eventually came out on top. I must admit I didn't know a lot about quite a few of your players but It seems like there isn't a shortage of talent. Will watch with interest for the rest of the year and hopefully the Crows or someone else can knock the Hawks out in the finals - so sick of those campaigners. :)

Cheers, good luck to the bombers for the rest of the year. Fantasia is the candy man reborn.

Just on the Cheney/Puopolo running soccer goal - last week there was a very similar situation with Tom Mitchell in the last quarter. The ball was kicked in to the open 50, Cheney and Mitchell sprinted towards goal chasing it, Cheney got in front and won the free for a push. Last night he tried to do the same thing but obviously Puopolo is much quicker and at the very moment Cheney realised it - about 5m from getting to the ball - he should have dove forward to knock it through or used his body to knock Puopolo. Instead he tried to replicate last week - eg. win front position - but Puopolo is much smarter.

It's harsh but it's little "dumb" decisions/errors that cost you against the best. Hawthorn rarely make errors when it matters.

another hollow victory for the Hawks...and they would have to know it...
Good: they are one little step closer to the cliff...it's coming
Bad: falling over all night... what's with that shit, don't do that?
Look at the way they celebrated after the final siren. It was like they had just won a prelim. That spoke volumes as well !!

Was at Coopers last night watching United smash City, I recorded the Crows game, sounds like a cracker. Question is, should I watch it or will the umpires just give me the $hits?

Could you do one of the Sydney game too? It will show that we got a ride from the umps at home at key stages.
Did you miss the Heeney throw to set up McGlynns goal in the first quarter? Did you miss the HTB against Atkins in the first quarter right in front of goal. The umps were equally as bad for both teams the whole game, we got reamed last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the Cheney/Puopolo running soccer goal - last week there was a very similar situation with Tom Mitchell in the last quarter. The ball was kicked in to the open 50, Cheney and Mitchell sprinted towards goal chasing it, Cheney got in front and won the free for a push. Last night he tried to do the same thing but obviously Puopolo is much quicker and at the very moment Cheney realised it - about 5m from getting to the ball - he should have dove forward to knock it through or used his body to knock Puopolo. Instead he tried to replicate last week - eg. win front position - but Puopolo is much smarter.

It's harsh but it's little "dumb" decisions/errors that cost you against the best. Hawthorn rarely make errors when it matters.
Big difference to last week. Last week was a foot race a long way out from goal. Last night was near the goal square.

Was at Coopers last night watching United smash City, I recorded the Crows game, sounds like a cracker. Question is, should I watch it or will the umpires just give me the $hits?
Watch it.

I can never watch replays of our losses.
I had it all planned out last night, with 5 minutes to go I was going to go home and watch the replay in my snug pjs whilst on the recliner.
Can't even do that anymore, spewing. Did the commentators go nuts when Walker took that mark in the 4th.

Might do a compilation of some of the umpiring decisions if I have some free time. Would have to include any dodgy ones that we won too, none stood out but they tend not to when it's the team you support.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
The decisions that weren't paid were probably worse. Lynch's contested mark in a pack was a massive momentum changer in the last quarter. That was a mark every day of the week. Sicily ran 3 metres over the mark when Hartigan took a mark just outside the defensivce 50 and was never even called back to the mark, let alone the 50 metre penalty that it should have been. Sicily also grabbed Talia and performed the textbook "sling tackle" which was highlighted at the start of the year that it would be heavily scrutinised. Apparently that was forgotten about. There are a lot of others. The big problem is the umpiring panel will flog off about how well it was umpired.

I know its something that Peter J ponders after each game.... how is Don doing it.....We lose all key stats, and we've win 3 games and lost the other 2 by a combined 13 points away from home to 2 top 4 contenders.....

Something is brewing

As someone who has disliked this focus people have on stats for a number of years in line with the rise of fantasy games etc, I love it. It's confusing the hell out of people and will make other analysts ala King out of job (hopefully). It's simple total football. A good quality kick or handball to a teammate in a better position down the field at speed will ensure the defence is always on the backfoot and chasing. Pressure at the ball carrier hard so that they instinctively believe they have no time to settle and do the quality kick or handball. That increases their possession count as they flick it around back and forth trying to find a way forward. Now, yes, we get broken down on our press that has worked on a number of different size grounds, but they can only break it down for short periods and then we get control and go for long passes the majority of the time, hence the lower possession count etc. It's almost old school footy with a modern twist of the defensive press.

I cant remember the last I have been so devastated after a lose. I could not believe what I witnessed.

I'll watch the replay today and get a different perspective on the game, but you certainly cant fault the guys effort and intensity all night. It was a great atmosphere and there was a healthy contingent of Adelaide supporters at the game.

Hawthorn do have a unique ability to make things happens at the the games death. Hopefully we learned from this lose and continue on our upward journey.

Gutted, but well done to Hawthorn.

Last edited:
I cant remember the last I have been so devastated after a lose. I could not believe what I witnessed.

I'll watch the replay today and get a different perspective on the game, but you certainly cant fault the guys effort and intensity all night. It was a great atmosphere and there was a healthy contingent of Adelaide supporters at the game.

Hawthorn do have a unique ability to make things happens at the the gamed death. Hopefully we learned from this lose and continue on our upward journey.

Gutted, but well done to Hawthorn.

While we have turned snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when we're in Melbourne into an artform. It's most probably a combination of the two that caused our downfall sadly

Has anyone noticed our hand balls above the head to a crows player behind them.
Like freeing the hands and hand balling to a free Adelaide player who's called out from behind, seems like something we've practiced. Eagles did it well back in the day, same with Geelong.
We've never been good at this, however this year we are. Got a feeling it's something we've spent quite a bit of time practicing.

Off the field? Yeah, your captain drink driving really is a pinnacle of incredible success.

I agree

Plus their questionable on-field tactics ie Mitchell deliberately corking opponents and Hodge's despicable dog act on Wingard last year (which Hodge was given a token 2 game penalty for, but should have gotten 4-5 games).

Somewhat more level headed this morning...

I can't wait to watch the replay tonight. My initial thoughts:

Our transition play is fantastic and has other teams scratching their heads (even Clarko in his presser admitted as much). But we can't be a one trick pony. In both of our losses, we have been beaten by teams who have been able to absorb the scoreboard pressure we put on, and hit us on the counter attack.

I cant wait to discuss the game with Peter J who was at the game, but to me, the longer the ball remains in a contested situation across our half forward line, the more we lose our shape defensively. Our mids get sucked forward and our back half press too high and get too narrow. We don't have the midfield leg speed to cover losing possession across half forward in those situations, and get caught on the spread. I think at times we got caught playing last year's system - committing too many to the contest - and this hurt us going the other way. This game plan is still a work in progress, not only from an execution perspective, but also a couple of key personnel. We need to get Riley Knight into this team as quickly as possible.

I was actually disappointed with our forwards and our forward 50 entries under pressure. We're fine when Eddie gets off the chain out the back, or when we get a long shot from Smith or Seed, but we arent taking enough marks up forward. Tex needs to lift his workrate - that turnover he caused that resulted in a goal to us proved to me that he is fit. He needs to work harder for longer. Also our use of JJ in conjunction with Tex lacks cohesion. These two blokes need to work together better to create one on one situations, rather than packs. Neither are good in packs, but both are excellent one out. We need to give our talls more isolation up forward.

Our defense panicked all night. We didnt look in control down back, and I mentioned on Thursday night that my biggest concern was their small forwards. We held Bruest, but Pop and Cyril killed us. In retrospect, we went in too tall down back and probably could have matched up better defensively at selection. That said though, we let them get goal side of us far too often up forward, where they were always going to do us for pace. I would have liked to see Lever play a deeper "sweeper" role against the Hawks, as although his intercept marking was good, his positioning often left us exposed behind the contest. I think it's vital that we get Hampton up and running and into this team as soon as he's fit. He's shown he can do a defensive job (v Eddie last year) and he has dynamic speed. We need that kind of player down back to add some leg speed to the back half.

I think if I was Pyke, I'd rate our effort as follows as a 7/10. There's still much work to do and we're still another draft/trade week away from the finished product. That said, we showed enough, and have enough improvement left in us, to be a top 4 contender this year. We knocked 70 points off the gap between Hawthorn and ourselves in 5 matches. We beat our bogey team at home last week. It's nice to be in a situation where all of a sudden we go into every game knowing our best is good enough. We just need to keep working and improving - if last night's result doesnt give the team hunger and self belief, then I don't know what will.

Oh yeah, and Umpires :mad::confused::thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back