Review Good/Bad/Ugly vs Hawthorn and their Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good

Bad

How slooooooow is our backline? Absolutely getting run ragged when the ball hits the ground. Very good when the ball is in the air and we have time to set up.

What are our options?

How quick is Doedee? Hampton still a fair way off. Do we need to start playing Riley Knight in defence in the SANFL - see if he's got that string to his bow? I like Wigg's skills - does he have pace/defensive capabilities? Smith and Henderson both have speed but are defensively poor.

?

Charlie Cameron would go alright down back. With Menzel or Milera taking his spot up front.

I don't think we need to be that kindergarten about it. Success follows him, and fairly instantly too

Bloke is obviously quality.

I have no doubt he is, but a cup would be ideal and ice the cake. The article about success following him was a great one and i have no doubt after watching this team play so far this year that he has us on the right track and we can match it with the best... now we just need to beat them if we get another opportunity this year

I think the fact that he is doing this due to passion, and not to feed the family is another key component in how he operates.

I think our gameplan is great but I don't think it's part of the plan to lose the midfield or inside 50s.
I doubt it is. However, what I've seen is that other teams transition the ball really well against us.
We lose possession at half forward and it's very quickly down the other end. Every week there has been a bunch of out the back goals to our opposition. Couple it with our slowish backline and we're giving up a lot of score.

It's almost a combination of few things - our mids getting too deep into attack, the mids not providing enough pressure at CHF and good transition plays from the opponents (who have been top-ish teams).
Another point is that we actually do cut off a lot of these plays (see 3rd quarter last night) but the sheer volume of them means we're conceding a helluva lot anyway.

Gotta fix that up. I get the feeling that against a poor team it will be a slaughter, but it's a real issue for us against quality.

Blame the umps if you want. Fact is we couldn't seal the deal, again.

At least the top 4 rubbish can be put to bed now, we are top 8 at best, can't beat an undermanned Hawthorn now won't be winning finals in the future.
The umpiring in that game should be investigated. It was ******* disgraceful.

We were the better team tonight and we absolutely should have won. Threw the win away in the last moments. Absolutely shattering.
It was a great game. Every supporter sees it in their own context I am sure. Its only round 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
How good is our ability to get our hands free in a tackle this year? So often in previous years we'd get pinged holding the ball due to our arms being held, but that doesn't happen too often under Pyke. We look to lift our arms as we're tackled and then get it to a free team mate around the contest. This often leads to us getting the ball out quickly and then try and cut it through the middle and a joy to watch :thumbsu:

All true other than Atkins was one of our best

I'm a big fan and probably rate his kick the best in the team, which is why was expecting a lot from his disposals. He made a handful of turnovers and also poor kicks that missed the mark, which was very uncharacteristic. Last week he nailed almost all of them.

In the last five minutes, lots of bad luck had to happen for us to lose and it all happened.

Smith kick just misses Seeds.
Walker hits the post.
Frees plucked out of mid air.
Hawthorn kick straight.
Frees missed.

The morning after and I'm still devastated.

The part of the game that worried me was the first 10 minutes after half-time. It didn't cost us on the scoreboard, but we were really sloppy.

Don't know the stats, but it seemed we were smashed in the centre clearances and had long periods where we couldn't find the footy.

There were some really poor short kicks in the last quarter coming out of defence which turned the ball over under no pressure.

Smith's kick was a huge turning point, but I was surprised Seedsman (?) went to ground.

The forward line was awesome and Sloane and Thompson were terrific. Laird had a poor game, but that's rare, although our small defenders looked susceptible to pace.

A long way to go, but I'm loving the way we're heading under Pyke.

Good: Don Pyke
Great: Don Pyke
Beautiful: Don Pyke

Assistant with us in 2005/06 we shoot from nowhere to the clouds.

Assistant with WC 2014/15
Go from 13th to 2nd in 2 seasons

Head coach with us 2016. Already making our team of B graders look A grade.

Man, Don is a winner.
He's not under as much pressure I think. The type of pressure that others are under. There's something about his approach that is dynamic as he doesn't have to spend time worrying about negative aspects to his trade. The way we play is slightly altered each game rather than some straight set, rigid thingy. I'd like to see or hear a team meeting on a Monday. Would be great. By my guess he wouldn't dwell. Maybe a lot of empowerment. He's giving confidence and setting important tasks that want to be taken on. Good buy in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The part of the game that worried me was the first 10 minutes after half-time. It didn't cost us on the scoreboard, but we were really sloppy.

I didn't mind it. We were off our game to start Q3, but the 3 time champs couldn't score..... Shows we can do it ugly when needed :thumbsu:

The good:

At least this will stop the whole "the lid's off" bullshit that would have been everywhere had we won.

We're building nicely, but we're a long way from being premiers.

We're not a long way off... Not at all. Not from a performance point of view though. Finals with the way we're playing should be locked in. top 4 a small chance. if we win 10/11 games at AO.... we only need 5-6 more wins away or top 4 and we already have 1 away win..... it's possible, but it aint locked in

get pumped! may as well get excited looking forward after last night's horrible results :)

I feel we did more to lose than Hawks did to win.. Apart from the umpires and puopolo they didn't have much going for them.

I think our players have a mental confidence issue against the Hawks... A lot of dropped marks and poor decisions that haven't been there in the last few weeks.

Thought Talia was well below par along with most our defenders. Pretty upset about the result but not devastated.. Feel we aren't too far away!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got halfway through the replay. Couldn't stomach the rest. Maybe tomorrow.

Ultimately a chance to take a big step forward as a club missed. The doubts remain.
This is why I'm down. I had us around the bottom of the 8 this year and possibly down to 10th. Throughout the game I had a SloaneRanger moment and was actually convinced we are playing good enough football to beat the best teams and it will only be a matter of fitness whether we can keep it up all year. I haven't felt like that since probably 2005 (2012 we weren't really there). A huge chance to show themselves and also the public that they can beat the best on the big stage and they let it slip!

I have no doubt he is, but a cup would be ideal and ice the cake. The article about success following him was a great one and i have no doubt after watching this team play so far this year that he has us on the right track and we can match it with the best... now we just need to beat them if we get another opportunity this year

I think the fact that he is doing this due to passion, and not to feed the family is another key component in how he operates.
Absolutely. It gives him a freedom.

The umpiring explains part of the loss but we could have controlled some situations better.

Brodie's missed kick as we all know, Cheney not being stronger in the contest vs. Puopolo or at least trying to lurch forward and knock it through.

I also thought we structured up terribly at that last throw in. We allowed three Hawks at the feet of the ruck contest including Lewis to get a free run at it as third man up. We had to have nullified that throw in. Then we didn't effectively block the space where a quick kick would have gone which is exactly where Puopolo ran into.

My concern is that it's the continuation of a pattern.

We don't have the opportunity to redeem ourselves until finals. Unfortunately we now, at best, have to enter finals with that doubt.

Instead of what should have happened. We should have had a great inspiring, confidence building, win.
Next week we do.

I have no doubt at all that we can match it with Hawthorn. Finals or not. I think we will be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back