• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Check out the 1st half reel I put on his thread. I'm a big fan.

Damage per involvement is really important these days. Low hurt factor players are today's list cloggers, and Pedlar is High hurt factor!
Thank you, but this thread is 35 pages. Please send me a link/reference to your post?

Go to the Luke Pedlar thread, mate. Sorry can't link rn, on the phone
Found it, thanks :thumbsu:.
Goes in head first like an early Dangerfield, doesn't he? Can't fault his effort. Likes to scrap inside. Does lower his eyes.
Definitely a footy player :thumbsu:, and goodonya for taking the time to do that

However, in slides 2 and 4 his handballs go straight to open Hawks players.
In Slide 7, his kick goes to a Hawk defender for an uncontested mark. 3 clean turnovers, which hurt.
He milked that free in 8, cleverly.
His kick in 11 (under no pressure) falls short of his teammate and actually gets him tackled. 4/11 turnovers.
Your own comments are relevant:
Damage per involvement is really important these days. Low hurt factor players are today's list cloggers

Rough diamond for sure. Only 20, seems to be finding his feet post-injury. Nicks is a believer, obviously.
I'll look for Pedlar more closely and watch his progress with interest.

Goes in head first like an early Dangerfield, doesn't he? Can't fault his effort. Likes to scrap inside. Does lower his eyes.
Definitely a footy player :thumbsu:, and goodonya for taking the time to do that

In Slide 7, his kick goes to a Hawk defender for an uncontested mark. 3 clean turnovers, which hurt.
His kick in 11 (under no pressure) falls short of his teammate and actually gets him tackled. 4/11 turnovers.

Rough diamond for sure. Only 20, seems to be finding his feet post-injury. Nicks is a believer, obviously.
What about him holding the ball in one hand, doing a fend off near the boundary and changing his mind mid-disposal and then kicking to a Crows player in the preseason against Fremantle?

One in 4 kicks hits the scoreboard.
On target for a 25-30 goal season
Averaging 5 marks a game
Thats with a small tank.

Yeah wouldn’t say very good but I’d say very important and the sort of win you make happen if you want to be a good side

Definitely a game we wouldn’t win 2018-2022

From 13 points down midway through the last I rate as a very good win. Shows belief to keep fighting it out and being successful at it - even after we squandered a few chances

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's hard to argue with any of this. Was a bit scrappy against the Hawks so I wouldn't use that as an example that we have the next Petracca!

It's hard to put my finger on what it is that makes him stand out. Probably has the most intensity at the contest of anyone I can remember at the club (similar to Mitch Robinson). You can tell he loves contact and hates losing and has the ability and power to actually win contests.

Add to that he's burst power when he gets it and can have an impact aerially. Knows how to find the goals. I think this hashes him dynamic.

He needs to get fitter and polish his disposal (think he's improved this already). Also needs some luck on the injury front.

And we let them for the majority of the game.

I don’t think you let them have 88 tackles or whatever it was. They have. A big midfield with Reeves and Nash, strong mids with Newcombe and Worpel. And that allowed them to stay in the game along with their effort

Clearly Mitchell set this game as one they could win and they threw everything including the kitchen sink at us. And we managed to prevail - shows growth

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What about him holding the ball in one hand, doing a fend off near the boundary and changing his mind mid-disposal and then kicking to a Crows player in the preseason against Fremantle?
I didn't see it, and what about it? One skillful act does not a Champion make.
What about Jones' tackle then goal in a preseason trial, years ago?
It showed potential and that's all.

My reply to Stephen2 was balanced. I really appreciated the very good, while pointing out the turnovers.
I am not dismissing Pedlar who's only played, what, 8 games?
I hope he stars for us in years to come, but that is yet to come.
Caveats about young players: Fogarty, Jones (who will make it imo) compared to many that have not.

1) One in 4 kicks hits the scoreboard.
2) On target for a 25-30 goal season
3) Averaging 5 marks a game
4) Thats with a small tank.
Please see my reply to ABAB .

1) Kicked 4.3 from 27 kicks total in 3 games 2023, fair enough. Good start. I hope he does even better.
2) that would be great :thumbsu:.
3) 2.38 marks/game, 4.075/game in 2023 (how many contested, do you know please?). 5 tackles/game, great :thumbsu:.
4) agree, and Burgess will affect that very positively.

It should be clear than I am not negative about Pedlar. I acknowledged in detail his positives and think he has great potential. But people have been gushing about him in here beyond his actual performances, that's all.
How about at the end of the year we look at the Coaches' votes for him in the BnF for the 3 games he's played?
Has he got any AFLCA Coaches' votes yet?

My reply to Stephen2 was balanced. I really appreciated the very good, while pointing out the turnovers.
Caveats about young players: Fogarty, Jones (who will make it imo) compared to many that have not.
Composure in traffic is what quality players have compared to others. Rachele and Soligo both have this and they also turn the ball over quite a bit against the Hawks as it was a very pressure game.

Anybody --- what am I missing, please? Is there a best-of-Pedlar highlight reel?
I can just tell that he’s gonna be a gun. I watch most our sanfl matches - he missed a lot of footy over the past two years through injury. First full pre season this year and is building into it nicely. Probably won’t grab a game by the scruff of the neck for a year or two, but it will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s about intuition on seeing some special or elite traits early on. for me that’s extreme toughness and fearlessness, ability long term to really hurt (physically) opposition in tackles, overhead marking, goal sense and a beautiful kick (with room for improvement). High footy IQ knowing where to be at the right time.

Combined with other physical traits - burst speed Danger type and raw strenight - we have sorely been missing in recent years. That’s why some are comparing - all in good fun early on- to the legendary Gary Mc I

it’s perhaps like you seeing Max after 6 games and being convinced. Many others here inc myself think a Pedlar is on the way to likely elite status. Whether he ends up the 🐐, well that’s probably another whole discussion…

It should be clear than I am not negative about Pedlar. I acknowledged in detail his positives and think he has great potential. But people have been gushing about him in here beyond his actual performances, that's all.
How about at the end of the year we look at the Coaches' votes for him in the BnF for the 3 games he's played?
Aren't Soligo, Thilthorpe, and Michaelanney, also getting positive feedback ....beyond what their output has been so early in their career ?

You forget, the HFF is a difficult role to be involved in the game on a continuous basis .....and the objective this year, with Pedlar is continuity and improvement in his game

He's achieving both

I simply love one play on Sat, where he picked the ball up, and faced with 2 opponents ....just charged thru both with physicality, rather than trying to run around them .....this from a player, who's only played 10 AFL games !!!!

You need to be able to see potential

potential.gif

I can just tell that he’s gonna be a gun. I watch most our sanfl matches - he missed a lot of footy over the past two years through injury. First full pre season this year and is building into it nicely. Probably won’t grab a game by the scruff of the neck for a year or two, but it will happen.
Pedlar will, when he inevitably goes into the Midfield

Thank you.
I really hope bigtime that he'll be a gun.

What I was doing was discussing, not criticising, not trying to be right.

1) Kicked 4.3 from 27 kicks total in 3 games 2023, fair enough. Good start. I hope he does even better.
3) 2.38 marks/game, 4.075/game in 2023 (how many contested, do you know please?). 5 tackles/game, great :thumbsu:.

Sits at number 4 for marks inside 50 behind Fogarty, Rankine and Walker.
7th in goal assists similar to Dawson and ahead of Walker and Rankine
6 score involvements per game.
6th on goal kicking list averaging 1.2 goals per game.

Very earlier days but offering more than Murphy and Keays as a forward option already.

You need to be able to see potential
WW, cmon :confusedv1:.
I said: "It should be clear than I am not negative about Pedlar. I acknowledged in detail his positives and think he has great potential."
Before that: "Goes in head first like an early Dangerfield, doesn't he? Can't fault his effort. Likes to scrap inside. Does lower his eyes. Definitely a footy player ..." which is obvious praise for a young player with potential.

I know Mods are busy but are you reading my posts, or just those from people who think I am taking potshots @ Pedlar?
I am not. I admitted freely that I didn't see what others had seen and asked for examples eg a highlight reel.
I liked very much the compilation that Stephen2 made :thumbsupv1:, which certainly drew my attention to more of Pedlar's strengths.
4 of the slides were lowlights, turnovers, and yes, young players will do that.

Summary: several people in here have really been talking Pedlar up. Waaay UP.
While I see and acknowledge his potential, the last 5 years have taught me to be less effusive about flashes of brilliance. Remember: Gallucci, McAsey and others from 2018 to now. Even Jones has taken a long time to find his niche.

None of us are right or wrong and I hope like hell Pedlar becomes as good as people have been suggesting.
Aren't Soligo, Thilthorpe, and Michaelanney, also getting positive feedback ....beyond what their output has been so early in their career ?
There's a difference between 'positive feedback' and hyperbole.
There's also a difference between discussion and player criticism; the latter has to be balanced and I've tried to do that.

I think Michalanney is beyond potential. I think he's very good now, achieving now, beyond his age and experience and am confident he'll be a 200+ rock for the Crows.
Soligo is in my Pedlar boat; huge potential. I'll wait'n'see, but like Pedlar I hope he excels too.

Thilthorpe: well, he's going to be a a major strength for the Crows when his experience grows into his height and ability. In the same game he can be brilliant and very ordinary. Meh, youth. His worst is truly awful.
Fwiw, I think Rankine is a star; creative, polished, occasionally dazzling and like Dawson has lifted the Crows a notch.
Or three.
Soligo, Pedlar and Rachele are eye-catching, but Rankine and Dawson dazzle. (<== hmmm :think:, is that hyperbole? :rolleyesv1:, lol@me)

Sits at number 4 for marks inside 50 behind Fogarty, Rankine and Walker.
7th in goal assists similar to Dawson and ahead of Walker and Rankine
6 score involvements per game.
6th on goal kicking list averaging 1.2 goals per game.

Very earlier days but offering more than Murphy and Keays as a forward option already.
All great signs. Mate, I am in agreement.

Thank you.
I hope bigtime that he'll be a gun.

What I was doing was discussing, not criticising, not trying to be right.

people are excited on potential more than current output ...and with good reason as he seems to have levels still he can go to compared to others

high ceiling if you like

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad/Ugly vs Hawthorn, R6 2023

Back