Review Good/Bad vs Geelong at Kardinia, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

You will be proven conclusively wrong. bookmark this post.
There no doubting the kid has talent and courage but physically he is at least 2-3 years away from being able to have a consistent impact in the midfield.

Douglas yes as fathertime has caught up on him, but Gibbs can still contribute once he has sorted out his non-footy distractions.
and until that happens he shouldnt be playing footy at any level. he looked completely lost out there, not interested in footy.

What? It certainly was in the last quarter: annoyed me no end. We might have got a little closer had we kicked it to each other.
Don’t you remember some of those KP losses? Entire games spent bombing kicks down Enright’s throat. Not every kick forward was perfect and some were marked by the Geelong spare, but it was still way better than our previous games there.

As I see it we aren't good enough overall as a squad and I also believe that our collective coaching group isn't what it needs to be to compete.

We have some good games but from week to week game to game quarter to quarter we are not consistent enough and we are not able to sustain intensity and physicality long enough to be a serious contender.

I also think our squad, in terms of physical size is lacking. I cant see that we will contend for a while, some of our "better" players are towards the end of their career and won't get any better than what we see now.

For all the promise BCrouch has he has some areas of his game that I consider well below par....along with Gibbs. Some of their efforts last night we pathetic.

As I see it we aren't good enough overall as a squad and I also believe that our collective coaching group isn't what it needs to be to compete.

We have some good games but from week to week game to game quarter to quarter we are not consistent enough and we are not able to sustain intensity and physicality long enough to be a serious contender.

I also think our squad, in terms of physical size is lacking. I cant see that we will contend for a while, some of our "better" players are towards the end of their career and won't get any better than what we see now.

For all the promise BCrouch has he has some areas of his game that I consider well below par....along with Gibbs. Some of their efforts last night we pathetic.
Bit harsh on b crouch had several great weeks. Generational change is happening. Defentely would be great to get a decent fwd coach. Be good if we could snag roughie.

Why the **** is Douglas playing? Gibbs can go away forever and sort out his life.

14 points down at three quarter time and we concede the first 9 inside 50s of the last. If that doesn't tell you we don't give a **** then I don't know what will.

I think it says more about our coaching group not able to make a move to change momentum of the game. We've seen this before, its not a once off.

We aren't up to it, it as simple as that.

Bit harsh on b crouch had several great weeks. Generational change is happening. Defentely would be great to get a decent fwd coach. Be good if we could snag roughie.

Maybe harsh, by he lacks poise and his disposal can be awful.....to me he is a panic merchant. I expect more from him. For us to be better we need blokes like him to be better.

There was one play either in the second or third quarter, Cats kicking to the left of screen...ball was loose....Brad should have got the to the ball before the cats player, his effort was what I would call pathetic.....cats player gets the ball and they score a goal.

There no doubting the kid has talent and courage but physically he is at least 2-3 years away from being able to have a consistent impact in the midfield.
Disagree

This idea that Chayce Jones is so "underdeveloped" physically is a BF fallacy, Chayce is already well on the way to an AFL body and it will most certainly not take 2 -3 years, absolutely not.

Chayce Jones 180cm 77kg at the the start of the year measuring.

Matt Crouch 182cm 80kg

Zach Merrett 182cm 80kg

David Zaharakis 180cm 79kg

Josh Kelly 184cm 82kg

Dylan shiel 182cm 82kg

Tim Kelly 183cm 82kg

Jack Billings 184cm 81kg

Rory Sloane 182cm 83kg

Darcy Parish 180cm 80kg

Disagree

This idea that Chayce Jones is so "underdeveloped" physically is a BF fallacy, Chayce is already well on the way to an AFL body and it will most certainly not take 2 -3 years, absolutely not.

Matt Crouch 182cm 80kg

Zach Merrett 182cm 80kg

Josh Kelly 184cm 82kg

Dylan shiel 182cm 82kg

Tim Kelly 183cm 82kg

Jack Billings 184cm 81kg

Rory Sloane 182cm 83kg

Darcy Parish 180cm 80kg
You're deliberately muddying the debate with stats and logic. Stop it

Disagree

Matt Crouch 182cm 80kg

Zach Merrett 182cm 80kg

Josh Kelly 184cm 82kg

Dylan shiel 182cm 82kg

Tim Kelly 183cm 82kg

Jack Billings 184cm 81kg

Rory Sloane 182cm 83kg

Darcy Parish 180cm 80kg
Pretty sure we all saw him play afl earlier this year and clearly he needs more development

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm absolutely sick of us continuously 'backing our game plan' in for the whole game even when it's not working.

Particular when just 7 days ago a team gave us a blue print on how to beat Geelong, and we just straight up refused to even contemplate changing things.

It's almost like our coaching group is so arrogant that 'our game plan' is the best that they never actually have to watch how other opposition have beaten the team we're playing in the past.

I'm absolutely sick of us continuously 'backing our game plan' in for the whole game even when it's not working.

Particular when just 7 days ago a team gave us a blue print on how to beat Geelong, and we just straight up refused to even contemplate changing things.

It's almost like our coaching group is so arrogant that 'our game plan' is the best that they never actually have to watch how other opposition have beaten the team we're playing in the past.

The arrogance of this club is confusing sometimes. Doesn't change approach when that would provide the best chance of winning, picks and carries players like Douglas and Gibbs who are giving nothing for some reason???? At the same time rests players with minor niggles, which isn't arrogant.

So we have improved one area of arrogance (playing injured players).

Honestly I am not shocked at the conservative nature of the club, you just have to look at who we employ, look at the board. What a snoozefest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree

Matt Crouch 182cm 80kg

Zach Merrett 182cm 80kg

Josh Kelly 184cm 82kg

Dylan shiel 182cm 82kg

Tim Kelly 183cm 82kg

Jack Billings 184cm 81kg

Rory Sloane 182cm 83kg

Darcy Parish 180cm 80kg
absolutely. and how else is he going to get afl developed?

other clubs have backed in their youth and prospered. stop giving has beens and never were's token spots.

Good:

- ROB has been in great form, good to see him have another solid game. Again, seems to start slow but once the other ruck loses some jump he works himself into it far more.
- Seedsman was fantastic, perfect game from him!
- Greenwood's marking so strong and important for us along with the other things he adds to the side. Hope we get the pen to paper soon as he's pretty important to the team.
- Brown was really solid I thought, defended well, tackled strongly and made them work for it.
- Tex was good in the first half but didn't get to do too much after hurting his elbow. One thing I'd like to see is him being deeper in the forward line for some stoppages. There was one around 70m and he must have been at the 20-30m mark which just means had we won it, he's going to be kicked on top of him and requires him to take a contested mark. Have him in the goal square and it gives him more room to lead out and take it that way - which is what he's best at. Looking at how Geelong kick to Hawkins advantage is something I'd love to see us do for Tex.
- Hartigan did well to not give up any easy shots on Danger when he was marking him I thought. Had one bad kick for memory but props to him.

Bad:

The entry into the forward line still sucks and probably more evident all over the ground this time too with the blind kicking ahead, doesn't work.

- Laird. I dunno what to make of him as a footballer. He won a B&F and maybe runner up too so he's played some really good footy for us. I feel like he can fill a hole and get a mark from the opposition kick very well which is one of his stronger skills. That said, when it comes time to him using the ball he just has no hurt factor whatsoever and hurts us with his up and under kicks. Feel like he just chases stats which doesn't help the team. There was one just before quarter time (?) where he elected to get some scrubby kick along the boundary line with a minute or less to go, they then rebound it hard on the wing and kick a goal. A smart footballer would have let it go out.
- Keath's kicking was shithouse.
- Smith needs to do more. I find it surprising looking at the stats to see has 1 mark. Surely when we look to switch it in the backline or whatever, he's the guy we should be kicking it to to make the most of his kicking skills. We could do a lot better by trying to get the ball into his hands more rather then just kicking it to anyone in the backline who instead take safe kicks/kill momentum/turn it over.
- Himmelberg, maybe harsh but he was falling over a lot and really didn't have any presence as a key forward. He took one nice contested mark but outside of that he didn't really make it a contest which was disappointing.
- Douglas. Awful, was all over the place and just hurt us having him out there unfortunately. Should have a spell.
- Gibbs, gave us nothing at all. Shame that when he was dropped previously he at least added to our side but this time he really didn't do anything for us. I would prefer to see him have another crack though and see if he can pick up form as neither us or he will gain anything from the constant dropping after 1 game at AFL level. Another bad one though and he's in trouble.
- Betts didn't get a look. It happens with small forwards though, just didn't get a look at it.
- Talia was well beaten. Hawkins had some nice looks and took the advantage of them all. It was hard for Talia but usually he stops a good number of them but didn't seem able to stop him at all.

Not sure how you blame Pyke out of that. We had them on the ropes 20 points up until the Crouches and Sloane went AWOL in the middle and contested ball dropped off a cliff.

Maybe you're right though. Maybe Pyke should've pulled the boots on, charged out there and led our midfield to stop an embarrassing 10 goal turn around.

Also, if you can't see the changes Pyke has made even this year since round 4 (let alone those prior to 2017) to get the most out of our limited list then probably nothing will ever satisfy you. Pyke would have a premiership by now if he was at Geelong all day every day.

If we were to let him go he would get snapped up before you could blink.

Get the most out of a limited list?

I find that a bizarre statement to make when we were the benchmark of the competition for the latter part of 2016 and all throughout 2017.

As for all the changes you claim, besides the departures that were out of our control (Cameron, Lever, McGovern) we're pretty much running with the same side and structure 2-3 years later.

Who have we developed and brought into our side? Himmelberg is playing solely because it's a like for like replacement for Jenkins, Murphy is playing because Cameron left, Keath and Doedee got an opportunity because of Lever's departure and ROB started playing due to Sauce's injury, but who have we developed that's come through the SANFL and busted the door down form wise and actually shown something substantial during Pyke's time? CEY has come in and been serviceable, but the development and rejuvenation of our list in my opinion has been pretty minimal.

The reality is that our 2017 squad is 2 years older and not at the same level anymore so if the club continues to cling on to 2017 and not make some wholesale changes then we're just going to continue to fall away each year.

People might not agree, but for me it is quickly beginning to feel like a carbon copy of Neil Craig in 07-09 back when he continued to flog a dead horse before it fell off the cliff.

Last edited:
Get the most out of a limited list?

I find that a bizarre statement to make when we were the benchmark of the competition for the latter part of 2016 and all throughout 2017.

As for all the changes you claim, besides the departures that were out of our control (Cameron, Lever, McGovern) we're pretty much running with the same side and structure 2-3 years later.

Who have we developed and brought into our side? Himmelberg is playing solely because it's a like for like replacement for Jenkins, Murphy is playing because Cameron left, Keath and Doedee got an opportunity because of Lever's departure and ROB started playing due to Sauce's injury, but who have we developed that's come through the SANFL and busted the door down form wise and actually shown something substantial during Pyke's time? CEY has come in and been serviceable, but the development and rejuvenation of our list in my opinion has been pretty minimal.

The reality is that our 2017 squad is 2 years older and not at the same level anymore so if the club continues to cling on to 2017 and make some wholesale changes then we're just going to continue to fall away each year.

People might not agree, but for me it is quickly beginning to feel like a carbon copy of Neil Craig in 07-09 back when he continued to flog a dead horse before it fell off the cliff.
It's not that hard to work out. We got to a GF in spite of our list, not because we have an amazing list. We got to a GF because of Pyke.

We don't have the early picks, father sons, academy picks etc of the best lists.

Yeah sure, champion data says we have an amazing list but every Adelaide supporter knows that's not true. Champion data also has Westhoff as one of the greats of the competition and Douglas as one of the best on our list.

We have a very good coach who gets the best out of our limited resources.

Is he perfect? No. Should've tagged Kelly harder. But we don't really have a good tagger on our list. Gibbs went to him at times but was generally 5 metres behind him looking confused.

Pyke is not the problem at all. The fact we are 5th is very much because of Pyke.

If you think we have an amazing list and Pyke just isn't getting the best out of it, you're admirably drunk.

Who have we developed and brought into our side?

If you're comparing 2017 to today, it has been a few but not too many.

Cameron → Murphy
Lever → Doedee → Keath
McGovern → (Greenwood)
(Greenwood) → Ellis-Yolmen
Jacobs → O'Brien
Mackay → Milera
Douglas → Gallucci
Knight → Seedsman

In 2018 we did try a lot of players but haven't persisted with them. Gibson (shit and old), Cheney (same same), Poholke (not good enough), Hampton (awful), Wilson (awful). Fogarty showed something but hasn't had the opportunities this year.

This year we are trying a few more. Himmelberg, Davis, Jones, O'Brien.

I don't think Neil Craig would have tried out nearly as many players. And I think we are seeing that some of the younger guys are sticking around for decent stints, like Himmelberg, O'Brien, Murphy, Gallucci and Jones.

The only real question marks you'd have to say at this point are why we haven't seen more of Fogarty and McHenry

I think it says more about our coaching group not able to make a move to change momentum of the game. We've seen this before, its not a once off.

We aren't up to it, it as simple as that.
I’m usually pretty critical of this group but having seen what I’ve seen this year I’d cool the jets.

2016 and 17 the eventual premiers both lost down there. This year WCE got pumped by 10 goals...wouldn’t write them off.

There was nothing in that game that I saw which resembled the game plan we have rolled out over the last 8 weeks.

Key players given an extra week to recover for Showdown.

No excuses this week, but I suspect we will do the neighbours and set up a run at finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Geelong at Kardinia, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back