Review Good/Bad vs Geelong at Kardinia, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if we only drop one more game (Eagles) I still had us finishing 5th. Chances are we will drop 2-3 with our erratic form.

We shot ourselves in the foot early with some poor losses (North, Hawthorn etc).

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the year we do any damage in finals. I'd love to be proven wrong...

Even if we only drop one more game (Eagles) I still had us finishing 5th. Chances are we will drop 2-3 with our erratic form.

We shot ourselves in the foot early with some poor losses (North, Hawthorn etc).

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the year we do any damage in finals. I'd love to be proven wrong...
5 is a good positive pos to finish the season. I'd be happy with that. Our form isn't as erratic as port. Not sure we have a top 4 list at the moment. Good POS to finish for the death riding thread aswell.

5 is a good positive pos to finish the season. I'd be happy with that. Our form isn't as erratic as port. Not sure we have a top 4 list at the moment. Good POS to finish for the death riding thread aswell.

Port have a team full of first round talent being blooded.

We have an aging team supposedly going for one last crack at it. Fifth is a disaster.

Port have a team full of first round talent being blooded.

We have an aging team supposedly going for one last crack at it. Fifth is a disaster.
Not disagreeing but first few rounds of this year were a disaster. Think that ship sailed in the first four rounds of the season.

Not disagreeing but first few rounds of this year were a disaster. Think that ship sailed in the first four rounds of the season.

Look, I get where you're coming from- its relative to where to start judging from- I think you have to consider where we are as a whole.

If we made fifth on the back of getting a season into guys like Jones, Fog, McHenry etc I'd be happy enough- there's some glimpses for the future there and there's something to put around the early draft pick.

What we're talking about now is eeking the last juice out of our ancients and not really being a competitor. I'm not sure that's something to celebrate. Port could miss the eight and still have had a better season IMO- theyve got 20 or so games into three potentially elite talents.

We just don't win at Kardinia Park...

We just don't beat the Eagles in Perth...

Write them off. Already losses. Ignore them and move on.

Why do we always lose?

Because they're difficult games and we prove not to be good enough to win them.

Why do we always disappoint in September? Same reason.

Perhaps instead of treating these games as write offs they should guide our actions moreso than any other game of the season.

Why do we always lose?

Perhaps instead of treating these games as write offs they should guide our actions moreso than any other game of the season.
The club doesn’t treat them as right offs though, it’s supporters offering up excuses.

The club doesn’t treat them as right offs though, it’s supporters offering up excuses.
Do you think there will be unforced changes this week then?

Eg not just injured players out / returning

Look, I get where you're coming from- its relative to where to start judging from- I think you have to consider where we are as a whole.

If we made fifth on the back of getting a season into guys like Jones, Fog, McHenry etc I'd be happy enough- there's some glimpses for the future there and there's something to put around the early draft pick.

What we're talking about now is eeking the last juice out of our ancients and not really being a competitor. I'm not sure that's something to celebrate. Port could miss the eight and still have had a better season IMO- theyve got 20 or so games into three potentially elite talents.
Your right I was glass half full. Even before the season started I didn't think we could win a flag with our current list. It is a real worry we haven't blooded more but they did try Davis which although he didn't play well is a positive step forward in recognising list too old. ROB has been good considering we didn't have a ruck at start of season. Maybe we should be squeezing games into butts, McHenry, Wilson, poholke, Jones. Hopefully the coaching panel doesn't still think we will need Mckay,Douglas and knight come finals.

Last edited:
Had a good look and think about Friday’s game.

Our defence was outstanding,
Harto and Kelly were very good and 2 of our best of the night.
Talia has been harshly judged, when TomaHawk got a few goal and easy possessions. It was the complete lack of midfield pressure.
Lairs and Smith were poor, was bewildering why smith was in deep defence.

Our midfield was poor defensively and let there mids control the play.
Gibbs was awful as was Douglas.
Crouches and Sloane were ok
Rob was very good and probably our best player of the night.

Our forwards were terrible.

Walker was ok until the injury but the rest were so bad. Betts, Murph and Davis needed to do so much more.

I think the structure or our mids were poor and let them out easy. In all our losses our play is identical. Our spare man does nothing and there’s is best on ground.

We need to get rid of Gibbs and Douglas, they are never to play again.
It’s time to drop Murphy as well, unfortunately he offers no goal scoring threat.
Davis isn’t ready as he was outmuscled to often.

Lucky we have Jj, Cey, Lynch to come back and it’s definitely time for Stengle.

We have to do everything possible to get Fog up to speed fast and his attack on the ball is needed

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good look and think about Friday’s game.

Our defence was outstanding,
Harto and Kelly were very good and 2 of our best of the night.
Talia has been harshly judged, when TomaHawk got a few goal and easy possessions. It was the complete lack of midfield pressure.
Lairs and Smith were poor, was bewildering why smith was in deep defence.

Our midfield was poor defensively and let there mids control the play.
Gibbs was awful as was Douglas.
Crouches and Sloane were ok
Rob was very good and probably our best player of the night.

Our forwards were terrible.

Walker was ok until the injury but the rest were so bad. Betts, Murph and Davis needed to do so much more.

I think the structure or our mids were poor and let them out easy. In all our losses our play is identical. Our spare man does nothing and there’s is best on ground.

We need to get rid of Gibbs and Douglas, they are never to play again.
It’s time to drop Murphy as well, unfortunately he offers no goal scoring threat.
Davis isn’t ready as he was outmuscled to often.

Lucky we have Jj, Cey, Lynch to come back and it’s definitely time for Stengle.

We have to do everything possible to get Fog up to speed fast and his attack on the ball is needed

How can you say our defence was outstanding and then say Smith and Laird were poor? I agree they were poor by the way. Our defence let them score 2.1 at the end of the first 3 quarters, that was crucial.

Why do we always lose?

I’d be more inclined to agree if it was just us.

WCE were pole axed down there this season, Dogs lost there in 2016 as did the Tigers in 2017.

It’s not happy hunting ground for anyone - maybe Sydney.

That said you’re spot on regarding some of our performances in important games - this group has terrible form in that regard.

I think I’ve seen a little more resilience this last 8 weeks when things haven’t been on our terms, so will reserve judgment for now.

This week is a must though. No second prize at all

I think the players returning this week would have played against Geelong if fit, is that what you are referring to?
No, I'm asking whether poor performing players from the Geelong game will be dropped because we watched that and thought, Gee that won't be good enough in September.

Or if that will be ignored and it just be injured related eg Lynch and CEY fit so they return. Last in, first out.

No, I'm asking whether poor performing players from the Geelong game will be dropped because we watched that and thought, Gee that won't be good enough in September.

Or if that will be ignored and it just be injured related eg Lynch and CEY fit so they return. Last in, first out.
The latter

How can you say our defence was outstanding and then say Smith and Laird were poor? I agree they were poor by the way. Our defence let them score 2.1 at the end of the first 3 quarters, that was crucial.

Our defence as a whole was good considering our midfield had no real defensive pressure. Laird is of the boil this year and his disposal was horrible, as for Smith I think the coach should have made a move to free him up. Smith as a last defender is crazy, he defended well but we need him to run it out.
With Milera out we needed him to play well but he couldn’t. Most of the red time goals were midfields fault not the defender

Deja vu.

Bump the threads from our previous visits to the Cattery.

Sick of losing down there.

At least I didn't stupidly pick us like I have before after a false wave of positivity leading into the game.

I did :)

Tell tale sign of a player finished is when they fall over all the time.

Douglas

It's been there throughout his career. How was the one in the middle where he took possession in the air, landed and fell forward? Kind of like a baby giraffe taking its first steps.

The ground was suspect though. Lots of players slipping over.

Tell tale sign of a player finished is when they fall over all the time.

Douglas

Agree, barring an injury crisis, last week was probably his last game for the club. Sad.
Doesn't even have the excuse of 'pressure acts' (ie chasing someone that actually has the ball) this time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back