Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Earlier it was run it through, short kicks etc. However, at the moment we seem really prone to panicking in defence (fair enough, it's an inexperienced group) and that's where the repeated bombs come into it. If anything, it's probably the moment we missed someone like Talia the most.

Talia would have made it worse, if you are talking just about disposal.

Talia would have made it worse, if you are talking just about disposal.

Oh definitely, disposal wise. That said, it looked like it was a moment we needed a cool head and some experience down back more so then anything else, and Brown doesn't really provide that.

Good:
Thilthorpe. Great effort.
2nd quarter.
Goal kicking accuracy first half.
Keays

Bad
Umpiring
Not playing a medical sub. Embarrassing and simply unacceptable. Want an explanation from the club. They are taking the pisss with this must play injured experience. Give me a ****ing break. One of the lowlights in our history.
2nd half in general.
Hamill's injury.
Moose, McHenry, Rowe, McAdam, Murphy, Lynch, Butts, Brown.

Ugly
Umpiring
Dwayne
Keays kick for goal
McAdam kick for goal
Walker getting outmarked late
Doedee not kicking it late
Himmelberg missing his kick for goal by 20 metres

Last edited:
Bloody hate playing at grounds like that though where wind can have such a massive influence on the result. Do Port ever play games in Tassie? Or Geelong? Any of the big Vic clubs? Why are we and clubs like Brisbane lumped with these sh*t fixtures all the time?!
Port have played 10 games at York Park - more than Adelaide have played at York Park & Bellerive in total. They have also played 1 game at Bellerive.
Geelong have played a grand total of 1 game at York Park - R4 2007. They have never played at Bellerive.

You can’t be that sure pure speculation
Both game the opposition midfield got on top of us late in the game which is expected given the our most experience and best midfielder is Laird who hasn't played in the midfield for a long time so Sloane (2020 form) would have made a huge difference.

I’ve mentioned this in a previous GBU, but what is actually our strategy to kick the ball from defence? Nothing unsettles a defence more than repeat entries. I know ROB finally started taking some grabs but by then it was all too little too late. This really needs sorting. Kicking and hoping to a pack is how we used to do it back in the 2’s way back when AND had the same results!

This is spot-on, and the key to the result. The kickouts, apart from the desperate Smith, were long and right, just like the old times. The coaches must do something to rectify this. Also, the Doodee kicks were the same, and usually short: he is not a great disposer. It was frustrating to see every exit from defence in the last as a bomb straight to an oppo mark! Nicks said in passing when commenting on the North game, that we were incapable of getting the ball out of defence, and it was the same in the last. We needed to have a plan B there.

Of course, the lack of fitness and player exhaustion might have had something to do with this, but I think it's more than that. It's been notable in many recent games that the oppo kickouts seem to have no trouble finding a free teammate, whereas all of ours go to a contest. What is going on?
Is there some reason why our players can't get free or lead to a kickout? Is is just laziness, or systemic?

aparantly Kelly is gonna do an interview at the airport in regards to the medical sub shortly according to fox footy, should be good, cant see any explanation that will cut it
"We told Lynch to get ready after half time, being an experience and leader of the playing group he should have known better".

This is spot-on, and the key to the result. The kickouts, apart from the desperate Smith, were long and right, just like the old times. The coaches must do something to rectify this. Also, the Doodee kicks were the same, and usually short: he is not a great disposer. It was frustrating to see every exit from defence in the last as a bomb straight to an oppo mark! Nicks said in passing when commenting on the North game, that we were incapable of getting the ball out of defence, and it was the same in the last. We needed to have a plan B there.

Of course, the lack of fitness and player exhaustion might have had something to do with this, but I think it's more than that. It's been notable in many recent games that the oppo kickouts seem to have no trouble finding a free teammate, whereas all of ours go to a contest. What is going on?
Is there some reason why our players can't get free or lead to a kickout? Is is just laziness, or systemic?
we have never been great at the kick out since the rules changed.. the first year it changed we were actually deplorable.. worst in the comp at it, it was almost as if we were the only team in the comp that didnt practice it over the summer that year.. we’ve barely improved since then.

You can’t be that sure pure speculation
Yes, you can be that certain. Given how little Fogarty offered in both games, the form that Sloane was in, our dependence on Sloane in our early wins, the fact that we were clearly 1 midfielder short vs Freo (2 short vs Hawthorn), and the margins in both games, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we would have won those games if Sloane was present and Fogarty wasn't.

We can't be 100% certain... but I'd definitely settle for 99.5%.

Will Riley have the "body of work" for the Rising Star nomination?
I reckon the loss hurts him. And like Vader said, Kozi had the far superior game. If we win maybe it swings Riley's way. Either way it won't be long if he keeps that up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, you can be that certain. Given how little Fogarty offered in both games, the form that Sloane was in, our dependence on Sloane in our early wins, the fact that we were clearly 1 midfielder short vs Freo (2 short vs Hawthorn), and the margins in both games, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we would have won those games if Sloane was present and Fogarty wasn't.
Could have Brocken down in the first 5 mins or tagged rediculous to say we win

I reckon the loss hurts him. And like Vader said, Kozi had the far superior game. If we win maybe it swings Riley's way. Either way it won't be long if he keeps that up.
I wouldn't say far superior.

If we had won he was a monty

Amateur hour

Is this the first time we've ever been upset that Mackay wasn't on the plane?

Even the guys who had already played SANFL yesterday would have been a better option.

Rowe, Mcpherson and McAdam need to come out immediately. Do not Give Rowe another opportunity to flat track his way to a couple of goals at home.
Agreed. In this league the odd exceptional player (e.g. Tom Mitchell) can be both short and slow as an on-baller but I cannot recall anyone whose been successful over a long career as a short and slow small forward. Just don’t think Rowe has the tools to succeed at this level.

Kosi was better. I wouldn't say "far superior", but he clearly won the head-to-head battle and deserves the RS nomination this week.
Yeah I have no qualms with Kosi getting it. Seemed to be grabbing everything that came his way. Was better than RT

That said, RT might be the best debut I've seen from a 1st year key forward ever

I reckon we tried to outsmart ourselves and use Lynch so he could offer advice/ experience on the bench but it backfired spectacularly. Only logical answer I have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back