Review Good v Brisbane, R20 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

"Get the job done". % booster vs Under 12 reserve girl scouts squad - Check.

Good:
- % Booster. We are now 3rd!
- 4 quarter effort. Holding Brisbane basically scoreless from half time. Kept piling on the goals.
- Tex Walker - stood up! Looked potent and over whatever niggle he had.
- Lynch - another elite performance. Love his kick.
- Betts, Jenkins - all solid
- ROB - Solid Game. He will continue to grow.
- CEY - What a solid player. Works well, and is a great forward option too!
- Sloane - He's just a star!
- Talia - Fap-worthy. So good!
- Laird - Amazing. AA quality.
- Lever - He just has elite skills for a young player. His decision making and kicking is just amazing.
- Crouch brothers - both looking dangerous.

Bad:
- Dmac plays another "okay, but not great" game and can't be dropped. Ugh!
- I know I shouldn't complain, but I was really hoping we could hit 200 (when we were 145 at 3 quater time)

Ugly:
- Matheison and his head flinging BS. What a rubbish attitude to the game. How about you win your own ball legitimately, instead of hoping the umps continue to jack you off.
- Brisbane Lions - you genuinely feel sorry for this team. So far off the pace its not funny.

Great weekend lads! Onto next week!

That's a silly post. Last weeks margin and today's are totally independent, we win by more last week and our percentage is closer to second.
Nah, you clowns complaining about an 82 point win - essendon's 2nd worst for the year - when we have other big wins on the way coming was just plain silly.

It's about the whole season, not 15 minutes of footy!

It's a comforting thought to have Talia, Lever, Hartigan and Cheney down back and play a game where you have absolutely no worries that the opposition will take a mark in the forward 50 if they bomb a ball in. Those guys are solid as a rock down there.

Yet, once again after a while, we saw poor old Cheney trying to jump and spoil 200-cm stringbeans! What was going on there with the assignments? Who did Hartigan have?

Agreed. But he didnt use the ball very well. Not sure what his DE was but would be surprised if it was very high.
81.8%.

We had 13 players with DEs of 80+%, and Sloane had 79.4%.

The anchor chains were Smith (52%) and CEY (55.6%). Everyone else went at 66% or better.

Nah, you clowns complaining about an 82 point win - essendon's 2nd worst for the year - when we have other big wins on the way coming was just plain silly.

It's about the whole season, not 15 minutes of footy!
Again with the clown talk?

Talia said we needed to finish off the game well after last weeks finish, is he also a clown?

The only clowns I can see are those content with letting the second bottom team kick the last 3 goals and eating into our percentage with 4 games to go.

And the thing is you couldn't even get that into your head, you kept focussing on the 82 point margin.

Yet, once again after a while, we saw poor old Cheney trying to jump and spoil 200-cm stringbeans! What was going on there with the assignments? Who did Hartigan have?
I did notice a few times that Lever left his man open (Hipwood), so Haetigan had to drop back and cover him while Lever went ball chasing. It probably left Hartigan in a bit of a pickle because he had his own bloke he was supposed to be on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
- The best BCrouch has moved all year. Fell out of it in the 2nd half, but he's building. I've been pretty unimpressed with his year up until now, but I'm back on board the hype train.
- Our backline was nearly faultless. A couple of rushed kicks were the only tarnish on the performance. Talia and Lever in particular were sensational
- ROB's solid debut. Sadly I'd be a bit surprised if he stuck around, there must be a few Vic clubs sniffing about.
- MCrouch was solid after those initial shanked kicks. It's encouraging that he's managing to get more uncontested ball now, he just needs to continue to improve his disposal.
- Cam looked dangerous as a forward. He's a chance at taking Douglas' spot now I would have thought.
- Tommy, Tex, and Jerka were all fantastic. I don't remember a game where they've all gotten so much of the ball.
- Charlie has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much potential. His disposal was much better today.
- Sloaney and Lairdy just keep on chugging. Choo choo, all aboard the All Australia train (For Sloane at least).
- Lyons continues to cement his spot. Any news on his contract?

Bad:
- Douglas was quiet
- Smith's disposal was a bit iffy, but he was hard at it and gave some good run.
- Atkins overall was solid, but the last couple of weeks he's sold himself into trouble a couple of times. A couple of times he just held onto it for too long, just waiting for the perfect opportunity.
- While I thought Cam was really promising tonight, I don't really understand the people that are using this game to 'prove' that Cam is secretly a good kick. His kicking wasn't terrible, but he missed a few targets, and there are plenty of SANFL games that show he's an average kick at best...
- Even though he kicked 4 I don't think that was Eddie's best game.

Ugly:
- Ducking. Quack quack.

Brad Crouch clearance work and first half was exceptional and his speed is back

CEY's versatility and I like his ability to hit the scoreboard

ROB debut, his goal, ruck work around the ground was good and his decision making was excellent

Talia was awesome

Liked Smoth's game and Sloane's 2nd half was as good as B. crouch's first half

M. Crouch and Lyons gave a really good 4 qtr performance

Lions one goal in the last half was critical to our percentage

Solid finish unlike last week
Sloane was awesome early too. Incredible gut running & involved in most of our goals in the 1st quarter.

If Rory Laird is not All-Australian, the entire concept is worthless. Easily the best in the comp in his position.
Meh, the only reason he'd miss is because of games played, I think most people would agree he's elite.

Knew this was going to come up. His kicking, aside from those 2 goals, was awful. The goals themselves were superb kicks, but most of his other kicks were just deplorable. I knew people would focus on those goals and try to justify arguments that his kicking has improved. It hasn't.

The facts are these:
  • CEY had just 18 disposals for the game. Only 6 players had less, and 2 of those were O'Brien (ruckman playing his 1st AFL game) and Seedsman (injured in the first quarter). Most of our other "inside" midfielders had 30+ disposals (Lyons had 29).
  • CEY had a dismal DE of just 55.6%. This was the 2nd worst result for the entire team. Only Brodie Smith (52%) was worse. To put it into context, we had 13 players with a DE greater than 80%, plus Sloane on 79.4%. 55% was about par when we played Geelong, it was about 300 miles away from being acceptable in a bruise-free game against Brisbane.
  • Matt Crouch had 32 disposals, at 92.6% DE. Not quite sure you can justify an argument that CEY is a better kick given those statistics.
CEY provided a semi-dangerous target when resting in the forward line. I say semi-dangerous, because his kicking for goal let him down. Yes, he kicked 2 goals. He should have had 5 - but his kicking let him down badly (not as badly as Brodie Smith - but badly). He didn't offer a whole lot in the midfield. Considering that the player he replaced (Thompson) was a clearance beast, CEY was a long way short of justifying his selection next week.

There is no way that CEY's selection can be justified ahead of Thompson - even a Scott Thompson who is now well below his best. I can, however, see an argument for selecting CEY ahead of Douglas, maybe.

- CEY didn't play as a pure inside mid, he played the Douglas HFF/inside mid role...at a guess probably 50/50 in each position...this allowed Lyons to play more inside mid which is why he won so much more possession.
- I've responded extensively in another post to how you are oversimplifying matters with referencing disposal efficiency as the be all and end all.

Question: is the very good, very accurate kick for goal that was heading straight through the middle from outside 50 except was touched just on the line because ROB wasn't shepherding like Sauce would have been (forgiven because he is first gamer and we are up by 100points) count as en effective disposal. Answer: No, because it was a point.

My question to you is...does that shot at goal add evidence that CEY is a competent kick, or is it evidence he is a bad kick because on the stats sheet it is marked as ineffective?

By the way, I really don't think he is a great kick. But he is an OK kick, and better than M Crouch, S Thompson, D Talia, McGovern and probably a handful of others. (Thompson is accurate but has no penetration, kicks it up loopy and often makes no attempt to find a target)

Good: Even performance, everything said above.

Bad: Forgive me for being churlish, bad a few systematic things stood out, in addition to those mentioned by many.
Talia should not be allowed to kick backwards or across the ground. His long kicking and goalkicking are good, but he's not a playmaker.
Similarly, neither Crouch should be allowed to be in attacking chains, as their disposal is not good and they interrupt the flow.
Rat should kick it quicker.

Again with the clown talk?

Talia said we needed to finish off the game well after last weeks finish, is he also a clown?

The only clowns I can see are those content with letting the second bottom team kick the last 3 goals and eating into our percentage with 4 games to go.

And the thing is you couldn't even get that into your head, you kept focussing on the 82 point margin.
You stick to the small picture & I'll stick to the big picture... Winning by 82 points losing your ruckman injured & basically playing without your best kpp is a decent result.

Anyone who called our performance poor last week is a clown. feenix67 can make me the cockwomber for the year but I don't care!

This is about our season, not a poor 15 minutes you keep focusing on. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good v Brisbane, R20 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back