AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2022: Geelong give the Swans an 81 point flogging

Winner and Norm Smith?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

...maybe a medal with some kind of dustinguishing difference that recognises their contribution, but I think that should be done at a club level.

There you go EFC. Happy to help.
So a guy plays every game and is integral in them being there and say gets injured in the Prelim to make way for a rookie who’s hardly played (hypothetical) and the rookie is the only one remembered for being part of the premiership? The only one known forever known as a premiership player? Harsher than any other sport in the works imo.

305918330_10221188971490111_4961423839125511253_n.jpg

Anyone that played in 13 or more games during the season including pre-lims, gets the same medal on the day imo.

Gotta be honest. I'm not sure I see the difference between a individual medal and a individual trophy mate.
Not sure I said there was.
All I have said is the winning team gets there GF medal. The the list get (insert here) from the club for being part of the premiership season.

So a guy plays every game and is integral in them being there and say gets injured in the Prelim to make way for a rookie who’s hardly played (hypothetical) and the rookie is the only one remembered for being part of the premiership? The only one known forever known as a premiership player? Harsher than any other sport in the works imo.
Mmmmm... something with a distinguishing difference for those who didn't play. The hypothetical you've described is really harsh. Line would have to be drawn somewhere, so it would always hurt someone.

All I have said is the winning team gets there GF medal. The the list get (insert here) from the club for being part of the premiership season.
Oh you meant GF medal. Right, now your post makes more sense.

I’d have no problem with the AFL issuing a variation of the premiership medallion to players who played at least [insert arbitrary minimum number here] games for the year. They’d not need to call out their names on the dais but just mention/acknowledge generally the players who made a contribution during the year will receive one.

It would be a step above club-issued items as:
  • it would be a consistent standard across the league
  • the general public would be aware
  • lesson the pain for players who just missed out on selection

As an aside, pretty shitty if you ask me that Mills captains the team and accepts the cup if they win but leaves the losers speech to Rampe.

Agree. Rampe spoke well though, was all class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the face of it, I'd agree.
I also noticed that he likes to run ahead of the play & hope his team win the ball.
Had the most clearances on the ground and second most contested possessions to Dangerfield (and only lost out by 1). He is an attacking footballer but he really got his hands dirty.

Was lucky enough to score a late ticket to the game yesterday, albeit in the nosebleeds - which actually was OK, because you could really see what was happening, positionally.

First time I've been to a GF in 25 years, and it was fantastic.

A few thoughts on the game...:-

• Sydney were tougher before the bounce than they were during the game. Particularly Mills, who approached & bumped/pushed about 6 Geelong players + none of them reacted to him, which was interesting.
  • It was clear from the first bounce that if Sydney didn't bring an extraordinary amount of heat, it would be a tough day.
  • At the game, it was obvious to me that Smith should win the Normie. When I watched the replay, I had it line ball between him & Dangerfield (who was HUGE).
  • The sustained roar when Selwood marked the ball with 4-5 minutes to play made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
  • The decision to sign Franklin to another year looked to be an emotional one. He's lost his speed & therefore his edge. He looked like a seconds player yesterday, even considering the average supply.
  • The first 15 minutes of the third quarter was as good as I've seen football played - probably along with Melbourne's last half hour in last year's GF, and the first half of the 1984 Prelim.

Selwood is an absolute champion & deserved to cap his career by captaining a premiership side. What a person & what a player.

Geelong is a fantastic club, and we should aspire to be like them.

I’d have no problem with the AFL issuing a variation of the premiership medallion to players who played at least [insert arbitrary minimum number here] games for the year. They’d not need to call out their names on the dais but just mention/acknowledge generally the players who made a contribution during the year will receive one.

It would be a step above club-issued items as:
  • it would be a consistent standard across the league
  • the general public would be aware
  • lesson the pain for players who just missed out on selection

To get your name on the Stanley Cup (NHL) you have to have played 50% of the regular season games or in one game of the finals.
I think you'd up the game % a bit (to around 14-15 games) but I wouldn't be too upset if the AFL introduced something similar with the premiership medals

I believe in the English Premier League it's about 10 games? Loonerty probably knows better than I though.

Just do rings, for everyone involved in it, either coaching or playing list. You’re only really a premiership player if you play on the day though, can’t think of many players wanting a medal when they didn’t play. Do you think max Holmes feels any better if he has a medal, he wasn’t apart of the 23 that got to run out there, that’s the worst part.

Just do rings, for everyone involved in it, either coaching or playing list. You’re only really a premiership player if you play on the day though, can’t think of many players wanting a medal when they didn’t play. Do you think max Holmes feels any better if he has a medal, he wasn’t apart of the 23 that got to run out there, that’s the worst part.
Can we not do anything American in our game at all ever, please.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2022: Geelong give the Swans an 81 point flogging

Back