Preview Grand Final Mighty Hawks vs Fremantle - 28 September 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rough must stand up in this game

Agree.. He has lowered his colours to Richards and now Harry Taylor in the two finals to date. Albeit he hasn't been awful.. just beaten by good opponents.

But as the Coleman medalist, AA and one of our key play-makers the last couple of years... this is it, he will get another good opponent this week but we need him to rise above that. We need a big game from the Rough!

I don't recall Rough making a significant contribution in any final we've played since we started our march back into regular contention. He doesn't need to kick 5, but he does need to make a contribution this game. It might simply mean kicking those beautiful set shots has has all year. Even if he only gets 3 kicks, if he nails them for 3 goals then that's great. It's one of those morale sapping things when your gun player who has kicked truly all year, all of a sudden starts shanking what should be the gimmes.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Geelong for being the team both Grand Finalists crapped all over to get to the big one.

Freo via the Simonds final debacle.
Hawks via the "Kennett curse".

Agree.. He has lowered his colours to Richards and now Harry Taylor in the two finals to date. Albeit he hasn't been awful.. just beaten by good opponents.

But as the Coleman medalist, AA and one of our key play-makers the last couple of years... this is it, he will get another good opponent this week but we need him to rise above that. We need a big game from the Rough!
I think Roughy did a decent job of taking Taylor away from the play most of the night. Taylor wouldnt have taken too many marks for the whole night. Although Roughy didnt get a heap of the ball (should have kicked 1 goal), by clearing out space it left Hale isolated a lot of the time on a smaller opponent (Rivers, Mackie), and also Gunston was a preferred option.

I would love for Roughy to kick a bag on Saturday (If matched up on Dawson he may well do), but as long as he is contributing the role the coaches assign we cant ask for much more than that.

Anyway thats just how I felt he played Friday night

I think the gloss of the Geelong win has worn off (although it was great seeing it on tv yesterday), Fremantle will be difficult to beat. Even though i was pumping up Hawthorn's chances on the main board yesterday i do realize that it's going to be a tough contest, made harder if Hawthorn are inaccurate in front of goal.

The midfield for both teams will play a large role as to who wins, if Fremantle's midfield are switched on - hopefully Hawthorn's defence will stand up and stop the attack.

While last year will always be big chance lost, if we win the 2013 premiership it should dull the pain a little.
Should we lose, i just hope the players do not lose the desire to compete and succeed.

It's just the pressure to get there. Once you're there, then what will be will be. But you can't win it if you aren't there and the fear that you won't make it is unbearable.

However, coming up against your bogey team in that match just escalated all those feelings of dread. GF week is just about enjoying the ride and hoping we play well enough when it all comes down to it.

My man from Inglewood.

Betting odds are probably the best guide to who will win. I definitely don't think they should be taken lightly. It is very difficult to gauge the form of freo in the second half of the season due to the easy run they had. The way I see it is:

1. They beat Geelong in Geelong. That's impressive. Looking closer though Subiaco and Kardinia Park are practically the same sized ground and added to that is Geelong kicked 9.18. That's terrible.

2. We beat Geelong (only just) when they were deadly accurate 15.7 and we were inaccurate 14.18.

3. Freo beat Sydney at home when they were without Tippett and had several of their midfielders playing with injuries.

4. Freo can't keep up that pressure for 4 quarters.

5. Being such a defensive team and low scoring they very rarely do enough to put the other side away. We are always going to be in with a chance until the final siren.

6. We are playing on the MCG.

Again, not saying we will smash them or anything like that. Just confident we can get the job done. Have to kick straight.

The only reason everyone is jumping on the Dockers is because we lost last year. Had we won last year they would be given little chance. We win this year and watch them blow hot air up our backsides for 12 months.

too right...its just like when the media do their pre-season predictions and most predict the premiers to repeat and "start of a dynasty".
Ignoring the fact that the last team to repeat was the Lions nearly 10 years ago. the only ones who came close were Geelong in 2008 and us in 2011 (although we were cooked by then)

All I care about as a neutral is for a good close game. FWIW my heart says the Hawks but my money is on the Dockers (only because I bet on them to win the flag 6 weeks ago).
The only sure thing about this week is that I'm extremely jealous of Hawk and Docker fans. Enjoy

Agree with your 2 points. We can't get sucked into any of ballantyne or crowley's BS. Hotheads like Jordan Lewis don't get involved in any of their crap and give away silly frees.

Au contraire - he is the one who needs to be in there. Crowley will go to either Mitch or Birch, and Taz is the one I'd be lining up on Crowley from the start. Show em who's boss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Views from a neutral observer
Betting odds are probably the best guide to who will win. I definitely don't think they should be taken lightly. It is very difficult to gauge the form of freo in the second half of the season due to the easy run they had. The way I see it is:

1. They beat Geelong in Geelong. That's impressive. Looking closer though Subiaco and Kardinia Park are practically the same sized ground and added to that is Geelong kicked 9.18. That's terrible. Agreed...but its amazing how little space there is on the MCG on GF day.

2. We beat Geelong (only just) when they were deadly accurate 15.7 and we were inaccurate 14.18.

3. Freo beat Sydney at home when they were without Tippett and had several of their midfielders playing with injuries. Correct

4. Freo can't keep up that pressure for 4 quarters. They don't have to...they only did it for one half against Sydney but that was enough

5. Being such a defensive team and low scoring they very rarely do enough to put the other side away. We are always going to be in with a chance until the final siren. Agreed but its easy to forget the mental and physical exhaustion of opposition teams when facing the Dockers. They may not put sides away but sides rarely put them away either. You also don't mention the defensive pressure the Hawks put on sides either. I think your backline and defensive mid pressure is very underrated.

Again, not saying we will smash them or anything like that. Just confident we can get the job done. Have to kick straight. Got it in one!!

"- Something to worry Hawks fans: Not since 2003 has a team with a defence ranked outside the top four won the flag. Hawthorn is the No.5 ranked defence this year.
- Something to worry Fremantle fans: Not since 2005 has a team with an attack ranked outside the top eight won the flag. The Dockers are the No.10 attack this year."

too right...its just like when the media do their pre-season predictions and most predict the premiers to repeat and "start of a dynasty".
Ignoring the fact that the last team to repeat was the Lions nearly 10 years ago. the only ones who came close were Geelong in 2008 and us in 2011 (although we were cooked by then)

All I care about as a neutral is for a good close game. FWIW my heart says the Hawks but my money is on the Dockers (only because I bet on them to win the flag 6 weeks ago).
The only sure thing about this week is that I'm extremely jealous of Hawk and Docker fans. Enjoy

You would have got some juicy odds on the Dockers 6 weeks ago, are you going to hedge it with a Hawks bet?

IN ADDITION,
Everyone expert tipping is mentioning Freo defeating a tired and walking wounded Sydney.
No one is talking about the HUGE CONFIDENCE we would've taken from defeating GEELONG in a game which counted for everything.

GO HAWTHORN!

Yep, plus don't underestimate the big boost from yesterday's BHH win. Was great to see such a brilliant team effort (loved how they kept comparing it to Freo's the night before lol).

Yep, plus don't underestimate the big boost from yesterday's BHH win. Was great to see such a brilliant team effort (loved how they kept comparing it to Freo's the night before lol).

I'm hoping there was a decent turn out of our players at the game to see it.

I think Roughy did a decent job of taking Taylor away from the play most of the night. Taylor wouldnt have taken too many marks for the whole night. Although Roughy didnt get a heap of the ball (should have kicked 1 goal), by clearing out space it left Hale isolated a lot of the time on a smaller opponent (Rivers, Mackie), and also Gunston was a preferred option.

I would love for Roughy to kick a bag on Saturday (If matched up on Dawson he may well do), but as long as he is contributing the role the coaches assign we cant ask for much more than that.

Anyway thats just how I felt he played Friday night

Quoted for the truth that it is . . .

1. They beat Geelong in Geelong. That's impressive. Looking closer though Subiaco and Kardinia Park are practically the same sized ground and added to that is Geelong kicked 9.18. That's terrible.

3. Freo beat Sydney at home when they were without Tippett and had several of their midfielders playing with injuries.

4. Freo can't keep up that pressure for 4 quarters.

5. Being such a defensive team and low scoring they very rarely do enough to put the other side away. We are always going to be in with a chance until the final siren.

Again, not saying we will smash them or anything like that. Just confident we can get the job done. Have to kick straight.

One of the best summations on the state of the nation and my thoughts exactly - very well balanced post sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back