Preview Grand Final Mighty Hawks vs Fremantle - 28 September 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawthorn has firmed to 1.60 and Fremantle is out to 2.40 in the betting world

Evidently Hawthorn started at 1.65 and Fremantle 2.30

That is despite a probable surge of money towards Fremantle as punters hedge their Hawthorn flag bets...

You wouldn't pick it though

Hmmm at centrebet we have gone from $1.62 to $1.65

Far out I hate how much sporting odds have infiltrated sport like it's somehow got some bearing on the result. It's bad enough when you can't get away from it in the telecast. Who gives a toss!

And on the subject of who gives a toss, screw what the papers have to say. I don't know why people get so riled up about what tripe they write. Enjoy the damn week were in a GF!! Enjoy the moment!

Far out I hate how much sporting odds have infiltrated sport like it's somehow got some bearing on the result. It's bad enough when you can't get away from it in the telecast. Who gives a toss!

And on the subject of who gives a toss, screw what the papers have to say. I don't know why people get so riled up about what tripe they write. Enjoy the damn week were in a GF!! Enjoy the moment!

I'll enjoy it when we win it.

GF week last year was vomit worthy all the Sydney love going around. This year is not much different hance i have abounded most football media for the week.

Odds reflect the weight of money transferring over the result of the fixture. In its purest form it should reflect general sentiment and/or favouritism in the match.

I do agree though, betting is the pits...

Nothing would surprise me with Ross Lyon's and Freo's tactics.It's ironic the AFL 's love for them at the moment when they are trying to sanitise the game yet the crap that Fremantle have come out with this year in an attempt to unsettle the opposition could quite easily take the game back to the days gone by when all- in brawls were common place.Wouldn't care if our boys had to do weeks next year so long as we win this week and don't take any crap from those snivelling pretenders.

Nothing would surprise me with Ross Lyon's and Freo's tactics.It's ironic the AFL 's love for them at the moment when they are trying to sanitise the game yet the crap that Fremantle have come out with this year in an attempt to unsettle the opposition could quite easily take the game back to the days gone by when all- in brawls were common place.Wouldn't care if our boys had to do weeks next year so long as we win this week and don't take any crap from those snivelling pretenders.

If our boys get suspended, the box hill based boys will just come in and take up the slack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake about it......The biggest flood of all time will be on show in our forward line on Saturday.

We've got a lot of guys who can kick a goal from outside 50. A few can even do it off one step with relative ease. A lot of other teams don't share this luxury.

I'm confident we will beat them. We have the players at our disposal that can take it right up to the Fremantle players. Everyone in the media and even commentators keep banging on about Sandilands and his dominance in the ruck blah blah blah, but they fail to mention that Hale impacts the scoreboard each week and wins plenty of the ball, Bailey second and third efforts are outstanding, plus he competes really well around the ground and is a tackling machine. We will hit em hard on Saturday and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Hawks had the hardest FIXture that the AFL could possibly engineer.

The teams we played twice, ladder position
Geelong (2nd)
Sydney (4th)
Collingwood (6th)
North Melbourne (10th)
West Coast (13th)

Teams Freo played twice:
Richmond (5th)
Adelaide (11th)
West Coast (13th)
St Kilda (16th)
Melbourne (17th)

If you don't think that this skews statistics like the one's that you quoted, you're delusional. Consider this opposition and we still kicked 500 more points than Freo in the H&A season. We conceded 300 more points than Freo sure but note that in the two games against Melbourne alone, they conceded only 38 and 40 points.

Until the finals they had not beaten a single team in the top 4. They managed a good win against Geelong in the Qualifying final but were helped by Geelong's inaccuracy (both teams had 27 scoring shots). They then got Swans at their weakest I have seen them for at least 4 years. Still for all their 'dominance' they could only manage 42 inside 50's.

So don't get me wrong. Freo can win this Grand Final, but it will be our doing not theirs. If we take our opportunities and kick our set shots at even just 60% then we will win. However having said that they are definitely a chance if you look at our accuracy against Geelong in the prelim and the Prelim and GF last year, accuracy in finals hasn't been our strong suit.

But all year I have seen a resolve about this group, an extreme level of determination, underlined by the 20 point fight back on Friday night. We will not lay down. We will fight and fight and not leave a thing out on the field. We will back our skills but we also know how to put our heads over the ball and make the other team earn it. If they think they can pressure us, they will learn a lot about pressure this Saturday. We will strangle them like they have never been strangled before.

Mate that post got me fired up. All day I been hearing shit from coworkers that Freo will kill us. They are a top side littered with stars. But our hawks are better. If we reach even 80% we will smash em.

This group of players should have won at least 3 flags I felt. That loss in 2012 bloody hurt. The only way to heal that wound is by winning 2013. Also, 2014. Loss, win, win. Has a nice ring to it. I'm not going to even contemplate losing. We are going to win. After beating Geelong like that, we can beat anyone.

Mate that post got me fired up. All day I been hearing shit from coworkers that Freo will kill us. They are a top side littered with stars. But our hawks are better. If we reach even 80% we will smash em.

This group of players should have won at least 3 flags I felt. That loss in 2012 bloody hurt. The only way to heal that wound is by winning 2013. Also, 2014. Loss, win, win. Has a nice ring to it. I'm not going to even contemplate losing. We are going to win. After beating Geelong like that, we can beat anyone.

Last time we lost a GF we won back to back. Sydney broke a tackle record last year (110) and we were still in the game at the end. You deserve what you get and we got this

Fremantle did suprisingly well wihtout Sandilands and Pav for most of the season, and cannot therefore be underestimated now that those two are back. Also, they have quite a few speedy (if skinny) players.

On the other hand, McFarlane seems to be carrying a serious injury, and our offensive talls are likely to cause serious challenges for them. They are likely to have to defend with more players running into our attacking 50, giving us the edge as they game wears on and they tire. Even if they have a small lead at 3Q time, we will get them. Thing to avoid is letting them get a lead like they did against Sydney, as they have the discipline to then slow the game down.

All this talk about the Freo press and how well it works at Subi and then at the Cattery . . . well no doubt punters have already had a look at this but here is a list of the relative differences in the ground lengths and widths with respect to the G. There is a pronounced difference between the G and Subi/Skilled grounds - the question is how much of a difference does it make and how significant is the extra width? Observers will note that Aurora is almost the same width and a tad longer. Methinks bodes well for our kicking spread game (as opposed to the Cats handball spread game).

ground-sizes.jpg

[Last time we lost a GF we won back to back. Sydney broke a tackle record last year (110) and we were still in the game at the end. You deserve what you get and we got this[/quote]

Nice. Loss, win, win. 1987 - 89. Hawks are a mad team to watch, win or lose we do it with style. It's full of guns: most tough, some flamboyant. If they click on the day, they will beat any team on this land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back