Opinion Has the world ended

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but don't forget we also lost to Sydney not once, but twice. And what if David Mundy's kick after the siren v Geelong was a goal and not a behind? As for St. Kilda, there's a conspiracy theory going around that all our boys caught a nasty flu bug before the game and played crook. Injuries? Feel you. But I've come to accept that no team EVER is at full strength, which reinforces the need for Freo and every other team to have depth.

Speaking of acceptance, in the end, we just have to accept this very sad fact: us winning the flag this year just wasn't meant to be. :(

Yep it was sad indeed. Oh well, season is over now. Bring on the nfl!!

Why would you expect that ? Tonight was a contest between a young side on the way up and a team that has peaked and needs to reassess/rebuild its list, including some coaches/fitness regime. This game said plenty about Fremantle and its lack of respect for its opposition.

Control those dicks of yours. Evidently one of them can type.

Last edited:

True, but don't forget we also lost to Sydney not once, but twice. And what if David Mundy's kick after the siren v Geelong was a goal and not a behind? As for St. Kilda, there's a conspiracy theory going around that all our boys caught a nasty flu bug before the game and played crook. Injuries? Feel you. But I've come to accept that no team EVER is at full strength, which reinforces the need for Freo and every other team to have depth

That's sort of true, but should also point out/notice that Port were playing at full strength, as were Sydney last week. North would be close to full strength too (Hansen is the only one I'd see coming into their starting 22). Even Hawks, who've done very well to cover all year, are now playing with all but one or two of their best 22.

It's no accident that the healthy clubs do well this time of year. It's a brutal sport, and all the teams that make it this far are quality, and if you can't get your guns onto the park you will get shown up.

Having said that, don't want to sound like I'm making excuses - we were still in positions to win both our finals. But at the same time, reality is it's hard to go deep into finals when you're nursing your way through.

Last edited:
All well and good beefman but what does it matter when you are dealing with a ******* corrupt sporting body.
It is so ******* easy for the campaigners to manipulate this competition. It is ridiculous.

Fred I concur with peoples views about how the competition is manipulated in favor of the clubs the AFL feel they need. Until there is a viable alternative for a break away competition nothing will change. Our lot is to overcome the obstacles placed in front of us and show then up for what they are. We either accept it or find an alternative that meets ones needs. I'm sure most professional sporting bodies aspire to being AFL like organisations.

It's a brutal sport, and all the teams that make it this far are quality, and if you can't get your guns onto the park you will get shown up.

Having said that, don't want to sound like I'm making excuses - we were still in positions to win both our finals. But at the same time, reality is it's hard to go deep into finals when you're nursing your way through.

I accept what you say, Papa J, to a point. As you rightly say, the game is brutal, thus calling the need for every club to amass talented depth. However, I'm a firm believer that under great adversity, such as in the case of significant injuries, extraordinary teams find ways to overcome and rise above. Regrettably, our 2014 edition Freo boys didn't prove themselves extraordinary, as we all hoped and dreamed they'd be, after an unforgettable 2013.

Yep it was sad indeed. Oh well, season is over now. Bring on the nfl!!
\

Ha, ha. While I'm American and live in America, my footy obsession has turned me off of the NFL. I'll check in with the NFL in December, when the playoffs are on. Besides footy, I'm a lifelong Major League Baseball fan, so the playoffs are soon coming up. I'm fast becoming a proponent of the Aussie expression, that I'll paraphrase: "There are two seasons -- this footy season and waiting for the next one."

\

Ha, ha. While I'm American and live in America, my footy obsession has turned me off of the NFL. I'll check in with the NFL in December, when the playoffs are on. Besides footy, I'm a lifelong Major League Baseball fan, so the playoffs are soon coming up. I'm fast becoming a proponent of the Aussie expression, that I'll paraphrase: "There are two seasons -- this footy season and waiting for the next one."

We'll have to 'Aussie' you up a bit more and get you into the Cricket. We'll get you following the 20/20 first and before you know it you'll be on the couch for five days cheering us on as we dismantle the poms... well maybe not.

We were cooked after the stuffed up travel and the hard slog in the mud in Sydney
Losing Balla,Johnson,Silvagni,Barlow wounded and Ibbo going down with a shoulder in the last quarter.
This was Sydney last season ,cooked before their last game.They jumped back,so will we
Its not end of the world stuff,just a season with to many speed humps

I accept what you say, Papa J, to a point. As you rightly say, the game is brutal, thus calling the need for every club to amass talented depth. However, I'm a firm believer that under great adversity, such as in the case of significant injuries, extraordinary teams find ways to overcome and rise above. Regrettably, our 2014 edition Freo boys didn't prove themselves extraordinary, as we all hoped and dreamed they'd be, after an unforgettable 2013.

All good Gil if not naive. The adversity extends to corruption. I know you watched the game fix Geelong / Fremantle which they then followed up with the Carlton stitch up against Geelong.
The administrators had to have two Victorian teams in the top four and Fremantle were going to spoil their party despite the many injury setbacks and tribunal interventions to that point. Geelong had to finish top four; and so it was.
So, it is rousing stuff to do the Ira Hayes thing but the truth is clubs like Fremantle are severely handicapped to serve contrived outcomes.

All well and good beefman but what does it matter when you are dealing with a ******* corrupt sporting body.
It is so ******* easy for the campaigners to manipulate this competition. It is ridiculous.

I don't subscribe to the corrupt comp, I think the AFL worship 2 things $'s and expansion.

The draw isn't straight, however this is again due to $'s and the fact that so much of the comp is in one geographic location.

The MRP is inconsistent and stupid - yes, however it is not a vendetta against us.

We could of won a flag last year but we were not good enough. We could of beaten St K and North and we are top of the ladder this year.

The greatest gift Lyon will instil and I pray make a permanent part of our club culture is being a no excuses Football Club. Umpiring, draws, MRP - skills, decision making and being totally dedicated to the contest are all that matter.

When I coached Bball every game I would write with an art line RNE on every players arm ....it stands for Results Not Excuses, if you give your players and yourself an excuse - you won't get better.....it is only by accepting this and living it that you give yourself the chance to succeed. The uncontested lay up with the player looking to the ump is the team's fault not the 50/50 call, Mundy may not of chopped the arms 1st Qtr but he was undisciplined in giving the ball back....each action on the field has an impact - we want to improve by focussing on what you control and what you can improve on.

Lyon even put his hand up to say he should of locked down on Wines earlier, and when asked about injuries said it wasn't mentioned at half time, so why at the end of the game? Our group can identify weakness and get better or it can be devastated ....these are the right words for me to hear.

If we get the right players up (and luck is part of this) and enough buy in from the group - we are blessed to be watching successively the best Freo teams we have ever seen. It's based on a formula of repeatable success too, so whilst I'm pissed off about losing, this fire will either spur them on or melt them ....I am sure we will come again at the next contest.

The factor that we must learn to control is a top 2 finish. Other than St Kilda - we did everything we had to against the lesser/developing clubs ....we needed to take 1 away from home against the more fancied or not get dacked by the Roos. From WA if you finish top 2 - the tyranny do distance becomes a friend (if you're good enough).

We all have our views, and I respect you Fred and the others who hold different outlooks. This is just my opinion and in Ross we have a wonderful leader - it might be Kool Aid but I'm still drinking it.

/book

Last edited:
I don't subscribe to the corrupt comp, I think the AFL worship 2 things $'s and expansion.

The draw isn't straight, however this is again due to $'s and the fact that so much of the comp is in one geographic location.

The MRP is inconsistent and stupid - yes, however it is not a vendetta against us.

We could of won a flag last year but we were not good enough. We could of beaten St K and North and we are top of the ladder this year.

The greatest gift Lyon will instil and I pray make a permanent part of our club culture is being a no excuses Football Club. Umpiring, draws, MRP - skills, decision making and being totally dedicated to the contest are all that matter.

When I coached Bball every game I would write with an art line RNE on every players arm ....it stands for Results Not Excuses, if you give your players and yourself an excuse - you won't get better.....it is only by accepting this and living it that you give yourself the chance to succeed. The uncontested lay up with the player looking to the ump is the team's fault not the 50/50 call, Mundy may not of chopped the arms 1st Qtr but he was undisciplined in giving the ball back....each action on the field has an impact - we want to improve by focussing on what you control and what you can improve on.

Lyon even put his hand up to say he should of locked down on Wines earlier, and when asked about injuries said it wasn't mentioned at half time, so why at the end of the game? Our group can identify weakness and get better or it can be devastated ....these are the right words for me to hear.

If we get the right players up (and luck is part of this) and enough buy in from the group - we are blessed to be watching successively the best Freo teams we have ever seen. It's based on a formula of repeatable success too, so whilst I'm pissed off about losing, this fire will either spur them on or melt them ....I am sure we will come again at the next contest.

The factor that we must learn to control is a top 2 finish. Other than St Kilda - we did everything we had to against the lesser/developing clubs ....we needed to take 1 away from home against the more fancied or not get dacked by the Roos. From WA if you finish top 2 - the tyranny do distance becomes a friend (if you're good enough).

We all have our views, and I respect you Fred and the others who hold different outlooks. This is just my opinion and in Ross we have a wonderful leader - it might be Kool Aid but I'm still drinking it.

/book

Inspiring stuff Moo however the Geelong Fix and the Sydney fix up last week is evidence against your argument.
They needed geelong in the top four and the AFL business plan is having Sydney, deep in finals, every year.
There is only so much we can control.
Believe me, I am so close to turning my back on all this. My health is suffering and it shouldn't be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good Gil if not naive. The adversity extends to corruption. I know you watched the game fix Geelong / Fremantle which they then followed up with the Carlton stitch up against Geelong.
The administrators had to have two Victorian teams in the top four and Fremantle were going to spoil their party despite the many injury setbacks and tribunal interventions to that point. Geelong had to finish top four; and so it was.
So, it is rousing stuff to do the Ira Hayes thing but the truth is clubs like Fremantle are severely handicapped to serve contrived outcomes.

Fred, your argument is compelling. Believe me, American professional sports are littered with corruption, from MLB's turning the other way on the illegal steroid usage in the '90s to the NFL and NHL burying their heads in the sand about brain damage suffered by players due to multiple concussions, the NBA allowing racist owners to exploit and demean players and now, in the NFL's case, turning a blind eye to domestic violence perpetrated by players.

Like you, I was outraged by the amount of free kicks Geelong were awarded against us in that game in Simonds and I sat in disbelief at the MCG for the Grand Final when we were endlessly pinged for this thing and that, while Hawthorn weren't.

What I perceive as the most unfair thing in the AFL, though, is access to talent and recruiting new players, but that may be more a product of circumstance and culture, rather than corruption.

Here's what I mean, which I've written before: If, say, 55% of MLB clubs were based in Los Angeles (equivalent to 10 of the 18 AFL clubs based in Victoria), it'd be nearly impossible for competing clubs in other states to lure away top-tier talent in trades or free agency. With AFL teams not allowed to trade players to competitors without the players' consent and non-Victorian teams forced to throw boatloads more money to Victorian free agents, so they can uproot their families and cope with the high cost of living, how could Freo, if it wanted to, substantially overhaul its list (not that I'm advocating that)? Our list needs some improving and there are some players who we might want to de-list and players on other clubs we might want to trade for. (Can we send Colin Sylvia back to a Victorian club? :p) But seriously, I'm not expecting any dramatic changes in the list, therefore, I wonder how much -- if at all -- we improve or regress next year.

As for Ira Hayes?

Sorry, mate. Only guy I know by that name is a character in an old Johnny Cash song!:)

Wanna enlighten me?

Fred, your argument is compelling. Believe me, American professional sports are littered with corruption, from MLB's turning the other way on the illegal steroid usage in the '90s to the NFL and NHL burying their heads in the sand about brain damage suffered by players due to multiple concussions, the NBA allowing racist owners to exploit and demean players and now, in the NFL's case, turning a blind eye to domestic violence perpetrated by players.

Like you, I was outraged by the amount of free kicks Geelong were awarded against us in that game in Simonds and I sat in disbelief at the MCG for the Grand Final when we were endlessly pinged for this thing and that, while Hawthorn weren't.

What I perceive as the most unfair thing in the AFL, though, is access to talent and recruiting new players, but that may be more a product of circumstance and culture, rather than corruption.

Here's what I mean, which I've written before: If, say, 55% of MLB clubs were based in Los Angeles (equivalent to 10 of the 18 AFL clubs based in Victoria), it'd be nearly impossible for competing clubs in other states to lure away top-tier talent in trades or free agency. With AFL teams not allowed to trade players to competitors without the players' consent and non-Victorian teams forced to throw boatloads more money to Victorian free agents, so they can uproot their families and cope with the high cost of living, how could Freo, if it wanted to, substantially overhaul its list (not that I'm advocating that)? Our list needs some improving and there are some players who we might want to de-list and players on other clubs we might want to trade for. (Can we send Colin Sylvia back to a Victorian club? :p) But seriously, I'm not expecting any dramatic changes in the list, therefore, I wonder how much -- if at all -- we improve or regress next year.

As for Ira Hayes?

Sorry, mate. Only guy I know by that name is a character in an old Johnny Cash song!:)

Wanna enlighten me?

images

Google it Gil for the full story;

Inspiring stuff Moo however the Geelong Fix and the Sydney fix up last week is evidence against your argument.
They needed geelong in the top four and the AFL business plan is having Sydney, deep in finals, every year.
There is only so much we can control.
Believe me, I am so close to turning my back on all this. My health is suffering and it shouldn't be.

The Geelong fix is I presume playing @ Kardinia Park? ....it pooped me (though I went) - however they did finish higher than us and so it was their right to have that game where they wanted.

Sydney fix - are we talking the plane ?

/book
We are not in an even comp. That's corrupt. We had our chance last year but barely got to play at the MCG against a team who was playing on their home ground. We were not allowed to train there or even have goal kicking practice. We often get sent to places like Launceston because we are not a high drawing club, which just increases the travel burden. Sydney the top team, are about to get a top 5 draft pick for about pick 20 this year through the academy. There is an even better player they will be getting for next to nothing next year (if the rules don't change) and added to that they will be getting a F&S. They bought an extra million $ player with money that was supposed to be distributed among the players to help them with the cost of living in Sydney. Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS are also going to be given extra academy player assistance to help them accelerate their move into the top 8. Why should they accelerate up the ladder faster than anyone else? You can waffle on about how this helps with expansion all you like but all of this stuff corrupts the competition to give more support to some clubs at the expense of others. Therefore, the competition is rigged and has very little credibility. And if that isn't enough most of the afl state clubs have had more money taken off them to prop up this distorted system. All it means however, is that we have to be even smarter, than the system is corrupt. Go get em Bondy.

Honest question do you guys realise your premiership window is shut now?

I'm not even sure you know what that means?

Explain it to us.

Who do we lose? McPharlin, Gumbleton, Keplar & Simpson.

Sandi and Pav a year older.

There will be growth from Neale, Crozier, Taberner & Planet.....and we will likely add a player via FA/trade, then we will go to the draft again.

If they start to get Son Son through the midfield that might be the greatest move we can make.

Serious question for you ....can you even see your premiership window from where you are?

Honest question do you guys realise your premiership window is shut now?

That is
The Geelong fix is I presume playing @ Kardinia Park? ....it pooped me (though I went) - however they did finish higher than us and so it was their right to have that game where they wanted.

Sydney fix - are we talking the plane ?

No I am talking about the H&A fixture four weeks ago which was immediately followed by stitching up Carlton the following week against Geelong.
Fremantle would have taken 2nd spot and Port 4 th. Geelong were headed for 5th spot which would have destroyed the first finals week in Melbourne.
And No, obviously not the planes.
The Sydney fix was the umpiring, in particular the no penalties against Franklin and missed frees to Fremantle. There were many.

Struck by one very big thing -- the title of this thread, "Has The World Ended?"

I know and appreciate that it was meant tongue in cheek, but all we have to do is think back to the pre-match ceremony at Patersons, before playing Carlton. There was a commemoration for three Dockers members for whom the world did end -- Mo, Evie and Otis Maslin, the children onboard MH17, shot out of the sky last month over the Ukraine.

For them, unlike our beloved footy club, there is no preliminary final, no Grand Final and no next season.

I don't at all mean what I'm about to say as a criticism -- I'm as heartbroken as the rest of you -- or a lecture, but as solace for all of us: this semifinal loss is a huge disappointment and we all may be "tragics," but it was not a tragedy.

Still, I totally get the range of emotions, from the tears to the cursing. We deeply love our club. For the last eight months, from the NAB Challenge until yesterday, we've fully invested our minds, hearts and souls in our club's fortunes.

But let's think of the investment Freo fans Rin Norris and Anthony Maslin, the children's parents, made and had in their three children. The club's loss last night is no comparison.

article-2714566-2028D5C000000578-713_634x450.jpg

Post of the year. Kudos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Has the world ended

Remove this Banner Ad

Back