Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re going to see longer term contracts as a general rule of thumb because due to better management players are going to be having extended careers. This is a trend that’s already developing. 30 is not the footy death sentence it once seemed.

Clubs are going to be willing to bet they can keep their best going for longer.

I see Hopper came out today and “ nominated “ Richmond as his club of choice . I might be reading this wrong but IMO that can only mean he ends up there or if the deal falls through he stays at GWS because surely no club with any self respect would bring him in knowing they were next best and not first choice . Would’ve been better on the players behalf to remain quiet and see how it plays out .

No offense to you personally, but we're generally sick of seeing other people expect us to hand over valuable players for well unders.

We did it to ourselves, largely, when we let Lewis and Mitchell go for nothing...but a lot of it comes from Kane Cornes type bullshit, that the Hawks have nothing, and are desperate to hand over anyone over 25 for absolute peanuts.

Even some on this board seem to believe it, but the majority of us don't.

If the Pies believe Mitchell could be part of an improvement that takes them closer to a flag..what is that worth?
The logic behind recruiting Mitchell to the Pies seems more focussed on filling an immediate need - not sure the Pies board sees it as the missing link in a realistic tilt at a flag. There's a clear need at the Pies for someone to compete in clearances - the Pies have Adams and then a bunch of inexperienced/emerging mids that may need more time, those that have an appetite for the recruitment of Mitchell would only be interested if we could get him for well under the expectations on this side of the board - he's seen as on a par with candidates like Setterfield, Fiorini, Dow, etc.

I think we almost have the right amount of young talent, but we lack senior talent now.

Omaera, wingard, Mitchell aren't exactly top end in all seriousness

We really don't. Using 24 as a cut off age we have 4 top 20 picks compared to freo 10. I havent looked into other teams because freo's list build is who we should tracking. We have at least another 3 years of trying to hit the draft hard to have the talent. Bringing in players through Free agency and nailing late picks helps but we are desperate for elite young talent .

The logic behind recruiting Mitchell to the Pies seems more focussed on filling an immediate need - not sure the Pies board sees it as the missing link in a realistic tilt at a flag. There's a clear need at the Pies for someone to compete in clearances - the Pies have Adams and then a bunch of inexperienced/emerging mids that may need more time, those that have an appetite for the recruitment of Mitchell would only be interested if we could get him for well under the expectations on this side of the board - he's seen as on a par with candidates like Setterfield, Fiorini, Dow, etc.

LOL

I see Hopper came out today and “ nominated “ Richmond as his club of choice . I might be reading this wrong but IMO that can only mean he ends up there or if the deal falls through he stays at GWS because surely no club with any self respect would bring him in knowing they were next best and not first choice . Would’ve been better on the players behalf to remain quiet and see how it plays out .

Clubs would still be interested in getting him, if the Tigers can’t deliver. He would still be interested in negotiating with other clubs if he can’t get to Richmond.

No different to Daniher requesting a trade to Sydney a couple of years ago. Was forced to stay with the scum, but took up free agency with Brisbane. Things can change pretty quickly.

A very strange move by Tigers to give 2 players that people wouldn't rate in the best 30-45 players in the league and give them such long contracts.

I think Dimma has lost his way.

I think ego has taken over his clear thinking.

Taranto is not a match winner.

It has Brad Hill written all over it.
I agree they aren't top 45 currently, but I can absolutely see a world where both build into that top echelon over the next few years.

Both struggled to overcome some persistent injuries and certainly not their final forms just yet.

Richmond have a clear need for them, and a pretty decent medical team. They could genuinely be getting two future AA level players if not AA squad. But having said that, Rich don't necessarily need them to be any of that as they seem to value the team over the individual outside of Dusty.

Great pickups for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's seen as on a par with candidates like Setterfield, Fiorini, Dow, etc.

Unless the expectation was that those teams to fork out half of those players' salaries to let Collingwood 'take' them, it would seem Tom Mitchell is actually seen as about HALF as good as those players..

Last edited:
The league is so even I wouldn’t waste any opportunity for a flag. If you are in the 8 you aren’t that far away. I’d take Henry off your hands for Mitchell. Maybe some pick swapping. Negotiate wages etc. as you don’t have a second, the other option is to downgrade your first to our second.

I don’t get all this ‘if I’m not your first choice why would I want you’ stuff.. It’s a competition and a business, if you can’t get your ‘plan A’ you go to ‘plan B’ if it still improves you. People are acting like going/coming to your second choice means you won’t try or be appreciated.

I'm convinced with Hill in the right team he's an A Grader. He was great at Freo - it's the Saints who can't get the best out of him.
Disagree - IMO Brad has lost the hunger and drive he had in his early twenties. Physically he looks to be several kegs heavier than he did when he was with us - as an outside winger this significantly impacts your ability to run an carry for four quarters. He can still turn it around but he has set himself up for life and seems very content with just maintaining the status quo re his current performances

Disagree - IMO Brad has lost the hunger and drive he had in his early twenties. Physically he looks to be several kegs heavier than he did when he was with us - as an outside winger this significantly impacts your ability to run an carry for four quarters. He can still turn it around but he has set himself up for life and seems very content with just maintaining the status quo re his current performances
100% my feel, as well.

Good on him, but not a player I'd be looking to buy at big salary cost & (possibly) big trade cost*.

*They could give him away for not much, just to clear cap space, but the original point stands.

Ralph saying Gunner wants another week to make a call. Doesn't sound good to me.
Disagree, the fact he is unsigned still made it clear he was at least considering leaving, this gives me more hope that he is genuinely weighing it up.

Ralph is one of the biggest Hawthorn haters around, wouldn't believe anything he says
I don’t think that’s true at all. He join hawks insiders last year at the end of the trade period. And gave a really good account of how well Hawthorn had handled the period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back