Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else surprised that we haven't been chasing more contested mids in this trade period?

It's such a glaring hole in our list profile and usually there are plenty of these types of players not getting a regular gig at their current club you can get on the cheap (think Jarrod Lyons going to Brisbane).

Especially if Mitchell goes we will be even weaker in the contested ball and we were already absolutely awful at it.
No really, remember that its a touch under a month away that the period opens so more might come to light closer

We might be bullish about developing contested mids from newc, Nash and Finn, complimented by ward, MacDonald and pick 6. We need development time but looks like we might be willing to take some short term pain in pursuit of developing from within.
Newk I can see already he is a true inside/out player who can win contested ball when he needs to.

All the others though (maybe with the exception of Ward) don't seem to be true contested ball players.

Nash is a utility, Finn a tagger, Macdonald a HFF/mid utility (from what I have seen so far).

If Mitchell goes that leaves us very, very light on for contested mids and we will be in for some serious pain.

He was injured the last two seasons predominantly - I don't think there were high offers coming in. I could be wrong, but I don't remember hearing Gunston trade talk - mainly Breust and also Wingard last season also.
Was definitely interest in him over the past 2, he did not want to go.

Coming off that B&F year was the year to cash in if he wanted to move on, i would hope he would stick it out with us now.

Newk I can see already he is a true inside/out player who can win contested ball when he needs to.

All the others though (maybe with the exception of Ward) don't seem to be true contested ball players.

Nash is a utility, Finn a tagger, Macdonald a HFF/mid utility (from what I have seen so far).

If Mitchell goes that leaves us very, very light on for contested mids and we will be in for some serious pain.
We are already in pain, we are getting smashed as is. It may be better for us, who knows if the kids may perform better in the role. We have Worpel and O'meara as experienced bodies to be the leaders. The young guys may just be better.

So any exciting youngster coming out of contract at Tigers will demand the same type of dollars as these 2.
You have created a rod for your own back.
3 years in and the form tapers off.....watch the tiger faithful come hard .
Contracts like this unsettle a playing group.

There are plenty of youngsters with plenty of upside at tigers.

If their form is superior to these 2 look out.

Buyer beware I say.
How much are they paying Shai Bolton? I'd be locking him in for 7 years.

So any exciting youngster coming out of contract at Tigers will demand the same type of dollars as these 2.
You have created a rod for your own back.
3 years in and the form tapers off.....watch the tiger faithful come hard .
Contracts like this unsettle a playing group.

There are plenty of youngsters with plenty of upside at tigers.

If their form is superior to these 2 look out.

Buyer beware I say.
Name some playing groups that has had issues due to this?

It is either rare or it just doesn't happen.

I've already got a Landcruiser (well, a Lexus LX). The Pies are just looking on the used car lot for something cheap - don't care if it's got high kilometres and an engine that's almost shot, just looking for something that will get us by until the new car that's on order arrives and the car in the work-shop is ready. What you've got has been on the lot for a long time, there's no shortage of them, it's surplus to your needs, has been neglected and used for spare parts and played out of position due to a newer car being available - that's not a strong bargaining position.
My suggestion to you the next time you buy a car is to get someone else to because your'e terrible it. Graham Wright would know full well Tom Mitchell's worth and what has gone on with him being player out of position.

I've already got a Landcruiser (well, a Lexus LX). The Pies are just looking on the used car lot for something cheap - don't care if it's got high kilometres and an engine that's almost shot, just looking for something that will get us by until the new car that's on order arrives and the car in the work-shop is ready. What you've got has been on the lot for a long time, there's no shortage of them, it's surplus to your needs, has been neglected and used for spare parts and played out of position due to a newer car being available - that's not a strong bargaining position.
Graham, I think you've forgotten that you worked here and Mark knows all of your tricks......

It would hurt a lot more knowing clubs were willing to trade for him over the past 2 years where we could have cashed in and now we will receive nothing for him.
What you are saying isn't exactly true. Teams wouldn't have given up much for him last season as he was coming off of back surgery. It's only been this season that he's looked like being back to his normal self. Either way you cut it it will hurt losing him if he decides to move on.

Is anyone else surprised that we haven't been chasing more contested mids in this trade period?

It's such a glaring hole in our list profile and usually there are plenty of these types of players not getting a regular gig at their current club you can get on the cheap (think Jarrod Lyons going to Brisbane).

Especially if Mitchell goes we will be even weaker in the contested ball and we were already absolutely awful at it.
How do you know that we're not?

Connor Mac an inside mid his entire junior career.

Worpel might come good.

Finn has scope to keep improving and become a ball winner.

Cupboard not completely bare. Just needs 2 of that list to come good and we'll be fine. Finn already has the frame to be an inside mid, and he was in his junior career.

We'll see by the end of next year at a guess, at least in terms of what the direction will be with this three and whoever else will be around to get rolled through there.

Not suggesting that Mitchell isn't a good fit - he's a great fit for the Pie's immediate needs, but only at the right price. Will be interesting to see if this trade progresses.
Dude you're not very good at this bartering thing. Why the hell are you on the Hawthorn Big Footy Hypothetical thread if you don't think the Pies are interested in him is what I'd like to know?

The next thing you'll be saying is we don't want Tom but we do.

This is how you're coming across 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My suggestion to you the next time you buy a car is to get someone else to because your'e terrible it. Graham Wright would know full well Tom Mitchell's worth and what has gone on with him being player out of position.
Can't be that bad at buying cars, I've got four them! Brought 3 of them in the past 4 years - it's the getting rid of them that I struggle. Yep, GW will have a handle on the Mitchell value proposition. From today's press, it looks like the Pies are shifting focus to Fiorini, so that might be your answer. Can't help thinking that inside Mids is a buyers-market right now - will be interesting to see how this ends up.

DGB going no where
We wont be doing any pick slides with WC
Stop the DGB innuendo
DGB was always only a concoction of this board.

I think the only pick slide mentioned by the media involved Brockman...which seems too stilted in our favour, to be honest...

The logic behind recruiting Mitchell to the Pies seems more focussed on filling an immediate need - not sure the Pies board sees it as the missing link in a realistic tilt at a flag. There's a clear need at the Pies for someone to compete in clearances - the Pies have Adams and then a bunch of inexperienced/emerging mids that may need more time, those that have an appetite for the recruitment of Mitchell would only be interested if we could get him for well under the expectations on this side of the board - he's seen as on a par with candidates like Setterfield, Fiorini, Dow, etc.
haha okay now we can see either you're a troll or clueless...

Dude you're not very good at this bartering thing. Why the hell are you on the Hawthorn Big Footy Hypothetical thread if you don't think the Pies are interested in him is what I'd like to know?

The next thing you'll be saying is we don't want Tom but we do.

This is how you're coming across 😂

Not sure you're very good at the comprehending thing - I've not bartered anything - haven't even proposed anything. Just wanted to get a sense of what this side of the board thought of a Mitchell trade - which some have provided and comparing the banter from the Pies board and the banter here, there's a big gap between the two positions. Just observing and asking - whenever I do negotiate, my golden rule is to always be prepared to walk away - bye

The logic behind recruiting Mitchell to the Pies seems more focussed on filling an immediate need - not sure the Pies board sees it as the missing link in a realistic tilt at a flag. There's a clear need at the Pies for someone to compete in clearances - the Pies have Adams and then a bunch of inexperienced/emerging mids that may need more time, those that have an appetite for the recruitment of Mitchell would only be interested if we could get him for well under the expectations on this side of the board - he's seen as on a par with candidates like Setterfield, Fiorini, Dow, etc.

C’mon mate… Mitchell spent half the year playing on a flank and still had more clearances than any player on Collingwood’s list.

To give you some perspective, Mitchell still had more clearances this year than players like Petracca, Wines, Viney, Mills, Brayshaw, Zerret, Guthrie, Steele, Parish, Walsh etc…

The guy is ball winning freak and would walk in and be your best ball winner from day one, something Collingwood is dreadful at… to say he is seen as “on par” with players like Setterfield and Dow is a ridiculous take.

How do you think the reception would be if Hawthorn posters were on the Collingwood board saying we’d take Grundy for a 4th rounder if Collingwood pay 60% of his salary. 29 next year, injury prone ruckman with poor disposal who is on the outer being pushed out of the club…. should be seen as on par with players like Callum Jameison.

What you are saying isn't exactly true. Teams wouldn't have given up much for him last season as he was coming off of back surgery. It's only been this season that he's looked like being back to his normal self. Either way you cut it it will hurt losing him if he decides to move on.
That is why i said 2 years, he was coming off a B&F 2 years ago.

Even last year we would have gotten more of a return. He didn't want to leave, i would hope he still feels that way.

C’mon mate… Mitchell spent half the year playing on a flank and still had more clearances than any player on Collingwood’s list.

To give you some perspective, Mitchell still had more clearances this year than players like Petracca, Wines, Viney, Mills, Brayshaw, Zerret, Guthrie, Steele, Parish, Walsh etc…

The guy is ball winning freak and would walk in and be your best ball winner from day one
, something Collingwood is dreadful at… to say he is seen as “on par” with players like Setterfield and Dow is a ridiculous take.

How do you think the reception would be if Hawthorn posters were on the Collingwood board saying we’d take Grundy for a 4th rounder if Collingwood pay 60% of his salary. 29 next year, injury prone ruckman with poor disposal who is on the outer being pushed out of the club…. should be seen as on par with players like Callum Jameison.
The annoying thing about things like this is if Mitchell was let go for a 3rd rounder everyone will then want to sh*t on us when he goes back to his normal averages by saying how did you let him go for such a poor return 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back