Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:
Good pick up “Loins” . But can you give me some examples of free agency moves that clubs haven’t been “dicks” about? And by that I mean have excepted a token pick for a free agent.

Hodge bungled his free agency - but we let him go for a pick in the 70s essentially.

We also gave Adelaide a future fourth for Hartigan to not upset our Smith compensation.

I feel that The German Hunter should be in this part of the thread
It all started at underage Stylus, I can’t remember what happened for the next 20 or so years but somehow I have 3 kids…..
At least I think there mine

Hodge bungled his free agency - but we let him go for a pick in the 70s essentially.

We also gave Adelaide a future fourth for Hartigan to not upset our Smith compensation.
Hodge essentially retired from us ( no contract offered ) so I doubt the club would of been expecting anything for him. Hartigan’s trade value would of only been a fourth rounder anyway, so we paid market value!

Hodge essentially retired from us ( no contract offered ) so I doubt the club would of been expecting anything for him. Hartigan’s trade value would of only been a fourth rounder anyway, so we paid market value!

No worries - you can go about the trade period thinking a team that needs to horde picks is going to give us a second round pick for a 31 year old free agent. You may be slightly disappointed when that doesn’t pan out.

It all started at underage Stylus, I can’t remember what happened for the next 20 or so years but somehow I have 3 kids…..
At least I think there mine
I knew you wouldn't disappoint
No worries - you can go about the trade period thinking a team that needs to horde picks is going to give us a second round pick for a 31 year old free agent. You may be slightly disappointed when that doesn’t pan out.
If and only if Gunston wants to go and they need to trade (for McStay compo and picks to get f/s)... Gunston+2nd round for their future first. We then have 2 firsts next year

Surely the smart play by brisbane would be to trade next years picks for gunston. I’d take next years second for gunston and our 3rd this year. Hawthorn get an ok pick, brisbane get points this year and a gun for 2/3 years as he winds down. I also wouldn’t rule geelong out either. Stays in Victoria, plays at a contender, reunite with smithy. Probably kicks 50 for them. They were after curnow so wouldn’t surprise me if they pulled this shit

Surely the smart play by brisbane would be to trade next years picks for gunston. I’d take next years second for gunston and our 3rd this year. Hawthorn get an ok pick, brisbane get points this year and a gun for 2/3 years as he winds down. I also wouldn’t rule geelong out either. Stays in Victoria, plays at a contender, reunite with smithy. Probably kicks 50 for them. They were after curnow so wouldn’t surprise me if they pulled this s**t
If Melbourne don’t ask the question they have rocks in their head

Correct - after what Jack had given this club and has been through of late we aren’t going to be dicks if he chooses to go to Brissy. We’ll cop some random late pick and cut our losses. Brisbane have way too much on their plate to be charitable and give us a usable pick for a FA.

The thing is, they’re somewhat stymied because they have to trade if they want compensation for losing McStay (which they definitely want).

We don’t have zero leverage here - it might be the difference between a ‘token’ pick and a third-rounder, for instance.

If Melbourne don’t ask the question they have rocks in their head
I think I put that in the gunston thread early on that they should grab gunston and Breust and that would lock in the next 2 premierships. Suddenly their main weakness (f50 efficiency) becomes one’s of their strengths. Gunston and Breust are forwardline geniuses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way we win from anything Gunston related is if he stays

If he leaves we will get nothing of any significance for him.

If he goes to a club as a free agent we will get nothing

If a team like Brisbane trade for him it will be for next to nothing

The only way we win from anything Gunston related is if he stays

If he leaves we will get nothing of any significance for him.

If he goes to a club as a free agent we will get nothing

If a team like Brisbane trade for him it will be for next to nothing
Agreed.
Expect nothing.
Brissie may give up a 4th rounder at best.

Agreed.
Expect nothing.
Brissie may give up a 4th rounder at best.
Fine, let them sign him as a FA then.

But they don't want that as it'll dilute their McStay compo.

So, if they want to trade for a player that we seemingly want to keep, why should they dictate terms?

We shouldn't be dickheads about it, but we sure as s**t shouldn't lose out of it. There's easily a win/win to be gained here - why you lot want to 'roll over' on this one is beyond me...

Fine, let them sign him as a FA then.

But they don't want that as it'll dilute their McStay compo.

So, if they want to trade for a player that we seemingly want to keep, why should they dictate terms?

We shouldn't be dickheads about it, but we sure as s**t shouldn't lose out of it. There's easily a win/win to be gained here - why you lot want to 'roll over' on this one is beyond me...

If he refuses a Hawks contract does he end up a delisted free agent? Or can you only be delisted if the club doesnt offer a contract?

We let Hodge and Birch go with little fuss. Why would we do it with Gunston ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back