Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks' revival hopes

Matt Murnane

May 29, 2012

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-revival-hopes-20120528-1zfdh.html

"Wallace, a dual best-and-fairest winner at Hawthorn, said the most pressing issue was the midfield balance and whether the club could continue playing four tall defenders in the one team."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-revival-hopes-20120528-1zfdh.html#ixzz1wCL4mvrl

Great article. Problem with 4 tall defenders in the one team... couldn't agree with you any more! And as for midfield...

Matt Murnane thinks Breust is a midfielder ??

Apart from that not a bad article ... I would like to see Guerra or Puopolo rotated through the midfield if the midfielders are getting done .. just doesn't seem to be much creative thinking from the coaches box on gameday anymore ... have plan A let's stick with it !

(Ayres to the middle) :thumbsu:

Apart from that not a bad article ... I would like to see Guerra or Puopolo rotated through the midfield if the midfielders are getting done .. just doesn't seem to be much creative thinking from the coaches box on gameday anymore ... have plan A let's stick with it !

I would like to see Goo play up forward, remember he was a forward crumber when he was at the Saints and a dam good one....

Clarko sticks to his game style with out trying different things when we are falling behind.

I would like to see Goo play up forward, remember he was a forward crumber when he was at the Saints and a dam good one....

Clarko sticks to his game style with out trying different things when we are falling behind.

Agree -can play forward as well - Guerra is a versatile player who is tough and can kick very well -- not enough thinking on their feet from the coaches box.

What is the good of having a plethora of versatile players when they play in the one position and have the one role all the time :confused:

Suggested the same thing myself in the 'Hawks vs Roos - Changes and stuff like that' thread.

But probably makes too much sense. ;)

Not sure -- certainly wouldn't hurt to rotate him through the midfield -- but he certainly wasn't there on the weekend and can hardly be placed in the category of midfielders who let the club down on Saturday v Richmond.

I had my concerns about playing 4 tall defenders but seemed to be on my own with that one...reckon Wallace may be, dare i say it, right :eek: One of Schoey, Gilham or stratts might just have to make way for some more run. Will be interesting to see if we continue with 4 tall defenders and if we do, how it progresses over the next few weeks. Personally, 3 of them + Birchall is plenty for mine.

I had my concerns about playing 4 tall defenders but seemed to be on my own with that one...reckon Wallace may be, dare i say it, right :eek: One of Schoey, Gilham or stratts might just have to make way for some more run. Will be interesting to see if we continue with 4 tall defenders and if we do, how it progresses over the next few weeks. Personally, 3 of them + Birchall is plenty for mine.

I had Cheney in for Gilham requested also. Against Westcoast, with us only playing one ruckman (Hale), I can understand going in with the 4 talls as Schoe is a flexible player that can be moved up the ground. But against Richmond, in the wet, Nahas/King/Edwards.....

Obviously the brains trust of one spent the entire week trying to figure out how our midfield was going to stop Cotchin/Deledios/Martin and Clarko forgot to read Luke Beveridge email that clearly stated 3 KPD's could beat the Richmond forwards this week, so we could play Guerra/Poppy together in the back half to provide ground support and rebound.

The major problem is we keep trying to find "make-shift midfielders" to fill a midfielders role....
if you get what im saying.

Key to revival. Buddy and rough forward line. Cyril forward. Pops back line. Hale out mac in. Need pace bring in Hill. Schneider needs a game soon. Rest Mitch or Sewell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key to revival. Buddy and rough forward line. Cyril forward. Pops back line. Hale out mac in. Need pace bring in Hill. Schneider needs a game soon. Rest Mitch or Sewell

See, I would have agreed with you on Saturday about Rough forward, because when he was down there, we had another target. In fact I was yelling out for it to happen most of the game.

However, the reason he rucked so much was because we weren't winning clearances. He also drifted down back in parts to help out the defenders because of how often the ball was going in.

In reality, we actually need 3 Roughies.
That would definitely help our revival hopes.

I had my concerns about playing 4 tall defenders but seemed to be on my own with that one...reckon Wallace may be, dare i say it, right :eek: ....

I was in the 4 semi tall defenders was too many camp. Will have to change my opinion as it aligns with Wallets. What was I thinking?

I do love the view that we have too many talls so we should play Goo up forward. Brilliant.

Conan to the middle!

Like the term "put the cat among the pigeons"

Ah, they were the days! :)

Hawks' revival hopes

Matt Murnane

May 29, 2012

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-revival-hopes-20120528-1zfdh.html

Great article. Problem with 4 tall defenders in the one team... couldn't agree with you any more! And as for midfield...

Maybe this could be fixed by moving Schoey up the field, or maybe even play him as a sub? I don't like Popeye as a sub - he should have enough match fitness now to play the whole game.

Is it worth trying Schoey on a wing or HFF?

Stratton is 190cm, Chris Judd is 189cm. But i'll pay that he does have strength. Birchall should be given a run through the midfield in a ruck/rover role. Definitely skillful enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

News "Hawks' revival hopes" - An article with some insight from Terry Wallace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back