Preview Hawks vs Pies - Discussion and changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
real-coleman-medal.jpg

NS_hodge_a.jpg

Should be a good game this one. You guys are setting up a lot differently to recent previous encounters. Will be interesting to see if the Hawks still score as easily as they have one with the new set up for the pies. Will also be interesting to see how Lake goes against Cloke which we have not seen yet.
Yep, agree with all points. :thumbsu:

And I'm not confident with the Lake/Cloke matchup. Despite beating the Bulldogs convincingly for years now, Cloke has never been able to get off the Lake leash. And Brian is looking the fittest he has been in probably three seasons. Will be another cracking matchup, and one that will probably determine the result. If Cloke is held to 1 or 2 goals, then we'll be in a bit of trouble.

Having said that, he kicked 5 in the QF last year and we still got pumped. :p

Nothing more certain than Bailey coming in. If he was not right then he wouldn't be emergency. Clarko believes we are a better team when he's 1st ruck. Only reason why I think he could be left out is if it's wet. Even then.....

Hodge would be my guess. But it could also be Birch, Buddy or even Gunners. Who knows
Correct again SG, Bails will be in if the rain stays away, Hodge isnt going to play after missing only 1 week with a cracked thumb. Even if we drop this match we will be getting game time into birch, whitex is getting better, cryil will get better, shiels can get a bit more run in the legs at box hill and we can have a fit skipper next week. I expect to lose tonight but win our next 2 to finish first or second and peak for sept with touch wood our best team (less suckers and schoe).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you don't think this will affect the pies as well!!
Hawks have 1 gameplan, precise ball move movement
If its a hurricane blowing, or bucketing down, the same game plan happens
It's the 1 thing that shits me with Clarko, the total belief in his gameplan, regardless of weather.
Collingwood are better in poor weather than good weather for footy
Worrying if the weather is windy/raining as it suits Pies, not us

Are you serious?
Certainly Lynch has played some poor games since moving to the Pies, but the last 2 weeks his improvement and presence have been a contributing factor in the Pies resurgence or improvement. Along with a few others.
My post was in response another post.

I'm not saying Lynch is going to dominate and win the game for the Pies. Nothing like it.
He is not the forward he was, but.....you cannot simply ignore a player even like Lynch if he is inside the forward fifty. He is just as likely to kick a bag as any player in space in the fifty.
Anyway, getting really pumped for what I hope is a "classic"match tonight.
Best of luck to the Hawks boys and no injuries.

Go Pies!:thumbsu:

Certainly Lynch has played some poor games since moving to the Pies, but the last 2 weeks his improvement and presence have been a contributing factor in the Pies resurgence or improvement. Along with a few others.
My post was in response another post.

I'm not saying Lynch is going to dominate and win the game for the Pies. Nothing like it.
He is not the forward he was, but.....you cannot simply ignore a player even like Lynch if he is inside the forward fifty. He is just as likely to kick a bag as any player in space in the fifty.
Anyway, getting really pumped for what I hope is a "classic"match tonight.
Best of luck to the Hawks boys and no injuries.

Go Pies!:thumbsu:

Lynch is in the side for the Pies to give Cloke some help up forward and to make one of the opposition defenders accountable so that Cloke isn't always against two opponents, plus Lynch provides a contest to bring the ball to ground for the small forwards and is a good hit up player up the ground and providing some relief in the ruck. He basically is like a decoy in some way. Much like Podsiadly from Geelong.

I never ever use this expressions but seriously,

LOL

No doubt you do not watch Collingwood games over, after the heat of battle, or likely even watch every Collingwood match, but Sinclair's run out of half back, his attack on the ball and ball carrier as well as his willingness to back himself through traffic have all vastly improved and were important in Collingwood's wins over Essendon and Sydney. I'm not claiming he's AA, or anything like it, but he has shown exactly the improvement in two clutch matches, any coach would love to see in any young player, who had and still has plenty of deficiencies.

It's not like Collingwood's recent good form is down to any one player. It's incremental improvement across the board which adds up to a better, more competitive side and the self belief that improvement brings, and a few important wins, is extremely important this time of year.
Surely you'd agree?

Hawthorn may very well burst that bubble, but that's footy.
You have to go in confident your best can get you over the line and our boys seem to have that mindset.

The problem is Hawks don't know if Pods or Hawkins is the decoy, and both cause damage
The Pies biggest issue up forward has been, since everyone worked out how to shut down Dawes,that Cloke has largely been a lone hand inside fifty as far as tall go. Lynch was brought in to alleviate that a little and it did not really work. With Reid being released from backman duties, Keeffe taking his traditional role and both actually performing in their new roles, Cloke is finding himself one out more and more, especially as this has left Lynch toperform a role his age and abilities are better suited to.

AS I said,incremental improvement across the board.
Lynch has improved, Reid is thriving as a forward, Keefe is thriving as a back and Cloke has beneiftted no end as a result. If we could only get his conversion up.:(
That;s just the forwards.
Backs, mentioning Keefe again, he has been very good since he came back in from injury.
Midfield, the return of Beams and Ball has free both Sidebottom and Blair up to fill their normal roles and both have improved their effective input as a result
Sinclair's switch down back has allowed Harry to play more effectively on a wing, in the absence of the still injured Dale Thomas, and his run along with Marley Williams great form down back has freed up Heath Shaw to play a more active role running the ball up the ground.
Brown got a bit of a toweling from Tippett last week, but it has to be acknowledged that Bauckley made no attempt throughout the whole game to have a third man up on him at all, Maxwell, the traditional player of this role instead providing yet more run out of attack and defending more or less across the back of the center square.

This setup as any Hawks supporter would know leaves the Pies exposed to the long kick over the top and has been a bit of an Achilles heel in our games v Hawks of late, but certainly in both the Dons and Swans games Buckley seemed willing to back the forward and midfield defensive pressure to mitigate any major scoreboard pain coming back in that direction, which
is exactly what eventuated.
Tippett got six, made Brown look a little fragile, one on one, but in the end played virtually a lone hand up forward.
The side which last faced the Hawks is nothing like the side which will run out tomorrow night, both in makeup and attitude.

As I said, let's hope it's a great game.

The Pies have far more on the line and I hope they play accordingly.

In his regular AFL.com column, Lethal reckons it's Smithy that the Pies have to shut down, rather than Mitch or Hodgey. Fair point - I reckon Isaac is in career best form and is our chief runner.

Hey Pie eyed
Is that a deliberate reference to something under your user name, or a misspelling?

Avoiding the pogrom?
Deliberate reference.
Related to my displeasure in the classification of and discrimination against any group for what ever reason.

In his regular AFL.com column, Lethal reckons it's Smithy that the Pies have to shut down, rather than Mitch or Hodgey. Fair point - I reckon Isaac is in career best form and is our chief runner.
Smith has been mentioned as a key to attempting to shut down the Hawks during analysis the last three weeks.
He's a good player and early in his career I likened him to Tuck...the Tuck. has that look, has the gate and without having a vivid memory of what Tuck was like very early in his career, his reminds me Tucks playing style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back