Preview Hawks vs Pies - Discussion and changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughead agility will be what exposes Brown. I just don't think he can match Roughead in the air or at ground level.

I would not be judging Brown on the Tippett match up. The umpires murdered him and the delivery in the first half was very hard to stop. I think Brown will do well on Roughy.

I would not be judging Brown on the Tippett match up. The umpires murdered him and the delivery in the first half was very hard to stop. I think Brown will do well on Roughy.
Roughead has been taking pretty much everyone to the cleaners all year.

Roughead has been taking pretty much everyone to the cleaners all year.

Roughhead is a seriously good player but may be a better match up for Brown. If we can continue our recent form this game should be a cracker.

Brown was poor against Tippett, the height difference was clearly something that worried him and as a result he overplayed the contact to try keep Tippett from being able to fully extend and jump at the ball. I expect Brown will do a much better jobn against Roughie. Roughies work rate will test Brown and his first 10-15m agility when the ball hits the ground would be the biggest concern for Brown.

I seriously hope we come to play for this game, it's getting close to the end of the year and we need to start getting our shit together approaching the finals.

Out: Grimley - Spangher - Gunston (if inj.)
In: Bailey - Buddy - Anderson

Suspect Hodge is a week away, Shiels probably needs another week at Box Hill, Birchall will be close but can't see him playing either. I'd be happy if Grimley got another crack in a blockbuster clash just to see how he handles himself. Got himself a little lost and out of position against the Saints however to be fair our ball use and breaking of lines was terrible so many players seemed lost at times.

Hope to see Collingwood win tonight then get so far ahead of themselves that we pump them by 10 goals again.

Seriously though, I think they will try to flood us and cramp us.

Hope you are right. They did beat sydney, now can we pump them by 10 goals? if we pump them then we must have a mental edge or hold on them. Seeing the form they were in, their spread, work rate and knowing right positions to run at was great. The problem we have is except Mitchell our midfield is not firing, Lewis/Sewell are not firing. We have injuries to our most important players in Hodge/Franklin/Birchall and then we have a few out of form in Rioli/Bruest. I would love to know how we have been winning in past and how we will win this Friday Night. From memory, we have monstered them at the clearances and denied them the ball. The other problem is if Reid starts forward we don't have another big backman to go to him, luckily he did not kich straight, neither did cloke (Lake should get job).

I know Collingwood have no one to defend the small forwards, but surely Bruest can be rested? Give Osborne a game if his body is ok?

See ya later, Hill.
This is not the case anymore. Marley Williams is a beast 1v1 and he, Sinclair and Goldsack are all very good at covering the space when the ball gets over the back of the press. Williams and Sinclair as little defenders also frees up Heath Shaw so he won't have to be playing as defensively. Defending small forwards is nowhere near as big an issue as it has been in the past.

Hope you are right. They did beat sydney, now can we pump them by 10 goals? if we pump them then we must have a mental edge or hold on them. Seeing the form they were in, their spread, work rate and knowing right positions to run at was great. The problem we have is except Mitchell our midfield is not firing, Lewis/Sewell are not firing. We have injuries to our most important players in Hodge/Franklin/Birchall and then we have a few out of form in Rioli/Bruest. I would love to know how we have been winning in past and how we will win this Friday Night. From memory, we have monstered them at the clearances and denied them the ball. The other problem is if Reid starts forward we don't have another big backman to go to him, luckily he did not kich straight, neither did cloke (Lake should get job).
This pretty much sums it up. We finally have someone to tag Mitchell though, Macaffer has done pretty well at this all season and completely shut down Jack last night.

The last month is the first time in two years that Pendlebury, Swan, Ball, Beams and Sidebottom have all played in the same side together so hopefully that makes a difference because we have been well beaten by Hawthorn in the midfield the last 3-4 times we played. Luke Ball is the key because when he plays he does most of the inside grunt work that allows Swan and Pendlebury the freedom to get into more dangerous positions.

Hawthorn also defended really well against the old Malthouse kick around the boundary line game style which we still used throughout 2012. We've ditched this and have since changed the way we attack a lot to incorporate a lot more switches and direct play through the centre of the ground. It's had some pretty ordinary results especially early on the year but the sides starting to get more accustomed to it so I'm pretty optimistic that this Friday will be a lot closer than the last few encounters which has basically gone Maxwell bombs long around the boundary to Cloke, Gibson spoils, Burgoyne picks up the ball, kicks over the press to Rioli, goal. :(

In Franklin, Birchall, Bailey
out Grimley, Spang, Sewell

With Birch back, Bruger moves into the middle to replace Sewell. Franklin in for Spang (stiff, though he was good last night), Bailey for Grimley. Spang to come back in if Gunston needs a week off.

Shiels and Hodge in the week after.

No changes for final round.

win 3 finals and Win flag

So simple :rolleyes:;)

Love seeing the Pies winning games and getting themselves pumped up. Will be even greater watching them lose next week. There aren't too many games throughout the year that I'm overly confident on but the Pies and Bombers are always booked marked as wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown got smashed by Jeremy Cameron the week before. That's not to say he may do well against roughy but like always, it will depend on what happens up the ground.

Lets face it, the Brown twins are not very good. Buddy destroys both of them every time. Unfortunately, I doubt Buddy will play. Never heard of a 1 week hamstring before. Last year's 1 weeker turned into 6.

Reckon Hawks will have their work cut out. Finals campaign starts Friday night. Hope Saints game was the lull before the storm.

Bud very doubtful,
Hodge has had surgery, very doubtful,
Birch hasn't played for 8 weeks very doubtful.
Gunstan coach reckons he is right so means he will miss.

Shiels will play. Need a lockdown player v Pies.
Bailey will play.

Shiels and Bailey in, Grimley and maybe Whitecross to miss.

Doesn't instill much confidence in me. Tough game.

Out: Grimley - Spangher - Gunston - Hill
In: Bailey - Buddy - Anderson - Shiels

Bailey replacing Grimley is a no brainer.
So is Buddy replacing Spanger
Anderson replaces Hill on the wing.
Shiels needed as a tagger so he comes in for injured Gunston.

Birchall gets match fitness in VFL

Collingwood were very good last night. They were clean with the ball especially, in close and ran in packs. Great to watch, difficult to beat and helps when Pendlebury and Swan are playing blinders (I'm sure they would have been none too happy with everyone rating the Swans midfield as best in the comp). Interesting stats that there wasn't much between the teams in terms of clearances and contested possessions. I think Buckley is doing very well with the team he is building and they certainly seem to have a swarm of small running types. Still, their backline got shown up by one man show Tippett and not sure they can hold Rough and Buddy for 4 quarters. Also, think our backline can hold up better than Sydney last night but Shiels and Anderson look like definite ins for mine as need to match up with their mids and run. Saw bits of the BH game yesterday and Anderson impressed with his chase and tackling. His tackling was a highlight.

FB: Stratton Lake Guerra
HB: Sewell Gibson Duryea
C: Smith Mitchell Hill
HF: Whitecross Franklin Savage
FF: Burgoyne Roughead Rioli
Rucks: Hale, Lewis, Puopolo
IC: Breust, Spangher, Simpkin, Grimley

In: Franklin Shiels Anderson
Out: Spangher Gunston (inj) Hill (omit)

- If Bailey is still ruled out with injury Grimely stays as the second ruck option. He has some serious attributes but his football brain is almost non existent, for a player with his athletic attributes he didn't offer anything near what I thought he was capable of doing defensively through pressure acts and tackles. Lowden has had 2 very promising games he may be in contention.

- You would think Hale is due for a rest very soon, he's been thrashed of late due to Bailey missing.

- Hill is seriously soft, its a fair predicament the club has, we are desperate for his run and carry and yet he's an absolute liability when the ball is in a neutral position or defensively, if one of the links of the chain isn't pulling its weight it opens up the rest of the side to be exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back