Preview Hawks vs Pies - Discussion and changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did Hill do wrong? He seems to be the least favoured of our senior players atm.
He had 12 disposals in little more than a 1/4 of footy. Why would he be left out?

He actually has good levels of composure for a kid so new to AFL.

- Hill is seriously soft, its a fair predicament the club has, we are desperate for his run and carry and yet he's an absolute liability when the ball is in a neutral position or defensively, if one of the links of the chain isn't pulling its weight it opens up the rest of the side to be exploited.

There is a definite ambivalence about Hill. There was one moment on Friday night where he just stood there gazing when he should have been at the contest. I think he realised what he had done (or not done), albeit all too late. Here's hoping he can unlearn this habit quickly. I still think his upside outweighs his lack of intensity at the contest. Sydney was beaten by run and carry last night as was Geelong last week (and against Adelaide) and Hill gives us that.

What did Hill do wrong? He seems to be the least favoured of our senior players atm.
He had 12 disposals in little more than a 1/4 of footy. Why would he be left out?

He hasn't done anything wrong. He might be rested given the miles in his legs, but I don't see him being dropped.

Run the 6 man rotation through the forward line as we have always done against the Pies. Create separation on the Collingwood backmen, isolate and away we go. Would love to see Heath Shaw, Maxwell and Harry O one on one. While the Pies are in good form, their backline always cops an absolute shellacking against us, particularly when we go small. They would have to belt us in the midfield to win.

Run the 6 man rotation through the forward line as we have always done against the Pies. Create separation on the Collingwood backmen, isolate and away we go. Would love to see Heath Shaw, Maxwell and Harry O one on one. While the Pies are in good form, their backline always cops an absolute shellacking against us, particularly when we go small. They would have to belt us in the midfield to win.
The way our midfield is travelling that ain't impossible.

His offensive game is sound, but in saying that I have seen him pull out of contests at the first sign of body contact and he refuses to chase and tackle at times. I'm worried for him come finals football.

Lets face it, the Brown twins are not very good. Buddy destroys both of them every time. Unfortunately, I doubt Buddy will play. Never heard of a 1 week hamstring before. Last year's 1 weeker turned into 6.

Reckon Hawks will have their work cut out. Finals campaign starts Friday night. Hope Saints game was the lull before the storm.

Bud very doubtful,
Hodge has had surgery, very doubtful,
Birch hasn't played for 8 weeks very doubtful.
Gunstan coach reckons he is right so means he will miss.

Shiels will play. Need a lockdown player v Pies.
Bailey will play.

Shiels and Bailey in, Grimley and maybe Whitecross to miss.

Doesn't instill much confidence in me. Tough game.

We played them without Buddy and Hodge last year and pumped them. Buddy had hamstring tightness - will expect him to play after a rest.

Birch has been training fully for the last 2 weeks - expecting him to be named this week. AA defender won't need a run at Box Hill - maybe play him as the Sub?

Collingwood are a great side when they get their inside game going, however this is not a part of their game that troubles the Hawks. The last four times we've played them its been the same story - their mids have had heaps of the ball, but their defensive structures have not been able to handle our kicking game or our small forward structure. It's about them being able to stop the hawks forwards from scoring.

Round 3, 14 Apr 2013 MCG Collingwood defeated by Hawthorn 90-145 D. Swan 33
Qualifying Final, 7 Sep 2012 MCG Hawthorn defeats Collingwood 135-97 B. Sewell 32
Round 17, 21 Jul 2012 MCG Collingwood defeated by Hawthorn 91-138 D. Swan 49
Round 1, 30 Mar 2012 MCG Hawthorn defeats Collingwood 137-115 S. Pendlebury 33

I'm really looking forward to this one though - hopefully the boys will be up for it and build on the Essendon game.

FB: Stratton Lake Guerra
HB: Sewell Gibson Duryea
C: Smith Mitchell Hill
HF: Whitecross Franklin Savage
FF: Burgoyne Roughead Rioli
Rucks: Hale, Lewis, Puopolo
IC: Breust, Spangher, Simpkin, Grimley

In: Franklin Shiels Anderson
Out: Spangher Gunston (inj) Hill (omit)

- If Bailey is still ruled out with injury Grimely stays as the second ruck option. He has some serious attributes but his football brain is almost non existent, for a player with his athletic attributes he didn't offer anything near what I thought he was capable of doing defensively through pressure acts and tackles. Lowden has had 2 very promising games he may be in contention.

- You would think Hale is due for a rest very soon, he's been thrashed of late due to Bailey missing.

- Hill is seriously soft, its a fair predicament the club has, we are desperate for his run and carry and yet he's an absolute liability when the ball is in a neutral position or defensively, if one of the links of the chain isn't pulling its weight it opens up the rest of the side to be exploited.

Dipper, you named Anderson as an 'IN' but he is not in the 22?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guerra - Lake - Stratton
Duryea - Gibson - Burgoyne
Smith - Mitchell - Shiels
Savage - Franklin - Bruest
Rioli - Roughead - Hale

RR: Bailey - Lewis - Puopolo

Bench: Simpkin - Whitecross - Hill
Sub: Birchall

In: Birchall, Bailey, Franklin, Shiels
Out: Gunston (Rest/Inj), Spangher, Grimley, Sewell

If Gunston was just a corkie - put him on the bench for Hill

In: Anderson, Franklin, Birchall
Out: Grimley, Hill, Simpkin

Grimley has great athletic capabilities but his football brain is non existent. If he can sort that out, he will be a player. Franklin will cause Collingwood all sorts of problems. Don't expect much from Birch.

No love for Simpkin Phil?

Think the Pies are a big shake on Friday. I think we should be just favorites though. Too many if's to give definite ins and outs but I'd love for Ando to get another go. Was so good against them last time. Hope Buddy and Gunners come up but don't risk them if they aren't. Spangher is no good. He tries hard but simply not up to this level imo. Don't mind Grimley however but if Bailey is back then he makes way. Think Hodge will be fine. Tape it up and ready to go!!

Ideally this is what I want to see but I doubt it will happen

In: Buddy, Hodge, Ando, Bailey, Shiels
Out: Spangher, Grimley, Hill (if it's wet). Not sure about the rest

Midfield is what worries me. Our mids are fading out this year and theirs are hitting their straps. I think Buddy and Gunston playing is key as it will force Reid to stay back when Buddy gives Keefe or Brown a bath! Hopefully anyway haha.
Really unsure with the Pies this year. A few weeks ago they lost to GC and nearly lost to GWS but since then have smashed Essnedon and Sydney. Who knows which side will turn up. Lake to take Cloke

Win this and we will get Top 2 for sure even if we lose the last 2 I think.

Go Hawks!!

Collingwood were very good last night. They were clean with the ball especially, in close and ran in packs. Great to watch, difficult to beat and helps when Pendlebury and Swan are playing blinders (I'm sure they would have been none too happy with everyone rating the Swans midfield as best in the comp). Interesting stats that there wasn't much between the teams in terms of clearances and contested possessions. I think Buckley is doing very well with the team he is building and they certainly seem to have a swarm of small running types. Still, their backline got shown up by one man show Tippett and not sure they can hold Rough and Buddy for 4 quarters. Also, think our backline can hold up better than Sydney last night but Shiels and Anderson look like definite ins for mine as need to match up with their mids and run. Saw bits of the BH game yesterday and Anderson impressed with his chase and tackling. His tackling was a highlight.

70 more clearances, 20 more inside 50's and 10 more scoring shots, if we had of kicked straight would have been a 50 pt margin instead..

Also think your back line can hold Cloke & Reid for 4 qtrs? Who is going to hold our midfield from your team??

Questions, questions, questions.

70 more clearances, 20 more inside 50's and 10 more scoring shots, if we had of kicked straight would have been a 50 pt margin instead..

Also think your back line can hold Cloke & Reid for 4 qtrs? Who is going to hold our midfield from your team??

I have a question for you

What are you doing here ? Piss off & crap on your own board.

You haven't watch many of the last 5 odd times we have played you have you.

Don't see how we can possibly win if we let players like Swan and Pendlebury get it 35+ times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back