Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what drives me crazy. We had a week off. But like in 2012 vs Adelaide we came out and looked like we had run a marathon 3 days earlier and hadn't touched a footy for 6 months, skills wise. If we make the finals again ;) I don't want to have the week off, if this is the trend.
And when you think port would be stuffed at the end of the game, we were the one looking tired.
Help, I don't get it!
It's ok. We were in the middle of a hard training block....

I'm hoping this game was the result of us playing a unique opponent with so many smalls and their exciting running game.

Spangher was useless because he had no opponent to play on, he is only good as a negating tall defender and when all he had to play on was a 5'8 speedster Clarkson had to resort to hiding him in the forward line. If he plays on a big lug like Reid he'll be back in his comfort zone.

My hope is playing a more traditional setup which Sydney have will help quite a few of our players who were confused at times with what Port were doing and who they were playing on.

Turn it up sunshine!!! If you think Shoenmakers is coming in then you need your head read. He could not even get a kick at VFL level.

And there were plenty more in front of Spang that had terrible games, Pop, Bruest, Gunston, Hill, Silk just to name a few. If it was not for Rough, Langers and Hodgey, we would have been in a world of hurt!!

Yeah but al those blokes usually DON'T have terrible games. Spangher on the other hand serves up the same "lose your feet and watch your opponent run off your prone sitting form" every week. He needs to learn that if he doesn't mark t he has to keep his feet. He spends way too much time on the ground. Leigh Matthews would never have picked him in the side it's one of his biggest pet hates.

I'm hoping this game was the result of us playing a unique opponent with so many smalls and their exciting running game.

Spangher was useless because he had no opponent to play on, he is only good as a negating tall defender and when all he had to play on was a 5'8 speedster Clarkson had to resort to hiding him in the forward line. If he plays on a big lug like Reid he'll be back in his comfort zone.

My hope is playing a more traditional setup which Sydney have will help quite a few of our players who were confused at times with what Port were doing and who they were playing on.

That is a very pertinent observation in my opinion.

There is a genuine surprise factor about Port Adelaide. Couple it with their undoubted quality, their belief and that they're very well coached, and you have an unpredictable opponent. With the Swans, while they have undoubted quality, and are also very well coached, I reckon we know how we'll line up, how the game will be played. In short: it's a known quantity. Doesn't make it any easier to win, because we'll have to be right on top of our game, but it's a different challenge than what Port presented.

Yeah but al those blokes usually DON'T have terrible games. Spangher on the other hand serves up the same "lose your feet and watch your opponent run off your prone sitting form" every week. He needs to learn that if he doesn't mark t he has to keep his feet. He spends way too much time on the ground. Leigh Matthews would never have picked him in the side it's one of his biggest pet hates.

Watch the game again. I'll have Spang over Shoey any day of the week. At least he has a red hot crack!

Watch the game again. I'll have Spang over Shoey any day of the week. At least he has a red hot crack!
there's no doubt he's better than schoey atm, but he's still a liability.

Kudos to the Hawks who I am hoping get up this week. So, first of all good luck fellas. I really hope you get over the Swans and I think you will.

As for Saturday, I thought Port played super in the first quarter but burned chances to be further up. I think much of this was pressure and composure which I hope comes from more experience in big finals such as prelims. You guys kicked straight and hit targets in the middle 2 quarters and played really good effective and skillfull finals footy.

We got so close in that last term but it was not to be. I think both fans have rights to be upset with some decisions by the umpires, but on balance and through the eyes of a neutral I think they evened themselves out.

How good is Roughie... Hodge is just a gun and I loved Langfords game as well. Obviously, there were many other good players, but these were the three that stood out for me from your side as a Port fan.

I really loved my seats in the Olympic stand and the Crowd was awesome. There was a Port fan behind me who, if he didnt get kicked out i was going to deck him myself. I was in section M53, I wonder if any of you saw it ...

Good luck next week, and I really see Hawthorn as a team whom Port should aspire to be like.

Hey, Arsene
So you're an expert on AFL footy and you can't get Arsenal right?

Spend some money, mate, buy a good defensive midfielder and a couple of centre backs.

W
Hey, Arsene
So you're an expert on AFL footy and you can't get Arsenal right?

Spend some money, mate, buy a good defensive midfielder and a couple of centre backs.

We have Flamini and Arteta who are very capable defensive midfielders, plus Ospina has shown in 5 a side games in training that he can provide back up in the defensive midfield area... As for centre backs, we have lots of cover, especially since Steve Bould is back in training.....

haha - was trying to convince you that i was actually AW...

This is what drives me crazy. We had a week off. But like in 2012 vs Adelaide we came out and looked like we had run a marathon 3 days earlier and hadn't touched a footy for 6 months, skills wise. If we make the finals again ;) I don't want to have the week off, if this is the trend.
And when you think port would be stuffed at the end of the game, we were the one looking tired.
Help, I don't get it!
You'd think the week off would help . But your right Port were really still firing only seconds to go. Don't know whether its us or not but we seem to have that prelim battle all the time. As soon as the game started we looked off! Its happened before, its got to be in the heads of the players. There is so much precision in Hawthorns style and roll playing by each individual that I reckon a week off takes them a whole game to get back into it .
I really am confidant that it will be a whole different set up this week coming.
In fact win or lose I'd rather have Sydney than Port. Port have something developing there, they like playing us , that's a worry just in itself, they give themselves the win before the game in their heads , and would have won Saturday except we were able to broach the gap and hold on most of the match.

In the head I think we were gone in that last minute or so. Won't be that way this week, engines back on.

Port finished well but so did Freo last year. I wouldnt predict Port will be world beaters next year. We saw how good they were this year when they had about 2 blokes out. They have some gaps. Lobbe fell over with no help. Carlisle is a spud. Cornes is finished. They had no one out last week. Let's see how they go with 6-7 of their best 10 out like we did for most of the year.

Jesus, you are right!

We must keep the faith.
The club know better than us as to who they will put out there on Saturday, I don't know how Lewis is , I think he stays out if there is a fraction of doubt, it is really that deadly against Sydney.
I hear that McEvoy and Sewell were taken out of the Box hill game. Is that correct? If it is then Clarko has his Sherlock Holmes brain operating .
He has ideas popping up everywhere. Cyril , how well did he go? I'm a long way off over here and heard about a 20 second grab on TV about that .
The Sandgropers remove themselves from anything football if they are out. Understandably I guess.

So I think Clarko has a few plans to put in place. Rioli usually is on fire first back. Who knows.

Buddy will be very worried , "won't you young fellow" . Ha ha ha ha that's my evil laugh.

Just watched the last 2 minutes (again)on the Hawks app. Was there on the night so of course you have a different perspective. I'm sure this was covered. But a few thoughts.
1. Spangher held (port players back to the ball) free kick against for high contact and then advantage to PA.
2. In the back on Roughhead... PA player never hit the ground. Yes brought forward in tackle. Not in the back. 50/50.
3. Poor throw in or were the ruckman just in the wrong spot?! Landed no where near them.
4. Ebert uncontested mark! Bloody hell!
5. Spang. You gotta halve the contest with Carlisle! Punch it 5 rows back.
6. Any chance of Brian not being held onto by Angus Wantfrees?

7. Thank god we held on! Bring on the week of the underdog!!

Plenty has been made of Port's poor kicking in the first. But on a rewatch it's noticeable that they were missing snaps under pressure and set shots from long range out on the boundary. Only one of Schulz's was something that really should have been kicked. So while they had plenty of the ball, we were doing well preventing them from generating good shots. Frankly we should have kicked at least 4 in the first as we were getting much better opportunities (although a lot less of them obviously).
Said exactly that to my son watching the game. We actually kicked badly and should have been at least 4 goals on the scoreboard first quarter, so kicking didn't help us much either .Port were so pressuring and fast . We did well to take it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

me too! that first (and last) quarter was disturbing. Port were scintillating. haven't seen us so flustered in many a year. The ball was a hot potato in our hands, always bounced the wrong places and we looked like headless chocks as Port ran rings around us. Can't see it happening like that again on Sat

W

We have Flamini and Arteta who are very capable defensive midfielders, plus Ospina has shown in 5 a side games in training that he can provide back up in the defensive midfield area... As for centre backs, we have lots of cover, especially since Steve Bould is back in training.....

haha - was trying to convince you that i was actually AW...

Sacre bleu, we pay you 6 million a year for that?

So, 4th place again?

If you can stand watching Barrett and Lyon for 30 seconds, check out this video from the 3 minutes mark to see the unique setup Port implemented half way through the fourth.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/crows-could-go-to-worsfold-ryder-to-gws

Essentially they lined up all their defenders at the back of the square for the center ball-ups and just all just charged through the middle, a masterstroke by Hinkley.

If you can stand watching Barrett and Lyon for 30 seconds, check out this video from the 3 minutes mark to see the unique setup Port implemented half way through the fourth.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/crows-could-go-to-worsfold-ryder-to-gws

Essentially they lined up all their defenders at the back of the square for the center ball-ups and just all just charged through the middle, a masterstroke by Hinkley.

Hinkley did some crazy-arse things with his half backs earlier in the match too. Essentially drew our small forwards away from the zones where they normally create so much pressure and, therefore, opportunities. Thought he coached very, very well.

I think Lewis has been the forgotten man in this game.
We were 29 points up, he came of and Port kicks the next 4 goals.
Had he stayed on and not got injured we could have won by 6 goals.

Was definitely in the votes when he went off and denied us of run in having to keep Cegs or Spang on. Only just heard tonight that Shiels has a broken nose too and was off during the last 4-5 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

Back