• Yes

Votes: 300 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You gave them pick 10 and 68. You received their first next year, pick 23 and pick 36 from them. Sorry for the intrusion, I just came over to congratulate the saints on this trade. At worst, their first next year is pick 18 and it's a solid win for you. At best, they tumble down the ladder and you guys have just generated two second rounders (and potentially even upgraded your first) out of nowhere. Brilliant stuff.

Thanks ... thread just seemed a bit headless without that information. Should have gone to the Trade thread first I guess. :)

Still a lot to play out of course. But assuming hawks lose Lewis, I'm not sure how hawks can hope to have a better year than this one.

Mitchell and Jaeger strengthen their midfield going forward, but for 2017 alone without Mitchell and Lewis? Considering Jaeger is an unknown, it breaks even at absolute best for Hawthorn.

They were still reliant on their older blokes too in 2016. Guys like sicily popped up here and there but for the most part it was the usual guys dragging them across.

Hodge, Birchall, Burgoyne, Gibson, Puopolo, Rioli et al won't have be improving, as good as they are.

They still have a desperate need for key positions. No real key forward and relying on the smarts of Gunston, Breust and the other two for their goals.

Their rucks? None of them really grabbed the position and made it their own. And all season they were developing a few key backs but none really looked as competent as a few other young blokes in the comp. There's a reason they went after Carlisle.

So whilst I think Hawks have done well going into 2018 and the like, right now i cannot possibly see how this trade works out poorly for St Kilda.

Very very shrewd work from our guys

Edit: should add the teams around them are likely to improve as well. Swans dogs have young lists. Cats will be there or thereabouts again. Crows might be adding Gibbs. The juggernaut of GWS. I'm happier with this trade the more i think about it

Statement from Melbourne in the last hour:

"We received an approach from Jordan Lewis’s management earlier this week regarding the possibility of him joining Melbourne. This was after discussions Jordan had with Hawthorn," the statement read.

"We understand that Jordan is contracted to Hawthorn, but we remain interested in looking at this option."

Melbourne wouldn't be continuing discussions with Jordan if he was comfortable with where things at Hawthorn were at.

Lewis on top of S. Mitchell, Hill and Hurting guts their midfield. I'd be shocked if O'Meara plays round 1, supposedly needs another knee scope. Fair to say they were lucky to make finals with the close wins masking a lot of their issues.

If we do trade one of our firsts, I hope it's ours.

Hawthorn trades it to St Kilda! St Kilda holds it! HOLDS IT!

BW3kn7xCMAAwox7.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statement from Melbourne in the last hour:

"We received an approach from Jordan Lewis’s management earlier this week regarding the possibility of him joining Melbourne. This was after discussions Jordan had with Hawthorn," the statement read.

"We understand that Jordan is contracted to Hawthorn, but we remain interested in looking at this option."

Melbourne wouldn't be continuing discussions with Jordan if he was comfortable with where things at Hawthorn were at.

Lewis on top of S. Mitchell, Hill and Hurting guts their midfield. I'd be shocked if O'Meara plays round 1, supposedly needs another knee scope. Fair to say they were lucky to make finals with the close wins masking a lot of their issues.

If we do trade one of our firsts, I hope it's ours.
Stevo said on the news that Lewis was going to request a trade to Melbourne..

Genuine question, if hawks win the premiership do we lose the deal?

I still don't think so

Genuine question, if hawks win the premiership do we lose the deal?

I still don't think so
18, 23 and 36 for 10 and 68 would still be a good deal IMO.

If there are 4 or 5 Free Agency Compos, and we end up with another 22 or 23, then maybe, and that's just bad luck.

Still, how likely is it? Under 10 is unbelievable. 10 is 23 and 36 for 68. In that range between is slightly less each time.

Especially clever if you consider that the Saints may have forced the Hawks first out by bidding on Titch in the first place. Well played by the Bains trust.

18, 23 and 36 for 10 and 68 would still be a good deal IMO.

If there are 4 or 5 Free Agency Compos, and we end up with another 22 or 23, then maybe, and that's just bad luck.

Still, how likely is it? Under 10 is unbelievable. 10 is 23 and 36 for 68. In that range between is slightly less each time.
It's unlikely it moves much.
This year there hasn't been a compo pick in the first round.

Still a lot to play out of course. But assuming hawks lose Lewis, I'm not sure how hawks can hope to have a better year than this one.

Mitchell and Jaeger strengthen their midfield going forward, but for 2017 alone without Mitchell and Lewis? Considering Jaeger is an unknown, it breaks even at absolute best for Hawthorn.

They were still reliant on their older blokes too in 2016. Guys like sicily popped up here and there but for the most part it was the usual guys dragging them across.

Hodge, Birchall, Burgoyne, Gibson, Puopolo, Rioli et al won't have be improving, as good as they are.

They still have a desperate need for key positions. No real key forward and relying on the smarts of Gunston, Breust and the other two for their goals.

Their rucks? None of them really grabbed the position and made it their own. And all season they were developing a few key backs but none really looked as competent as a few other young blokes in the comp. There's a reason they went after Carlisle.

So whilst I think Hawks have done well going into 2018 and the like, right now i cannot possibly see how this trade works out poorly for St Kilda.

Very very shrewd work from our guys

Edit: should add the teams around them are likely to improve as well. Swans dogs have young lists. Cats will be there or thereabouts again. Crows might be adding Gibbs. The juggernaut of GWS. I'm happier with this trade the more i think about it
They would not want 1 or 2 of Hodge, Burgoyne, or other experienced campaigners to be injured for a decent chunk, otherwise they will be a completely different proposition. All they have to do is lose the close ones rather than win the close ones, and that takes about 5 wins off their 2016 season. Bye bye Hawks.

Only question remaining, do we really believe our own 1st rounder will be a lower pick than the Hawks 1st rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Hawthorn 2017 1st Round Pick Watch

Back